Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my MDX in the shop yesterday to fix a couple of door dings (already -- I have to change my parking habits), and fix some other annoying quirks.

In any case -- they gave me an 2002 TL as a loaner. Really nice car, and surprisingly quick. As I was driving around I kept thinking "Look at all of this cool stuff that the MDX should have". I am sure that the TL has a lot of the stuff since it is a more mature model, but the following were all on the loaner:

1. HIDS (don't really want to get into a discussion of the fact that the MDX is higher and HIDS would work differently, here, just pointing it out)
2. Auto up drivers side window
3. Really soft, squishy, non scratch-prone dashboard.
4. Same squishy material even on the door map pockets.
5. More substantial cup holders.
6. Better leather.

I know that I am comparing apple to oranges here, but it would be nice to see Acura refine the MDX to include this stuff in the coming years...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
dave,

I agreed with you. but if you compared MDX with SLK. MDX is much better car. We just need to be patient for it to improve. :D

I would like future generation to has.......

auto-up windows....
auto-close moonroof.....
hand-brake... instead of foot-brake??

·
Registered
106 Posts
Stuff costs

Just remember - stuff costs. The more "things" Acura puts into the MDX, the higher the list price goes. One of the reasons the MDX is so popular is its relative cost versus the other SUVs in the category (it's actually quite a bargain considering how it's equipped). I'm sure Acura has researched exactly where the "price point" is for the X. Adding a couple thousand dollars worth of improvements might push the overall price higher than Acura wants to be with the vehicle.
You gotta admit, if you've shopped around at all, the MDX is a pretty good balance of price and features right now.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep - agree completely

Yep -- I completely agree. I have always said that the people that request the 18" wheels, HIDs, side curtain Air bags, etc, might not have been forum members for this car, as it would have cost and extra 10k.

That being said, I still feel that there is room for improvement with only modest or no price increases. A good example is the auto up window. This can't be an expensive change, as it is on the CRV, and TL. Also, some things could have been designed better for an equal, or lesser price -- I feel that the cupholder design on the TL is superior, and could have been implemented on the MDX for less than designing a new one....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
JTM ... I don't think that the SLK and the MDX should even be uttered together in the same sentence ... ugh!!

Regarding things that could/should have been done, I don't agree that Acura HAD to do what they did:

1st: Some things would not have had impact on cost [e.g. auto up driver window, slightly more comfy seats, etc.]

2nd: The Touring is a bit sparce for what you get IMHO [no problem with the Base]. There WAS some room on the Touring [e.g. nicer leather like that used in TL, lumbar on frt passenger, etc.]. I would have been willing to pay more for our Touring IF the package [difference from Base] had more "meat".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts