Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, maybe they'll pull their heads out of their behinds and improve before it's too late? This isn't 70-80s, you can't full people any more.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What world do we live in where Audi is #3 and Acura is #19, haha.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, maybe they'll pull their heads out of their behinds and improve before it's too late? This isn't 70-80s, you can't full people any more.
Too late for me. I have owned many Honda's but this was my first Acura and will be my last. I am going to dump this POS as soon as I can get my layoff situation sorted. But given this wonderful economy because of the Gooberment's idiotic policies, that might be never.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Id still like to see their cost of ownership. Typically, the japanese cars are much cheaper to own for 8-10 years even if their initial quality ranks have dropped.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A lot of this had to do with HMC's inability to properly distinguish and position Acura as a premium brand. A premium brand requires higher QC and higher quality materials throughout. It also requires a better dealership and service experience as well which is sorely lacking from Acura dealerships (they behave the same as a Honda dealership, just different color scheme).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not surprised. And our resale value is sadly going to suffer.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, people are like zealots when it comes to cars and especially with Honda/Acura. Honda/Acura is living off of their superior 1990s capabilities and in my observation, the people who drive Hondas have been driving them for 20+ years and are extremely loyal to the brand, allowing Honda to get away with murder. The tide is slowly turning, especially for millennials who now have the financial means to buy more trendy cars (meanwhile Acura has made uninteresting cars for a while). A good bunch of my friends have finally retired their aging Accords and gotten C-class, 3-series, etc.

That said, I believe the MDX still has mass-market soccer mom/dad appeal, and people who buy it want a nice value of a 3rd row vehicle and they don't know any better so they'll put up with shoddy quality, ridiculously noisy suspension and a few other unrefined characteristics because they don't know any better. Perhaps Acura has given up on the premium sports segment because they know the expectations are higher, instead they're making the minivan of SUVs and sedans and assuming they can get by with cost cutting as their target market base isn't critical or educated.

All that said, everyone I tell about our MDX (before saying anything negative), they think so highly of the car and brand... I think that will help with resale...

I used to tell people not to buy Hondas in the early 00s because they all used timing belts and would require a $1k service at 60-90K miles, but people didn't stop. Meanwhile, Nissan cars basically require no maintenance for 100K+ miles. People still felt Hondas were cheaper to operate.

Finally, if you look at how many MDX are sold and compare it to the traffic on this and similar Acura forums, it is peanuts. Go look at any other SUV and many more people are involved despite way lower sales figures. The XC90 forums is HUGE, people are going in talking about options configurations, colors, pre-shopping experience, etc. Here it's like one person a week. So that just helps to prove that the average MDX buyer isn't really going on and researching, they're trusting the brand and the value proposition and buying an SUV that on paper looks freaking awesome, but comes up short in some hard to perceive quality areas. I think this blind and uneducated interest in the MDX will continue to make it a great resale value. Not to mention the MDX was cheaper than a lot of its competitors to begin with, so the residuals will stay more competitive on the resale market.

Honda/Acura will slowly continue to lose their loyal fan base and there isn't a big market of new buyers lining up for them. Time to wake up and smell the coffee...

·
Registered
314 Posts
A lot of this had to do with HMC's inability to properly distinguish and position Acura as a premium brand. A premium brand requires higher QC and higher quality materials throughout. It also requires a better dealership and service experience as well which is sorely lacking from Acura dealerships (they behave the same as a Honda dealership, just different color scheme).
I agree with some of this post, however if you sit inside even the new Pilot for a drive and compare it to the MDX, you will see the MDX is a nicer, quieter, more agile feeling car - it does feel more premium.

But you are correct that the car is not the leap that Lexus is from Toyota, although part of that is due to Honda being generally nicer than Toyota to start with.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly about the dealership experience. Absolute zero difference from Honda, where if you walk into any other premium car maker, Audi, BMW, Lexus, the physical dealership and the way you are treated is a LOT different. Its the difference between Best Western and a 4 star resort, yeah you can get a night sleep in either one, but if you are paying more, you sort of expect the latter.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree with some of this post, however if you sit inside even the new Pilot for a drive and compare it to the MDX, you will see the MDX is a nicer, quieter, more agile feeling car - it does feel more premium.

But you are correct that the car is not the leap that Lexus is from Toyota, although part of that is due to Honda being generally nicer than Toyota to start with.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly about the dealership experience. Absolute zero difference from Honda, where if you walk into any other premium car maker, Audi, BMW, Lexus, the physical dealership and the way you are treated is a LOT different. Its the difference between Best Western and a 4 star resort, yeah you can get a night sleep in either one, but if you are paying more, you sort of expect the latter.
My friend just got a brand new fully loaded Highlander, and I'm not sure the Acura looks more premium. Your brain immediately wants to think so because of brand reputation, but that Highlander is damn nice in its top trim. The agility of the MDX and the SH-AWD system is superior of course, but the fake wood trim is pretty darn bad. I'm not against fake wood trim, but this is like Fisher Price fake wood trim :)

I'd say the Highlander actually looks more premium especially the use of chrome and wood (fake or not). The A/C vents looks "nicer" on the Highlander in my opinion:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Agreed about the Highlander. I drove it back to back with the MDX and the only reason I chose the MDX over the Highlander was because the wifey and I thought the old Toyota V6 was a bit underpowered and the suspension was too floaty for us (she drives a sporty coupe as her DD). Looking back, if Toyota ever decided to make a sporty version, I probably would have never considered Acura. That being said, all we can do now is keep complaining (the dealer told me they don't even pass up the non-safety complaints most of the time, so the only time Honda hears about the problems are when we bring it in for actual diagnosis and repair request) and maybe figure out a few fixes on our own (something I picked up from my Subaru days).

·
Registered
314 Posts
My friend just got a brand new fully loaded Highlander, and I'm not sure the Acura looks more premium. Your brain immediately wants to think so because of brand reputation, but that Highlander is damn nice in its top trim. The agility of the MDX and the SH-AWD system is superior of course, but the fake wood trim is pretty darn bad. I'm not against fake wood trim, but this is like Fisher Price fake wood trim :)

I'd say the Highlander actually looks more premium especially the use of chrome and wood (fake or not). The A/C vents looks "nicer" on the Highlander in my opinion:
The only thing I agree with is the fake wood trim, I wish it was brushed aluminum like the RDX.

Otherwise, I disagree. My neighbor also has one, the design and the materials are not nearly as nice as my car, IMO. The leather feels thinner, its much noisier inside and feels much more like a truck on the road. Also, we paid nearly the same price for our cars ( he paid 42k, I paid 45k ) for relatively similar equipment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The only thing I agree with is the fake wood trim, I wish it was brushed aluminum like the RDX.

Otherwise, I disagree. My neighbor also has one, the design and the materials are not nearly as nice as my car, IMO. The leather feels thinner, its much noisier inside and feels much more like a truck on the road. Also, we paid nearly the same price for our cars ( he paid 42k, I paid 45k ) for relatively similar equipment.
I bet your rear suspension is WAY noisier though ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I personally disagree on the new 2015 Highlander vs. 2015-16 MDX. It certainly got better inside but uglier outside, much like mini-vanish look, reminds me KIA. I owned 2011 Highlander and traded it for 2016 MDX. I still like the looks of pre-2015 Highlander way more than the new one. Now on the contrary Highlander is still a great reliable car, we had no problems with it. It is just little boring in terms of driving and some other features like Navigation looking ancient, no BT audio.
In my opinion MDX is a great car, fun to drive, lots of nice features.... but sadly it has some quality issues, poor assembly practices etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bet your rear suspension is WAY noisier though ;)

Yeah this noisy suspension. You know, recently I drove couple other brand new 2016 MDX-es off the various dealerships and they ALL sound identical. Funny when I pointed it out to Salesmen while we were driving, he said MDX like any Japanese car is lighter, so it bounces like a ball :) I don't know about that, to me it more looked like somebody was cutting corners and made some poor choices with the suspension design. Anyway I am over it now, just trying to more focus on the things I enjoy about the car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I personally disagree on the new 2015 Highlander vs. 2015-16 MDX. It certainly got better inside but uglier outside, much like mini-vanish look, reminds me KIA. I owned 2011 Highlander and traded it for 2016 MDX. I still like the looks of pre-2015 Highlander way more than the new one. Now on the contrary Highlander is still a great reliable car, we had no problems with it. It is just little boring in terms of driving and some other features like Navigation looking ancient, no BT audio.
In my opinion MDX is a great car, fun to drive, lots of nice features.... but sadly it has some quality issues, poor assembly practices etc.
I agree, the last generation Highlander was a great looking SUV. I also think the new one looks more minivanish, but I also think the MDX looks very minivanish if not moreso. It's obvious they're SUVs, but it's a bit more vanish than a lot of cars in the segment.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Actually mine does not suffer from that problem for some reason.
I heard it in the loaner as well, so perhaps you just have better roads or aren't sensitive to the noise as I am. That or you got the golden goose of MDX's.

To be honest, I would pay my Acura dealer $1,000 right now to fix the problem regardless of warranty. If someone told me KYB made replacement struts that fixed the problem, I would void my rear suspension warranty and pay out of pocket to get it fixed. Despite it being a brand new car, I would do all of that, it's that bloody bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Actually mine does not suffer from that problem for some reason.
Try turning the music down and go over some rough roads. I don't believe yours will sound different than mine or any other ones I tried recently. But I wish I was wrong, so hopefully your's are indeed different.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Try turning the music down and go over some rough roads. I don't believe yours will sound different than mine or any other ones I tried recently. But I wish I was wrong, so hopefully your's are indeed different.
I actually dont drive with music unless my daughter is in the car, I feel more calm in the quiet.

As far as rough roads, Arlington VA has plenty of those. Ive listened to a few videos and I dont have that noise. I mean, there is a slight noise from both ends when you hit something like a manhole cover, but its nothing like whats on the videos.

Perhaps the problem needs more miles to manifest itself, I only have 750ish.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts