Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does everyone else feel that the color choices offered for our 'X are very limited. When I first started looking for one, I didn't like any of the exterior colors. After seeing them for a while, I started liking the GG. However, it came only in dark interior and my wife said NO to a dark interior. I was limited in choises with the saddle interior. Finally got the Red Rock Pearl. I did not pick the color because I love it or anything of that sort. It was the most appealing amongst the choices I had. I do like the color now though. Compared to the color choises offered in RX300 and X5, I thought choices in 'X were limited.

Recently, we were shopping for a Honda Accord. The same story. None of the colors were really appealing. We again got the red one. Not that we like the color, but within the choices, it was what we liked.

Who picks the colors at Honda? Do the Japanese executives pick them?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree. Its a good thing you weren't shopping for a s2000. when it was launched the only color choices were: silver, red, and black. they later on added yellow, and blue.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it's fairly typical for a new design to start with limited choices. e.g. I also initially looked at the Escape and the Highlander and each of them had only 5-6 color choices. I do think that, at least in 2001, the best colors available were the ones with Ebony interior (although I also liked DEP). Now with redrock and white, I think it's more balanced. I really think Acura should have a dark blue in the lineup with a choice of saddle or ebony (this would have been my pick). After going with GG it has grown on me and I really like it now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I Don't know why they could not offer all the colors with Ebony & Saddle interior. That would let every individual decide what color they want and even with limited color would increase the buyers option. I think the silver is the best color, but it comes only with black interior which I absolutely don't like.
But again if the manufacturer can sell with the way it presently is, why bother changing colors and giving more options to the buyers. It is the demand which controls everything in the end.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Color dilemna

We are feeling the same disappointment on the color selection. Ordered a Mahagony in November but found out last week that with only one more coming in and one person ahead of us on the wait list.... we're going to be out of luck.

I like the silver but I just don't like the idea of the black interior. There is a Black w/ saddle that may be available next month but I'm not too excited about the black exterior either.

My wife has pretty much vetoed any other color choice so now we're at a standstill!

I'm really disappointed in the way Acura handles the ordering/allocation process. It seems like if you put $ down on a car and choose a color and are willing to wait the 6 months or whatever you should be able to get that color eventually and not be stuck with a distant second choice.

Anyone have any clue if new colors will be available for 2003?

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I first started to look for an SUV, I said I would never get a black interior. I really wanted a Gray, but would take a Tan before I would even consider the Black.

In my looking around, with the MDX or the Lexus, the only choices were tan and black. I fell in love with the MDX, and my choices on exterior that I liked were either Silver, Granite Green, and Gold (forgot the actual color name). I really liked the Granite Green exterior, so I went ahead and settled for the black interior, which I promised myself to never get.

I have gotten used to the black and have grown to like it. It looks really nice, expecially after all the Zaino leather care on it The windows are tinted enough that on a hot day, the insides were not that hot. The only downside with the black interior is that the carpeting does show dirt easier, but thats just a matter of vacuuming it once a week.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Color dilemna

Hey-Jude said:

I'm really disappointed in the way Acura handles the ordering/allocation process. It seems like if you put $ down on a car and choose a color and are willing to wait the 6 months or whatever you should be able to get that color eventually and not be stuck with a distant second choice.
The allocation process is up to the dealer. We got one of the early Accords in the same process you descibed, and we hated it (the process, not the car). Our MDX purchase was much better. We put down our deposit on a specific vehicle that our dealer (Walker Acura, N.0.) had scheduled for production. When it went into production, our salesman called me with the VIN and kept us posted of the car's progress to N.O. When we placed the order we knew (within a couple of weeks) when our MDX would be delivered and what it would look like.

This process also meant that I didn't have to worry that I couldn't get down to pick it up until a week after it came in. At some dealerships if you can't pick it up right away, they sell it to someone else.

[BTW, we're satisfied with the color choices, because we got exactly what we wanted. However, we did have trouble coming up with a 2nd and 3rd choice.]
- Conrad

·
Registered
339 Posts
The color selection is limited? Well, there aren't that many MDXes to go around to begin with. :p :p

Personally speaking, I look at the topic differently. First of all, do you really think you can "mix and match" colors so that the interior and the body color works properly? I would think the design engineers and artists at Acura knows better since they can mix and match those colors and designs on the computer. Perhaps they also do design test with consumers too. The main idea is that a lot of color combinations sound good, but I won't want to buy one when I see one.

Tony

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tony:

My point is that I like the color choices on the RX300 and X5 better. Why can't MDX be offered in similar colors opposed the ones now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sure that there are some $$$ savings in their manufacturing by limiting the color combinations. But then, we're talking about just two interior colors here, not four or five. I don't understand why they can't offer all the colors with any interior colors.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You think you've got it bad in the States -- we can't even order Red Rock, White, GG or the soon-to-be Blue in Canada. We get stiffed on the NAVI, and we get stiffed on the colour choices (also: Black ext. comes with only one interior choice: ebony). The damn thing's built here, for God's sake!!!!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Honda and Acura generally take a very conservative approach to color selection options upon new model introduction but then expand the selection with each new model year. And dump the slow sellers.

Hey Jude.....be careful about rumors about 2003 colors. I remember all the speculative postings about what 2002 colors would be....some were right on....others dead wrong.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
octavian:

I agree that they might be conservative on the newer models. But there is no explanation of why they do it on established models such as the Accords. The choice on accords was very limited too... :(

·
Registered
715 Posts
GCK, hey, hey, hey, Honda/Acura CAN get down, they can get downright funky when they want to!

Check out the new flavors of the NSX:

The Stunning "Imola Orange Pearl" (I am not making this up!)
The Sunglass Defying "Berlina Black" (sounds like my first girlfriend)
The Pam Anderson Inspired "Long Beach Blue Pearl"

And, drumroll please, my perennial favorite,

"Spa Yellow Pearl"

Now, picture, if you will, these colors on Accords.

......................................!

Nah!

:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
The extreme lack of color choices has been one of my only complaints with Acura over the years. I realize it is done as a cost-cutting measure, but I was blown away when I shopped for my BMW and found that I could order any of about 15 exterior colors with any of 10 or so interior combinations. Porsche will even let you mix your own color (for a couple grand extra)! I agree that Acura could and should allow a bit more flexibility.

·
Registered
467 Posts
According to the BMW web site, there are 9 exterior colors with 5 interior available, and not all combos. Acura has 7 ext and 2 interior. Certainly the Acura choices are more limited. I guess it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Re: Color dilemna

Hey-Jude said:
There is a Black w/ saddle that may be available next month but I'm not too excited about the black exterior either.
You may want to give Black/Saddle another look. Here is a link of pics I took of mine (pre-Zaino) the day I brought it home last October.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=47793

To see what Zaino can do on Black (and this is a link to TheWorm's MDX pic) my Zaino shine is not quite this stellar.
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3870&highlight=zaino+group+buy

I also wanted saddle interior and am very happy with the Black. With 3 coats of Zaino now, it is very easy to keep clean.

Saddle also comes with White, RedRock, Mesa Beige, Mahoghany & Emerald Green (if that hasn't been discontinued yet).

Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts