Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
With the thread heading I was expecting to see that Acura is on the top 10 list for dependable vehicles under lease.

Reactions: E92Vancouver

·
Registered
474 Posts
lol. Wasr not a chance, but depending on which link you choose in google search for top lease vehicles you can find any vehicle in top 10 including Hyundai!!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Something like this needs to be taken with in context -

This year, most vehicle problems stemmed from voice recognition, poor-shifting transmissions and failing batteries.
This is wildly different than having a blown engine, having a wheel fall off, or having the wipers break.

The voice recognition and infotainment systems in general are problematic for all auto makers and they don't strand one out in the desert or up in the mountains (like my Ford Exploder did when the transfer case broke internally). This isn't a reliability data point where something initially worked but then broke, but one of functionality.

The 'poor shifting transmission' is somewhat subjective, since what feels terrible to one driver might feel fine to another, and not quite the same as a transmission actually breaking, i.e. reliability. It's a behavior aspect rather than reliability.

The failing batteries can affect any vehicle since there are only a handful of battery manufacturers but there is a potential issue if the manufacturer doesn't specify an adequate battery that can handle the increased electrical demands of vehicles nowadays.

I blindly clicked on that link without seeing it was JD Power - one of the poorest designed and annoying websites on the internet thanks to all of it's various popups and busy-ness.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
LOL, you know that these ratings are very distant from reality, right?

Also, how exactly does one determine whether a 2018-2019 car is reliable or not? You need at least 5, or better 10 year span in order to determine that.

Like these BS "best cars of the year awards" which is clearly biased, these ratings are completely out of touch.

·
Registered
414 Posts
LOL, you know that these ratings are very distant from reality, right?

Also, how exactly does one determine whether a 2018-2019 car is reliable or not? You need at least 5, or better 10 year span in order to determine that.

Like these BS "best cars of the year awards" which is clearly biased, these ratings are completely out of touch.

These were owners of 3 year old vehicles that were asked about their experiences.

I wish they'd asked me - my 2006 has 407 000 km on it, with no major repairs. Still original A/C blows ice cold, tranny is fine, engine is smooth. Suffering a small RMS leak now, but after 400k, I can't really complain.

My 2014 has 185 000 KM and the most serious repair was a rear parking sensor that stopped working.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My understanding is these kinds of rankings, are based on number initial customer complaints within a certain period of time. One thing to remember here is the more expensive a car tends to be, the more perfection the owner (usually well-educated) expects from it. I bought a TSX in 2004 and after a few hundred miles thought my steering wheel was a degree or two off center. I had the service department fix it and actually got a rude call from the salesman who said I should have told him first and that I made him look bad and how this would affect the dealership rankings.

Now I am guessing the buyer of a Chevy Cruze would have been less likely to raise such a complaint. Or complain about some other minor imperfection with their vehicle the way a Acura, Lexus, MB, Audi, or BMW owner might. You just have to take all these rankings and reports with a grain of salt.

From my experience my 04 TSX had that steering wheel deal and a bad headlight housing that needed replaced under warranty, that was about it. My 13 RDX has only had 2 issues in its 69K miles a frozen rear caliper and a bad HDD (under warranty) in the audio unit. The 18 MDX 11K miles, not a single problem since new. All in all, no complaints.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Well, if you look at the full JD list you will notice that most of the luxury brands are actually on the more reliable side of the spectrum. Acura and Honda quality has gone down for a long time now, so it's not really surprising to me. And even if most the complaints are about the infotainment, there's a considerable amount of things to complain about it that aren't necessarily due to user error. It just sucks to begin with until the 18 model.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts