Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their front and rear door speakers on their 3rd gen Acura mdx? I called Crutchfied and they couldn’t help because they haven’t worked on that vehicle. Has anyone checked if the Metra 72-7800 Speaker Connector Harnesses works on the 2014 mdx? What speakers do people recommend without an amp upgrade? Should I run rear Co-axial and front Components at 2 ohms or Co-axial front and rear and 2ohms? Does anyone have the specs on the factory speakers, tweeters, and sub?

·
Registered
391 Posts
i could not find anything about the speakers in the owner's manual nor the service manual.

i'd say open up the door panel to get a measurement for the current OE speaker diameter and inspect the harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the rear door apart to get to the speaker. It was pretty easy. I found the speaker is only fastened by only one screw. Also I think the METRA 72-7800 Honda(R) Speaker Connectors might pug right in the wire harness. From the picture Does anyone know if there is a speaker adapter that would directly mount to the door?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The problem isn't finding the size.. the problem is that AFAIK Acura uses 2 OHM speakers which are very hard to find aftermarket. Using 4 OHM which is the norm will reduce total system output (Lower Volume).

·
Registered
391 Posts
The problem isn't finding the size.. the problem is that AFAIK Acura uses 2 OHM speakers which are very hard to find aftermarket. Using 4 OHM which is the norm will reduce total system output (Lower Volume).
interesting. but wouldn't efficient speakers (high in sensitivity) help get around that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so last night i upgraded my speakers. as you can see no modifications needed. the bracket fit like a glove. I did have to flip the speakers upside down in order for them to fit and had to buy new screws. The ones that come in with the speakers were too long or too short.

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
First question: do they sound noticeably better? Worth doing?

Which speakers did you go with, the Kappas? And what is the plastic part between the speaker and door, a separate baffle? If so, please identify.

I expect a lot of folks are interested in your experience. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is noticeably better. You can crank the volume to 40 with no distortion. I don't hear volume gain. Again these are running of the factory head unit. I'm sure with an after market amp they would sound even better. I went with the Infinity KAPPA 62.11I front and rear door. Your going to have to flip them when you install them. They don't fit if you have the terminals facing down The Kappa speakers has a hump that hits the speaker hole. The plastic you see its a mounting bracket. I didn't know if it was going to fit but it did. I had to buy new screws to connect the speakers the plastic bracket. The ones that come in the box are too short and too long.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Personally I don't need it any louder, and if it is as loud as stock but cleaner that works for me. After all with the 400+Watts in the OEM head there really shouldn't be any need for an external amplifier. Have you replaced all four door speakers? I have no idea how difficult it is to reach, but the center speaker is also a candidate for upgrade, as well as the subwoofer (which might need a new amplifier).

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did replace all 4 door speakers. You have to remove 3 fasteners to get to the speakers, very easy. I believe the center speaker size is 3 in. I don't have the impedance specs. If anyone knows please share. I'll upgrade the subwoofer next. Need to do more research first.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a feeling the clips should be similar like this. This is how my 05 TL center speaker looked like with the clips. I just had to pry it up high enough to get my fingers in and gently pull up. This is just a guess.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I went with the Infinity KAPPA 62.11I front and rear door.
I have a Base model MDX, so it has an 8 speaker system with somewhat lower quality speakers than Tech or Advanced I suppose. The door speakers are mid-range only, with the tweeters in the door pillars. Putting in the Kappas (2-way with tweeters) would either increase the highs (by adding an extra tweeter in each door) or do very little for the highs if there is a crossover splitting off the highs to the pillar tweeters before the door midranges. So I am wondering if it makes more sense to buy the Infinity PR6500CS component system (midranges with separate tweeters, nom 3 Ohms) and install them in the front doors and pillars. I wouldn't bother with the included crossover. The Kappas would make sense for the rear doors so the rear passengers could hear the highs. I suspect it might be best to stick with the Kappas on the front as well if the highs aren't too overwhelming in the front seats.

So Mario_MDX, how are the highs in the driver's seat? Too much brilliance? (I'm getting on in years so it may not even matter - the highs are definitely going away.)

For the center speaker Crutchfield shows 3-1/2". Again the OEM is a midrange whereas the Kappas are 2-way. Also they are sold in pairs but I suspect that we could match up pairs of buyers here. I've no idea of impedance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts