Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to change my transmission fluid, but couldn't find the transmission fill bolt. I know easier way would be to fill it through dip stick, but still wanted to find the damn fill bolt.

I stopped by the dealership and asked a Tech. He pointed out that the bolt was underneath the injection kit (fluid pump???). It seems the injection kit was part of the modification for the 2004 automatic transmission recall. I have read several threads here, but didn't see much mention of this. Can someone confirm that bolt is underneath this injection kit?

Gear shift is not smooth around 40mph and 60mph.

2001/2002 MDX transmission fluid change (not total) capacity is 4 quarts per the manual. The tech said 3.5qts. Does anyone have any clarification on this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Fill bolt is #8 in the diagram. Drain is #11.

Acura online store

Look straight down to the left of the brake master cylinder. Think it takes a 19mm socket (might be 17mm sorry can't remember at the moment.) It's usually on pretty tight. You'll need extensions and might need a u-joint and cheater bar. (I use 1/2 inch tools and breaker bar.) You'll also need a long funnel. If your hand doesn't fit in the space, to get the bolt back in, you might need a magnetic tool or to tape the bolt lightly to the socket to hold it. There's no significant
internal pressure in the reservoir so to speak so need to replace the fill bolt washer (the older washers were larger diameter than the new ones so it might have a step in it from the bolt - just line it up.)

Whether it's 3.5 or 4 qts, buy at least 4. It might be 3.8 depending on how long you let it drip drain. Measure what comes out with your empty qt bottles and replace the same amount. If it's been awhile since the last fluid change or because of the condition you describe, you might want to repeat the drain and refill 3 times. (You could do one drain/refill, drive it, see how it goes and then do the next one in a 10-100 miles. You have to get a few miles in to get the new fluid in the system and mix.) There are posts on the 3x3 drain/refill, Lubeguard additive, etc on this site.

Sorry, maybe TMI, more than you asked for.

Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
FWIW, I just fill through the dipstick tube. I rigged up a funnel with a piece of plastic tubing that's big enough to force over the funnel, but that fits inside the dipstick hole (I recall I had to shave the end down a bit). I put enough tubing on the funnel so I route it through the hood latch cavity, which holds the funnel upright so I can pour and ignore while it drains into the tranny. It also prevents any possibility of the tube being dislodged during the process (since I'm not even touching it).

Yes, it'll take about a minute to pour a quart of fluid through this, but considering the awkward location of the fill bolt, and the potential for dirt or debris ending up falling in, I just can't be bothered. ;-)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re the Hopkins, I think they make different models. The tube on the one I use (not sure what brand) is about 16-18 inches long. You can use a tape measure, stick, or socket extensions to find the the length you'll need. The fill port is 3/4-1 inch.

To habbyguy's point, if you're going to use the fill port, wipe off the bolt head, washer, and the area around it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
FWIW, I just fill through the dipstick tube. I rigged up a funnel with a piece of plastic tubing that's big enough to force over the funnel, but that fits inside the dipstick hole (I recall I had to shave the end down a bit). I put enough tubing on the funnel so I route it through the hood latch cavity, which holds the funnel upright so I can pour and ignore while it drains into the tranny. It also prevents any possibility of the tube being dislodged during the process (since I'm not even touching it).

Yes, it'll take about a minute to pour a quart of fluid through this, but considering the awkward location of the fill bolt, and the potential for dirt or debris ending up falling in, I just can't be bothered. ;-)
I prefer this too. I found a piece of rubber coolant hose that fits the dipstick tube and also the end of my funnel. Fits snug and much easier than messing around with filler bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. I filled it via dipstick. I drove around for 15-20 miles and gear shift is very smooth...don't really feel it at all...

If somebody can actually post the image of 2002 filler bolt...when it is out and removed....that would be great.

Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.