Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talked to the Acura link people and it is $259 plus tax for a years subscription.

I do not mind so much the cost but hate their insistence on my leaving a credit card number on their file. I really hate doing this as seems everyone is hacked these days and would like for me to leave my cc in a few places as possible. They refuse to send me a bill and basically without a credit card number you can not even get the free trial.

I can afford the $259 but not sure it it is worth the cost. Mercedes demanded the same and I declined.

What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No for me for Acura link. I'm starting to get subscription burn out already with the amount of TV, phone, and internet subscriptions for stuff that used to be free.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've managed to drive my 2014 MDX 65K miles, including several coast to coast trips, for over 6 years 'without' an AcuraLink subscription.

I agree with your points and MrGold's point.

I suggest you just drive your vehicle and if after awhile you think the AcuraLink is something that would have benefited you to the tune of hundreds of dollars you can sign up at that time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it worth it? Probably not, but I have it for one reason only. I figure it insurance and a subscription fee for LoJack of sorts. I don’t pay for the premium as I have no need to talk to someone from the car, but to have it call out if I’m knocked out in an accident and call the police, or let the police know where my car is, to me is worth the cost.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It seems like every couple of years,someone starts a new thread on Acura link, is it worth it. Only you can determine if it’s worth it. There are features that may be important to you. There are features that may not be. If you don’t use Nav,maybe not. If your car is stolen or you’re in a bad crash,you may wish you had it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it had the capability of remotely unlocking doors, opening and closing windows/sunroof, and start/stop... I’d get it in a heartbeat. But for what it offers, I’ve personally never felt it was worth the price they ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I pay $159/year for the lower tier of service and I find it useful, but in a perverse way. We get good use of it for our over-the-road travel.

I say perverse because I am using it to overcome the serious deficiency of the MDX nav system. With the basic car, it is impossible to enter a destination when the car is moving due to interlocks. And it is further impossible to enter a destination with the voice recognition system because it it primitive and can’t deal with background noise. Still further, when I am stopped and enter the destination the system sometimes can’t find it. Or, if I just want to add, say, a town name, the system requires a specific address within the town, and I don’t have a specific address, and 100 Main Street (or anything else I try) just isn’t a place in most towns. And so forth. In short, the nav system sucks.

With AcuraLink one of us can enter a destination on the cell phone and send it to the car while we are on the road. And there are many more destinations that AcuraLink can find than what are programmed into the car data base. And it can actually deal with simple things like city centers. In other words, a far, far more complete and intuitive destination data base. And if I am driving alone I can just push the button and get an agent on the phone who will program my destination into the car for me.

So, for us, AcuraLink makes an unusable nav system usable. It is a band-aid. If our car had CarPlay I don’t know why I would have AcuraLink. And I can certainly understand those here who feel that for their use there is no need for AcuraLink.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just talked to the Acura link people and it is $259 plus tax for a years subscription.

I do not mind so much the cost but hate their insistence on my leaving a credit card number on their file. I really hate doing this as seems everyone is hacked these days and would like for me to leave my cc in a few places as possible. They refuse to send me a bill and basically without a credit card number you can not even get the free trial.

I can afford the $259 but not sure it it is worth the cost. Mercedes demanded the same and I declined.

What are your thoughts.
Easy question. How much did you use it prior, if a lot, then most likely worth it. If none or very little, not worth it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This analysis was part of choosing a Base model. Better maps and directions are available with my phone than the nav system has to offer. I would rather do my own research on where to eat, etc, and the phone is great for that. How many times does the world expect us to pay to listen to music? Pass. I don't really like the idea that I am being tracked as I drive, and especially that being networked means my car can potentially be taken over by malicious actors. It is nice that if stolen, Acura can locate and shut down the car, but ultimately that is what insurance is for - and if I wanted to add that I could probably do it for a lot less and keep control in my own hands. The idea of getting help in an accident is appealing, assuming you can't make a call yourself but the car can. Just where are you driving? In the city someone will help, or call. In the mountains the cell phone doesn't work. So we are talking about an accident that causes enough injury that I am unconscious (but alive, or what's the point?), that is not in an urban area, and is not in the middle of nowhere - about the chance of winning the lottery. Pass.

Many businesses are trying very hard to convert to a subscription model - because they get more money (and you spend more). I avoid subscriptions, and monthly payments, like the plague they are.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Easy question. How much did you use it prior, if a lot, then most likely worth it. If none or very little, not worth it.
Never........

Guess that answers my question. I would like some of the the remote features but can live without them.
Loving my new MDX.

·
Registered
1 Posts

What are your thoughts.
There are many options. Many cell phone GPS systems (google.apple) feature real time traffic updates and in some cases are better in in dash GPS. I guess if you traveling ...on the road all the time the subscription because of the other feature might be nice. However, for me, I'd just wait for ACURA NAV Update CD Discount and use my mobile phone.

·
Registered
623 Posts
keep in mind some insurance companies give a discount because you can use acura link to locate your car if it is ever stolen, or one of your children / friends has it. It also provides a service like Onstar in an accident. In fact, when my 2014 got hit near head on by a red light runner, Onstar called for Acura to make sure I was Ok. I only have the middle plan and not the premium one.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
keep in mind some insurance companies give a discount because you can use acura link to locate your car if it is ever stolen, or one of your children / friends has it. It also provides a service like Onstar in an accident. In fact, when my 2014 got hit near head on by a red light runner, Onstar called for Acura to make sure I was Ok. I only have the middle plan and not the premium one.
It is like buying insurance. I have had the active link systems in both Lexus and Mercedes for years and never used them a single time. Going to chance it for now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the connect so far it was worth it called Acura by it self as I didn’t responded when car got rear ended . Guess I could have called I my own .

Nav feature is helpful if I had apple CarPlay I wouldn’t have gotten it . So connect is fine I don’t need the higher level plan .

·
Registered
74 Posts
AcuraLink is only beneficial if your car gets stolen. Even if you get in an accident, your state Highway Patrol should have an easy number to dial. But then, there are other services that offer similar options and are sometimes (mostly) cheaper, such as Verizon Hum, are like $10 per month if that

When compared to NissanConnect, I'd avoid both like the disease, unless again, you live in a sketchy area or frequent to said sketchy area. Your Key fob literally does almost the same thing as the remote services, such as remote start.

Now companies are going towards the structure of services, because those are easy money for them to make from consumers. Just look at the dealership structure; they try to upsell you for services that you may or may not need, Microsoft with the Office 365, Apple with its iCloud storage, Playstation/Xbox for online multiplayer, etc...

Since OP, you never used AcuraLink before, its best to not get it, even if its tempting you. Your phone is the best option, if anything happens, or if you unforunately get into a collision, the bystanders or people around you will call the emergenies (EMTs, Police, etc.). You will not get any insurance discounts because of having AcuraLink (I know this, because my daily is equipped with NissanConnect, and Geico doesn't give a discount for both) .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
AcuraLink is only beneficial if your car gets stolen. Even if you get in an accident, your state Highway Patrol should have an easy number to dial. But then, there are other services that offer similar options and are sometimes (mostly) cheaper, such as Verizon Hum, are like $10 per month if that

When compared to NissanConnect, I'd avoid both like the disease, unless again, you live in a sketchy area or frequent to said sketchy area. Your Key fob literally does almost the same thing as the remote services, such as remote start.

Now companies are going towards the structure of services, because those are easy money for them to make from consumers. Just look at the dealership structure; they try to upsell you for services that you may or may not need, Microsoft with the Office 365, Apple with its iCloud storage, Playstation/Xbox for online multiplayer, etc...

Since OP, you never used AcuraLink before, its best to not get it, even if its tempting you. Your phone is the best option, if anything happens, or if you unforunately get into a collision, the bystanders or people around you will call the emergenies (EMTs, Police, etc.). You will not get any insurance discounts because of having AcuraLink (I know this, because my daily is equipped with NissanConnect, and Geico doesn't give a discount for both) .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
With due respect,your logic is flawed to me. There have been multiple cases of phones flying around in cars and people can’t find it or it’s out of reach. People have gone over embankments and no one sees them go over. Pull over sometime and see how many people actually stop. Smart phone batteries go dead pretty quickly. To actually count on someone stopping to help is flawed. Also while it may not be for you,why is it best not to get it? Why would you avoid it like a disease? Is the radiation going to kill you? You have a right to state your opinion. “Avoid like a disease” seems a little strong to me. As has been stated many times. It’s insurance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts