Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to order a 03 MDX premium from Acura dealer last Saurday. the sales guy very hardly pushed me to buy 02 model until I refused him serveral times. and then pushed me to buy following options for 03 model:

Rear mud guards : $199 (only two plastics boards!!!!!!)
Floor Mats : $99
Roof Rack : $479
Running Board : He said for safty reason.

He seemed that he didn't care to sell me a car when I told him the only options I want is roof rack. I felt very upset and never had such kind of buying experiences. I think the Acura company really need teach their dealers to respect the customers and train their sale rep how to behave themself.

Later, went to Toyota dealer and drove test 03 4Runner SR5 V8. the new 4Runner is super smooth and super quiet(much better than MDX in running and handling). the sales rep was more polite and perfessional. MDX is a nice car but not perfect, it is only a consumer product, a second class luxury.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Suv4x4:

___Many here have *****ed and moaned about the Acura dealership sales techniques for many more months than I have been a member for sure. You just have to get around it and find another dealership that is more palatable is all. In other words, walk out and move on … When you are comparing SUV’s, each has there respective pluses and minus’ and in the case of the MDX, nothing touches it as far as Quality and Value if that is what you are looking for. If you are looking for an Off-road SUV, I would definitely consider something with a full ladder frame. You may want to look up Vicpai’s many posts on the 03 4-Runner as he has given some very good and in-depth comparisons vs. the X. Initially, he went for the X for the NAVI alone. I believe that after he actually drove the 03 4-Runner, the X moved out even further. In the end, the X simply had too many pluses on its side although off-roading is definitely not one of them.

___As for the dealership pricing and sales techniques … The 03 comes with rear splash guard’s std. so you can at least put that $200.00 back in your wallet (they are < $50.00 in actuality) although the $1,000 increase has to come from somewhere. Have you ever heard of Tim from HondAcura world? You can pick up whatever accessories you want for a much better deal than what that dealer has offered you. $160.00 and $360.00 in labor alone to install the rear guards and roof rack respectively … Are they nuts!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Running Board safety increase?

suv4x4 said:
Running Board : He said for safty reason.
I'd have quizzed him on that one. How do running boards make the '03 safer?

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
suv4x4 said:
Running Board : He said for safty reason....
LOL! I'd wish someone would have tried that on me! Why do I miss all the fun opportunities.

msu79gt82, I would have quizzed him as well... and them some!

:rolleyes: :14: :19:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: Re: Running Board safety increase?

msu79gt82 said:

I'd have quizzed him on that one. How do running boards make the '03 safer?
(Putting on cheesey accent.)

Oh, you don't wanna fall outta that car, with that big ground clearance! The running boards will make it safe for you and your kids to get out, and you won't crack your head on the hard cement sidewalk! And I'll sell it to ya for only double what the Acura web site sez it'll cost, they don't reflect regional price differences!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"The running boards will make it safe for you and your kids to get out, and you won't crack your head on the hard cement sidewalk!"

Yes, this is the reason the sales guy pushed me to buy the running boards.

I think if it happens someone will sue Acura for defective design.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Later, went to Toyota dealer and drove the sales rep was more polite and perfessional. MDX is a nice car but not perfect, it is only a consumer product, a second class luxury.

Hum..

I totaly understand the first part about some *****y sales try to push you to buy the 02...
do a serach on better dealers in your area, and that problem is solved. same happened to many of us, and after I did the search, I got mine at msrp with no extra option. After that just call Tim for your roof rack.
As to the part of MDX being 2nd class.. I am not sure if taht's just your anger for Acura or just don't like MDX?
I went to Toyota/Lexus dealers before. Yes they are more polite, but look in the lot and you'll see why. And watch out when you do the oil change.. they tend to make you buy 30 engine treatment and other #[email protected]#$ like that.. I've tried 3 Toyota dealers.. and samething happened to all 3.. I hate that corolla..

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The best approach before you even go to a dealer is to know exactly what you want. And then present that to more than
one dealer, here is what I want, can you do it or not? Don't offer a deposit or anything until he can do that and will have in writing.
I got mine without the 'protection package' which my particular dealer normally requires. I was firm at the onset I would accept nothing esle.
Although I did want the tow package installed, but that was my request.
As it turned out, my MDX slipped over a week in delivery, and the dealer gave me his protection pkg. free as compensation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree, I am so feed up with the hassle that I get from Acura salesmen that I am considering another suv next time. Aucra has a hot product and they don't mind telling you so. Jay Leno was sold a "Viper" by a Dodge dealer in L.A. a few years back and they said that they sold it to him for MSRP rather than the $30k other dealers
where charging because they knew that ..." Nobody likes to be taken advantage of even if you have the cash" and they said Jay would appreciate that too the next time he was in the market for
a new Viper.

A customer should not feel that they are being had !

:13:

·
Registered
117 Posts
All this sh** we go through with salesmen... when I think of all the crap they gave me, it makes me furious!! :3: :3: :3: I wonder how they are in their personal lives..? ugh!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now Now, lets give this obviously well educated salesman his due. The running boards are definitely a safety item. Anybody with any SUV experience will tell you that if you run through deep water without running boards, the whole thing sinks real fast. With running boards however, the machine simply skims across the water as if by magic. Next time you're out by the lake, give it a try, you'll see, (but only if you have your running boards attached correctly!!

ADS

'98 Linc. Nav. (soon to be gone)
'02 RL 3.5
'03 MDX Touring ( due at dealer tomorrow-without running boards)

·
Registered
63 Posts
i don't think it's fair to characterize all the acura dealerships/salespersons based on 1 experience. my local acura dealer is fantastic! sales guy was totally cool when i was test driving the CL and even though i didn't buy it, he still sent me a card thanking me for trying it out.

i miss my old integra :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts