Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gotten a third key here or know how to do it? can i get it from acura or can i get it form somewhere else?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Give Tim a call. He's da man!

rflagg

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
good question. I will like to know it for future preference as well.

But as what I understand, it is not a good idea to cut a key from third party. You suppose to cut the key from dealer, b/c all the key are encrypt with security chip. With third party key, you could only start up the engine once. :confused:

hmm.. but cut key from dealer is also more expensive................. :mad:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
At first I wanted one ...

... but reconsidered when I thought about how a third key fob would work.

Yes a third key and fob can be obtained from the dealer. However only two fobs can be set to the seat memory positions. After second thoughts we decided it was more of a hassle and cost than benefits. But it can be done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as you get an acura key then it will work, because you can program the chip yourself and have it cut down at your local hardware store

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can program the remote yourself (do a search for threads on howto), but not the key itself. I know because I lost a key and a remote and had gone through the process of replacing them. My local dealer wanted an arm and a leg for them, but Tim will replace and program the key for $25, and the remote for $85. You'll need to send in a key for the reprogramming; I sent my valet key.

Someone mentioned that any Acura or Honda remote can be programmed to work on MDX, though I haven't try that myself. If so, you can probably get one from EBay real cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts