Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura Mdx Intake Sensor Mod + 20 Hp

Found this on E-bay. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Does this mod sound like it will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871581531

This auction is for a timing advance, intake sensor modification kit. This mod is a 100% safe and 100% legal. This is a modification to your air intake temp sensor. This will tell your engines computer that it is breathing cooler air. This will increase the amount of fuel that your engine will inject and advance the ignition timing, resulting in significant horsepower gains throughout the whole RPM range. Give your car or truck up to 20 extra horsepower with a resistor kit. All parts are included in the kit with easy to follow instructions. Any one can install this item in under 10 minuets, no tools are required. The removal of the modification is just as fast and easy as the installation. So you can decide when you would like the extra power. This mod is only a fraction of the cost of those expensive ECU upgrades ($400+) and does exactly the same thing. This modification will not : Void your cars warranty, hurt your engine, ECU, computer ect. Use premium fuel for best results. Please email me with any questions or concerns you may have before you bid. I accept PayPal, Cashiers Check, Money Order and Personal Check. Shipping will be free for buyers who pay via paypal. If any other form of payment is used a $2.95 handling fee will apply. We only ship to the U.S. and Canada.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Basic problem!

Intake air temp that is NOT in fact COOL, WILL NOT SUPPORT as much ignition advance. Therefore you would get KNOCK and that would result in advance being backed off.

A big DUH on this "invention".

I REALLY don't think you'd want to override the knock sensor!

Another big "WHOA" -- this is just going to modify the sensor. If air volume&density are not increased but fuel was this would be read as RICH by the O2 sensor. Computer would again dial-back. If it did not, potential for sending unburnt fuel to converter == KABOOM!

I assume that the intake air temp sensor could be unscrewed and attacked to something cold (like an icepack) to trick it -- do you REALLY think for a minute that would result in 20 more Hp?!?!

Kids , don't waste your money!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Fact & fiction being mixed up here. Yes, cooler air into does normally mean a bit more pep because cooler air is denser and fills the cylinders more readily,
The overall impression is a bit more power, or smoother running. This is often experienced on cool foggy mornings.
But you would be fortunate to see a 5 hp increase.
The mod changes the fuel delivery while the engine is still intaking warmer air.
Guess what, you use more fuel since the air density is still low for the amount of fuel being delivered and you 'think' you feel more power. (More density contributes a better burn, but dumping more fuel with warmer air...well, you should get the point by now).
Whether you feel more power or not, you will begin to feel it in your wallet as your mileage drops. Plays hell with emissions too I bet.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wow ... at that price maybe I could afford two ... if 1 gives me 20HP, then 2 should give me 40HP ... then my 02 would have more ponies than an 03 ... hmmmm ... maybe I should buy 3 or 4.

Also, wonder if this mod improves MPG as well ... that would be really neat ... if it does this, maybe I'll buy 5 or 6 ...

Why has this been such a well kept secret ... it sure sounds great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought one - DON't WASTE YOUR MONEY. All the guy sends you is a resistor and some terrible pictures of how to install it. It isn't a chip or a mod, all it is is a resistor you can buy at any Radio Shack.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Go away big bad woolf

Sounds like the big bad PapaWoolf is setting a trap for little redrock ridinghood and her MDX. I would stay away if you don't want to get eaten. :twak:

MODERATOR, doesn't this thread belong somewhere else? Like say Parts, modifications, or scams are us. Just MHO.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Go away big bad woolf

dbehrens said:
MODERATOR, doesn't this thread belong somewhere else? Like say Parts, modifications, or scams are us. Just MHO.
Yup, moved to Accessories. No "scams" forum yet :)

BTW, I've noticed a significant increase in "shouldn't this be in the ___ forum" comments lately. Much appreciated. We do read the vast majority of the threads, but we don't always notice where they're posted; so comments to that effect are helpful!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
srpbep said:
Wow ... at that price maybe I could afford two ... if 1 gives me 20HP, then 2 should give me 40HP ... then my 02 would have more ponies than an 03 ... hmmmm ... maybe I should buy 3 or 4.

Also, wonder if this mod improves MPG as well ... that would be really neat ... if it does this, maybe I'll buy 5 or 6 ...

Why has this been such a well kept secret ... it sure sounds great.
Yeah huh? :p :19:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To All with the negative replies

I appreciate all the GREAT inputs on my question. Everyone on this site doesn't have a great deal of knowledge of automobile engines. I for one will admit that I don't, that's why I asked this question.

I thought this site was to help other members when they have a question and not to put them down dbehrens .

I'm not a salesman of the product nor would I try to advertise a SCAM to other members of this site. It's shame that quality of the MDX doesn't fit the personalities of some of the owners.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
papawolf,

Sorry if I offended you. Generally speaking with autos (and many other things in life), if it sounds too good to be true, then it is utter BS. The ones that seem to generate the most interest generally are directed at mileage and power.

Some of the other ones that I've seen are really cute:

** Oil with a lifetime warranty: Specifically, doesn't have to be changed until the engine is replaced or rebuilt.

** Battery with lifetime warranty: Guaranteed to function until the battery dies (e.g. end of life). Better yet, no minimum guarantee.

** Brakes with a lifetime warranty: Guaranteed until the brakes wear out. Better yet, no minimum guarantee.

·
Registered
180 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts