Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just want to ask if anyone know when will the Acura GPS update price go down? Cuz right now is 149, and someone reported that they got it in 99.

Thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got something in the mail awhile back for a navigation update for $99.00 but I'll probably wait til summer to actually do it

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
There is really little reason to spend that kind of money except maybe every two or three years. Unless you absolutely must have the latest maps for some reaason the minimal updates you wilo see you probably wont know the difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is really little reason to spend that kind of money except maybe every two or three years. Unless you absolutely must have the latest maps for some reaason the minimal updates you wilo see you probably wont know the difference.
I personally would like the refreshed look considering my X is a 2014

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update is archaic

I have a 2017 MDX; my daughter has a Mercedes and my son-in-law has an American made truck. We all have cellphones. My car is the only one where you have to pay for updating the GPS. Their car's GPS automatically update and so obviously do our phones. Acura is, I am told, a luxury car - why should I have to pay $149 for the GPS to update? The need to pay for yearly GPS updating is dated and archaic.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have a 2017 MDX; my daughter has a Mercedes and my son-in-law has an American made truck. We all have cellphones. My car is the only one where you have to pay for updating the GPS. Their car's GPS automatically update and so obviously do our phones. Acura is, I am told, a luxury car - why should I have to pay $149 for the GPS to update? The need to pay for yearly GPS updating is dated and archaic.
I don’t know how they decide these things. Adaptive cruise is standard on all trim levels of mdx. Yet it’s only available on the highest trim level for MB. Someone decides what to charge for and what not. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Acura still needs dvds to update. However,less expensive cars offer Apple CarPlay. Acura includes CarPlay. BMW offers it as a subscription. Who know how that is decided.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Never seen a free update on an indash GPS unit. Every one I have ever seen forced you to buy. But heck where I live updating maybe every 5 years is more than sufficient. What bugs me more is the lack of locations I can use traffic monitor. I means LA is like 1500 miles from me. Chicage is over 2000 and NY is over 3000. My cheap dash mounted Garmin I could get for anyplace I drove for free.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never seen a free update on an indash GPS unit. Every one I have ever seen forced you to buy. But heck where I live updating maybe every 5 years is more than sufficient. What bugs me more is the lack of locations I can use traffic monitor. I means LA is like 1500 miles from me. Chicage is over 2000 and NY is over 3000. My cheap dash mounted Garmin I could get for anyplace I drove for free.
Free updates for built in GPS are rare, but not unheard of. Volvo lets you download and install map, POI and system updates for their Sensus Navigation. There are turnkey PC/Mac applications which manage the downloads. Start up and walk away, as the updates are *really* big if you do the whole country. Transfer the files to a 64GB thumb drive, plug that into the car's USB port, and it automatically recognizes the updates and asks if you want to install. For cars with Sensus produced before November 2015, Volvo will even do a complimentary Sensus Connect upgrade so people can do the updates.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Recent Hondas use a Garmin-based built-in Nav system, and free quarterly updates are available from Garmin for at least 5 years. The update process uses the Garmin Express software, just like Garmin stand-alone GPS devices. What happens after 5 years of ownership is unknown.

Garmin gets its road maps from HERE, the same provider as for Acura built-in systems. But the updates for most Acuras get pressed onto DVDs for sale and distribution, so they probably lag behind the latest releases.

Don't even get me started on what's going on with 2019 RDX; it's a mess. And apparently NSX uses the Garmin system.

Anyway, in general I agree with purchasing an update every few years, or not at all.

Some map updates do include updates to the navigation software, including for 2014 MDX. ( They are provided on a separate install disc bundled with the map update. ) But unfortunately, 2014 was orphaned because of a hardware change going forward. It can't run the same software as 2015, which got enhanced ( semi-functional ) voice recognition as an update to the originally installed software. And there have been further changes to both hardware and software after 2015.

If you're after the "latest" archaic software for a 2014 MDX, consider getting a map update that has gone on discount because a new one has been released. Discounted discs are usually $99 vs $149 for the latest release. But you might want to check the revision level of your current software. It's available in the "settings" menus.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The $99 price comes every spring, but I haven't seen it yet this year.

I plan on getting the update around the 5 year mark (next year) just to update the background software of the unit to hopefully kill off some of the bugs (like the screen contrast issue) rather than updating the maps because HERE is a POS at their job.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The map update doesn’t change the underlying software.
Actually yes it does, but I get where you're going with this. While the look and feel doesn't really change, it has been demonstrated multiple times in older threads that the version of the infotainment software actually gets updated as well. There is just a upper limit to the upgrades because years like the 2014 probably aren't getting any further upgrades, but later years like the 2016 have still been seeing version upgrades. The newer versions have also been solving some of the issues we've been encountering.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have Subaru OB which comes with 3 years of no cost updates .
Acura can does that also but consider themselves premium brand to charge .

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have Subaru OB which comes with 3 years of no cost updates .
Acura can does that also but consider themselves premium brand to charge .
My bmw comes with free OTA updates for 4 years. Only by region though. MB includes updates for 3 or 4 years. But bmw charges $80 a year for Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had a 2019 loaner today while my 2019 advance was getting the tail light recall done and I noticed that the maps in the loaner were more up to date than on my vehicle. Since they are both 2019 I would expect them to have the same maps version. Has anyone had success in getting acura to update their maps in an instance like this? I plan on calling them tomorrow to complain and see what they say.

No excuse from my perspective why different 2019s would have different map versions. If you buy a 2019 you should get the most up to date version of maps being shipped with other 2019s.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I had a 2019 loaner today while my 2019 advance was getting the tail light recall done and I noticed that the maps in the loaner were more up to date than on my vehicle. Since they are both 2019 I would expect them to have the same maps version. Has anyone had success in getting acura to update their maps in an instance like this? I plan on calling them tomorrow to complain and see what they say.

No excuse from my perspective why different 2019s would have different map versions. If you buy a 2019 you should get the most up to date version of maps being shipped with other 2019s.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
How do I check the maps "version #" in a 2019? This is the version # of the map data itself not the overall software version #, unless they are the same?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts