Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was considering replacing Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires on my 2011 Acura MDX with Michelin Premier LTX. My Latitude tires are 255/55/R18, 105H whereas Premier LTX are 255/55/R18 XL, 109H. Couple of shops I spoke with told me that LTX is eventually going to replace Latitude line and it will be OEM for most of the Acura models soon however person in Costco warned me that with Premier LTX XL my ride might become rough. Does anyone have experience with Premier LTX. What difference does XL really make?
Thanks,
Dev

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Premier appears to be a better tire all around with the exception of dry track performance and I feel sorry for anyone tracking an MDX.

You might want to take a look at tirerack.com for the owner reviews as well as their test results. I thought the Latitude was a fine tire when new but was not happy with the performance as the miles wore on. Tire rack reviews seem to follow that same story as most give them good ratings at low mileage but poor ratings with higher miles. How the new Premier holds up over time is less conclusive since it's fairly new but I'd be surprised if it's worse than the Latitude. Historically, the LTX line of tires have been exceptional. I run the LTX-MS2 and LTX-AT2 on my suv/truck and I would never buy anything else. Both easily last 50k-60k miles and don't get noisy or perform poorly as the miles build.

If comfort/quiet is your main interest, the Continental Crosscontact LX20 has been excellent so far with over 20k miles on them. Much more comfortable than the Michelins, better wet/snow performance, and significantly quieter as the miles add up. So far they're wearing exceptionally well. They do not handle quite as sharply as the Michelins but more than adequate for this type of vehicle. Others have had been very happy with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS+ as well although I can't speak first hand of that. Personally speaking, I wouldn't have bought another set of the Latitudes at half the price.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have LTX for my MDX Adv for about a year now. The thread depth is 8 new, and it is still the same depth a year later. I love the new LTX, I will buy them again when time comes.

1. The first 1000-2000 miles, the tires feel like if you walk on a newly paved road. It's sticky. It does not corner very well. Noisy. Off-ramp on sharp roundabout, you will feel slipping when drive more than posted speed limit. I hate the tires, regretted.

2. After 1000-2000 miles period, these tires are awesome and love it. Quiet, Comfort, Great on wet and light snow, and corner superbly. The car stops on a dime just like Michelin commercial.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Decided to go with Premier LTX

Thanks for your replies. I did go ahead with Premier LTX. Will post my experience after a few days of driving

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same Latitude Tour HP's on my '10 MDX, and put on the Premier LTX tires in place of them. I talked to both my local tire dealer AND a tech from The Tire Rack, and they both told me the same thing...that the LTX was going to eventually replace the Latitudes, and that it was a significantly superior tire. The consumer comments and test results on Tire Rack confirm that, and so I bought the LTX's. Ride quality is no different than the Latitudes, and although at first I thought there might be a bit more road noise, I think that was more me, listening more carefully than normal to determine any change in road noise. I'm more than pleased with my purchase...the real test, though, comes this winter in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just installed Hankook tires, overall experience is nice, they seem to be low rolling resistance as I see slight improvement in acceleration & mpgs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Curious to see what speed rating did everyone get for their LTXs. I just got the H-rated ones installed on my 13 MDX and was finally able to test them out on the highway on an 80mi round trip drive. I noticed that these didn't take high speed curves as crisply as the previous Latitude Tour HPs and kind of bounced a little. When going straight, I thought that these rode very nicely on the highway and gave a comfortable ride and are pretty quiet over the previous tires.

I'm just a little concerned about the cornering to the point that I'm thinking about returning these and going for the V-rated tires. I may also try to play with the tire pressure a little and go from 32psi to maybe 34psi or even 36psi to see if that makes any difference. I know either way, ride comfort will be sacrificed with higher tire pressure or even going with the V-rated tires. I may also just wait for them to break in more as nzone referred to:

2. After 1000-2000 miles period, these tires are awesome and love it. Quiet, Comfort, Great on wet and light snow, and corner superbly. The car stops on a dime just like Michelin commercial.
So anyone else noticed the same thing? I mean other than taking highway curves, I think that these tires are great! They ride very comfortably and give a quiet ride.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Curious to see what speed rating did everyone get for their LTXs. I just got the H-rated ones installed on my 13 MDX and was finally able to test them out on the highway on an 80mi round trip drive. I noticed that these didn't take high speed curves as crisply as the previous Latitude Tour HPs and kind of bounced a little. When going straight, I thought that these rode very nicely on the highway and gave a comfortable ride and are pretty quiet over the previous tires.

I'm just a little concerned about the cornering to the point that I'm thinking about returning these and going for the V-rated tires. I may also try to play with the tire pressure a little and go from 32psi to maybe 34psi or even 36psi to see if that makes any difference. I know either way, ride comfort will be sacrificed with higher tire pressure or even going with the V-rated tires. I may also just wait for them to break in more as nzone referred to:

So anyone else noticed the same thing? I mean other than taking highway curves, I think that these tires are great! They ride very comfortably and give a quiet ride.
My tires are 107H rated. These tires are soft when they're new. It feels like one of those sticky rubber toys that you through to the wall and stick. I did the same like you when I put on these tires, I took a 650 miles (roundtrip) road trip and felt the same way -- disappointed on cornering. I got them for a year now, these tires literally hug the road. I do 45-50 MPH on rotary road, going down hill and uphill curve around mountain doing 75-80 MPH (I-89), and these tires don't skip a beat. This is just my experience, don't hold me accountable 6 months from now :). I have a magnetic dampers on my MDX and a 19" version of the tires so this may play a role.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My tires are 107H rated. These tires are soft when they're new. It feels like one of those sticky rubber toys that you through to the wall and stick. I did the same like you when I put on these tires, I took a 650 miles (roundtrip) road trip and felt the same way -- disappointed on cornering. I got them for a year now, these tires literally hug the road. I do 45-50 MPH on rotary road, going down hill and uphill curve around mountain doing 75-80 MPH (I-89), and these tires don't skip a beat. This is just my experience, don't hold me accountable 6 months from now :). I have a magnetic dampers on my MDX and a 19" version of the tires so this may play a role.
Thanks, nzone! This does sound encouraging since what you just described is exactly what I felt with these new tires. Mine is a tech/ent so it doesn't have the 19" wheels, better shocks and thicker sway bar as the Advance like yours but I would imagine that if you felt a difference after running them longer then that shouldn't be too far off with mine as well. I guess time will tell.

I figure I will be putting close to 2k mi in the next couple of weeks so I'll also play around with the tire pressure in that time to see if that makes a difference. I have 30 days to decide if I want to switch to the V rated so will have to see how the next few weeks goes.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
New tires always feel a little squishy. Follow-up with how they feel once you get 1,000 miles on them as I'm curious as well on these LTX. The continentals have never got to the cornering performance level of the Latitudes but the other advantages were far more important to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
New tires always feel a little squishy. Follow-up with how they feel once you get 1,000 miles on them as I'm curious as well on these LTX. The continentals have never got to the cornering performance level of the Latitudes but the other advantages were far more important to me.

Continentals are known for soft sidewalls, to a fault, even in their ultra high performance tires. Good tires, poor turn-in/cornering response compared to others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts