Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess there isn't much point in posting this except to vent, and ask if others have had similar experiences. We recently purchased a Lexus and both the sales and purchase process were exactly what you would expect from an organization that is concerned with customer satisfaction. My experience from the only Acura dealer in town has been anything but...

I was greatly impressed with the sales process at our local Acura dealer, they allowed me to drive the MDX overnight, and were able to provide me the answers to any questions, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I placed the order and it has been the delivery process that has been really lousy. If I wasn't educated by so many of you on this board I might not know if anything was out of the ordinary. I was given two separate build dates and am still without an MDX.

I was given a build date of 10/28-11/01, and based on what everyone has said from their experiences I called my dealer sometime around the 11/5 to request a VIN so I could lock in my financing, dealer said they didn't have the car listed on their transit report (yes, I was speaking directly with the manager.) I continued to call the dealer and they continued saying the VIN was not on their transit report. Long and short of it, the dealer essentially said that the car disappeared and could give no better explanation. But wait, days later they then tell me that everything has been corrected and that I have a new build date which should end on 11/18. you guessed it! Here I am again waiting, without a VIN number, without the dealer being able to give me a reason. Every time that I speak to the manager he acts as if nothing is wrong and tells me that I should get my VIN number any day. I told him I understood that the VIN should be on the transit report which should be in a day or so after the build date. His only answer is that is not always the case.

At this point I am really stuck and frustrated. My wife and I just had our first child and are now making due with only one car. I work really crazy hours and making due with one car has put an extra pressure on us when we didn't need one. We sold our other car shortly before our first build date when we got an offer much better than what the dealer would have given us.

The thing that gets me is that there doesn't seem to be any accountability, no concern for their reputation, and the fact that the manager continues to bold face lie to me about what is normal in the delivery process. Sorry to sound like I am whining, but I was hoping that you all might have some ideas or insight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
any build dates in writing on the sales order form?? if so, take it up to BBB.. also, ask to see the alocation report (which car goes to which person) ... if they are really "honest" - they'll gladly show it to you..

·
Registered
421 Posts
rspitz-

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have heard of some "problem dealers" on this forum, but it is hard to generalize. Hopefully you can get some feedback on others that have purchased their SUV from the same dealer. Remember, problems do happen.

I would call the dealer every day until you get some better satisfaction. I would also make it a point to see the sales manager in person and see a copy of the intransit report and allocation report.

Also, I would make the point that you sold your old car based on the build date and now are incurring additional expenses / headaches. Perhaps they will throw in some accessories for your troubles and dealer goodwill (request it).

It is too late now, but in the future should you buy another car and sell it privately around anticipated "receipt date", I would sell it with the stipulation that person takes title when you receive your call. Also, having the dealer handle a "pass-thru" will eliminate the state sales tax of the "trade-in on paper."

·
Registered
339 Posts
rspitz said:
..The thing that gets me is that there doesn't seem to be any accountability, no concern for their reputation, and the fact that the manager continues to bold face lie to me about what is normal in the delivery process. Sorry to sound like I am whining, but I was hoping that you all might have some ideas or insight.
I am sorry to hear your problem. I think by giving more direct personal story like this, Honda can finally catch up with the service end of the car business. It seems we are all buying this fantastic car but hope for good services. It shouldn't be that way. There are good dealers out there who provide good selling experience (mine included.) My post in Galary section has my story. On the waiting time, my experience focuses on the where is my position in the queue. My built date and delivery was fairly close.. and your salesperson is responsible of telling you where you are.

·
Registered
411 Posts
rspitz:

Sorry to hear about your 'X ordeal. You could always ask the dealership for a loaner while you wait for your car. One of the dealers I was working with told me that he could accomodate me with a loaner for as long as one month. Your case certainly deserves it.

Unfortunately, most Acura dealers are nothing but same old plain Honda folks. However, I did find that there are good Acura dealers, and most would try to accomodate your needs.

However, the joy of having the baby should overcome the sorrow of not having the 'X. Enjoy the baby while waiting for your X.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Alas, this seems to be the Gold Standard for Acura dealers more often than not. Of the numerous Acura dealers that I vistted in Los Angeles last year when looking, only one of them was even remotely decent.

They seem to simply not care is the bottom line, and corporate is just as bad if not worse. You buy the vehicle in spite of Acura and their dealers, not because of it. I had a Lexus too, and the difference in the dealer and corporate philosophy is truly remarkable.

Tom

rspitz said:
I guess there isn't much point in posting this except to vent, and ask if others have had similar experiences. We recently purchased a Lexus and both the sales and purchase process were exactly what you would expect from an organization that is concerned with customer satisfaction. My experience from the only Acura dealer in town has been anything but...

The thing that gets me is that there doesn't seem to be any accountability, no concern for their reputation, and the fact that the manager continues to bold face lie to me about what is normal in the delivery process. Sorry to sound like I am whining, but I was hoping that you all might have some ideas or insight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

Unbelievable the chutzpah of some dealers...

Based on everyone's suggestions I pushed for and got a loaner from my local dealer.

I put a deposit down at a dealer in another city.

My local dealer was unable to explain what happened to my two previous build dates. I kept asking, and after showing up at the manager looked in my eyes and told me that he had misread the allocation report (twice!!??). Does that sound possible? I don't know but I figure he looks at these reports everyday, and they are his livelihood. I do appreciate the loaner but I don't understand what he is thinking.

The manager gave me the loaner car, said that he expected to be able to do a trade for the MDX I wanted. I asked what the likelihood of that was. He said he was sure he could do it, and wouldn't otherwise give me a loaner if it was going to be an indefinite period.

The manager told me that another dealer owes him two vehicles, and that they have the MDX I want on order with a build date of 12/3-12/7, and that he has worked out the deal to comp him for the two vehicles they owe him he/they will log onto the Acura system and change the dealer destination prior to it ever leaving the factory.

Has anyone heard of anything remotely like that?

So here is the kicker I can't figure out. Now my third build date has come and gone and what...? Tonight I call the manager, STILL NO VIN!!! I don't understand why he would keep stringing me along if he truly has no hope of getting the MDX I had ordered. When I hung up, he said what he has said many times before that he is pretty sure he should have a VIN tomorrow.

So can anyone think of a logical reason to just keeping stretching it out, and why he would give me a loaner if he didn't think that he could get me my MDX?

I'll keep you updated and hope to back tomorrow with my VIN. Call me an optimist. ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good luck

I sure hope you get your 'X. I agree, push for the VIN. That's the only way you know you'll be getting it. I'd also hold on to the loaner for as long as he keeps stringing you along. A free car is a free car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
rspitz,
Did the dealer tell you that you were on the "board"?
I called my dealer last month and told me they should have a build date/Vin early in December.
Called December 1st and was told that I was on their "board", pushed for VIN or build date but they did not know.

Called just this afternoon and asked to speak to the sale manager and he explained that getting on the board meant that my 'dx was just ordered, my name is on the "board" and will put a build date/vin next to my name when they get it from the factory, and call me when this happens.

I think what I will do is when they call, I will visit the dealership, take a pic of the so called "board" to make sure a the 'dx that was allocated to me doesn't go to the highest bidder....I was assured that this does not happen but as they say .."cash is KING".

Good luck to you and let us know how this saga unfolds.

Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
megabuck2,

Interesting question about being on "the board." It never occurred to me to go in and take a picture to get hard evidence.

This is one of those dealerships that the Sales Manager is the only person that has access to real information. There is no board that I have noticed with units with different customer's names on it like I have seen on the walls of some dealerships. I get the feeling that they keep all that information quietly hidden away from daylight.

What I was told though, when I spoke to the manager was that he had his allocation report, and that my order was on it and that he had a build date (all three times.) At the time I thought that was good enough. I took him at his word, and I was glad to have finally gotten a build date. In hindsight I wonder if I shouldn't have asked him to fax me a copy of the allocation report, but I expect that is something he wouldn't have done.

The only other thing I expect I could have done, and wish I had looking back, is just show up and ask to see the allocation report. It never occurred to me at the time that he would just be making it up, or that he possibly might sell a car that he had already told me about. I don't know for sure that he did either of these things, there just isn't a lot making sense with my experience with this dealership compared to what everyone says is their experiences.

My third supposed build date ended (12/07), I'll let you know what the manager tells me today.

Does anyone know anyone at Honda Motor Corp. that I can contact?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Similar Deal

I had some of the same run-around from my dealer - Flatirons Acura in Boulder Colorado.

I put down my deposit in early July and was told I would be int h first round of 2002's (I wanted to ait for 2002) and that it would most likely come in mid-November, but that the order should be written for December just in case November production slopped into December for the particualr MDX I wanted. In August, I was informe that the blue I listed a pereference would not be made until spring and I immediately indicated GG would work then. I verified, afeter three calls that this had no impact on may date - Iw ould still be in the first group based on my July deposit.

It came to October and folks here started listing their build dates, so I called my salesman and asked for mine. He said "we gave you the first 'avialable' after the color change" and it would be January. Needless to say, I was not happy. If they had said this in August, I could have gone elsewhere and gotten a MDX for November.

I was able to get on the list for Mid-December for an out of town dealer. So I did and made a report to Acura national (it helped here alot thta I won a '99 TL) and cancelled my order at Flatirons.

Magically, somehow, the salesman at Flatirons calls in late October snd says they can get what I want with a build date of 11/04 t0 11/08. So, I swallow my pride an go with it. 11/08 comes and goes and no MDX vin. Finally, it arrive at the end of November - obviously not the build date specifed. It's ridiculous what I had to go through.

rspitz, email me at [email protected] for some advice on some help I got.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just in case anyone is following this and wondering if my saga got any resolution today as promised by my local sales manager... NO. :(

I called three times today, and each time was told the manager was with a customer. At 6 P.M. I get a call from one of the salesman who says he has good news for me. "Your MDX will be here in 10 days." (build date supposedly ended on 12/07), I asked if he had a VIN (Now that would be good news!) Of course inevitable answer, "No, but the manager will have it by tomorrow, and will call you with it."

This is the third time that I have had a supposed build date and still waiting for a VIN. I don't know how long they can keep this up.

If they don't have a VIN tomorrow I am going to try to speak to the manager's boss. If anyone knows of anyone to speak with at Honda, I would really appreciate the suggestion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Zero patience

I'd call tomorrow at 8AM and ask for the general manager of the dealership. Don't bother speaking to anyone else. At this point, he's probably the only one who can turn things around for you. It really sounds like they're jerking you around, and on purpose to boot. That's unacceptable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
rspitz said:
Just in case anyone is following this and wondering if my saga got any resolution today as promised by my local sales manager... NO. :(

I called three times today, and each time was told the manager was with a customer. At 6 P.M. I get a call from one of the salesman who says he has good news for me. "Your MDX will be here in 10 days." (build date supposedly ended on 12/07), I asked if he had a VIN (Now that would be good news!) Of course inevitable answer, "No, but the manager will have it by tomorrow, and will call you with it."

This is the third time that I have had a supposed build date and still waiting for a VIN. I don't know how long they can keep this up.

If they don't have a VIN tomorrow I am going to try to speak to the manager's boss. If anyone knows of anyone to speak with at Honda, I would really appreciate the suggestion.
Hi, rspitz:

I am sorry to hear your story and can feel your fronstration.

Now, if you want to a new fully loaded MDX, I have one. I got my MDX yesterday, then, this morning, I was told I may be transferred oversea for a while. Sure enough, I will miss MDX.

The MDX is MegeBerge with touring package and NAV plus
running board, fend flare, moonroof visor, side molding, cargo tray, all season floor mats, wheel locks, splash guards, wood meter panel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two questions

I FINALLY GOT A VIN!!!

Interesting thing... I called Acura in Torrance CA to check the VIN and they said it comes up on their system as "invalid," and I must have gotten the numbers wrong. The numbers are technically correct, looking at how others have written threads on decoding VINs.

I went into my local dealership, the manager was off yesterday, spoke with the assistant manager who was completely unaware of my continuing plight. She tried to run the VIN and it came up as invalid for her also, she called the manager at home and confirmed the VIN he had given me. He called the dealership who was supposedly comping him the vehicle (it is in a completely different part of the country) they faxed a copy of the intransit report. Lo and behold the only VIN that they hadn't whited out was the one they had given me, that the acura system says is invalid. On the intransit report it lists the vehicle shipping out on 12/12 despite the manager telling me beforehand that the vehicle was supposed to be built 12/03-12/07.

Question #1. Does it seem strange that a vehicle that is supposedly being shipped to my dealer is still on the in transit report of a dealership in a completely different part of the country? The manager had been adamant that the switch was from the factory, the vehicle was supposed to be shipped direct from Alliston, and not shipped to the original dealership and then trucked to him. It just seems logical that if a change of allocation had been made on the Acura system that the new dealership would get the reports. Also don't mean to be paranoid, but after all the double-talk I feel like I have been getting I just want verifiable facts, it is also strange that Acura can't pull up the VIN. I am going to try again this AM

Question #2. After my second build date came and went at my local San Antonio dealer, I did the call around thing to every Acura dealership within a reasonable distance. I started talking to Gillman Acura in Houston Texas, I must say they have been nothing but straight forward and above board the whole time, in contrast to my local dealership. I would definitely recommend dealing with the salesman Dennis Mitchell over there, he has been a real gem to deal with. Every time I call Dennis , he is either there or calls me back right away, and has called with frequent updates. My initial order with my dealer in San Antonio had been for a 184. I am fresh out of residency and found it hard to rationalize what ended up being almost 4K difference between 184 and 188 when calculating in the luxury tax and price difference. Last month when I spoke with Dennis Mitchell he said that he had a 188 in the color I wanted that hadn't been spoken for coming end of Dec., and after telling him my situation suggested putting a refundable deposit on that in case I continues getting the run around at my local dealership. Dennis called me a a couple weeks ago or so and told me that they were surprised to find the build date was actually 12/04-12/09, he called me again last week and said the MDX was completed on 12/07; apparently Acura was trying to step up production prior to Xmas and the New Year. I never thought that the 188 which was due to be finished on 12/09 would beat the 184 from my local dealership which was supposed to completed on 12/07, but so it goes. Dennis is willing to drive the 188 from Houston to San Antonio (about 3 hours) and deliver the vehicle to me, and have a porter drive behind him to drive him back. So couple questions I wanted to ask people... Any feelings about taking delivery of a vehicle like that? Also, I do have the loaner and could hold out for the 184 when/if it finally arrives. Would most people just go for the sure thing, being it is hopefully going to be at the Houston dealer shortly, or keep the free loaner (2002 TL) and just wait for my local dealer to get the car I ordered in.

My horror scenario is of the 184 not being routed here, continuing on to the original dealership, me saying no to the 188, and having to start from square #1 again.

Any viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Two questions

rspitz said:
My horror scenario is of the 184 not being routed here, continuing on to the original dealership, me saying no to the 188, and having to start from square #1 again.

Any viewpoints would be greatly appreciated.
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Take the 'X from whoever has it available for pickup first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buy from the guy who WANTS your business...

Right is Right... Wrong is Wrong...

You can get warranty service from any dealer in the future (including your local guy), so I absolutely would recommend Dennis.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Called Acura again, VIN still shows up on their computer as "invalid" despite vehicle supposedly shipping out 12/12. She ran the VIN for the 188 coming into Houston and it popped up no problem. Weird huh?

I am not going by the dealer's word alone, I have a faxed copy of the in transit report myself.

:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts