Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've been looking at installing a hitch on the MDX for towing a 2-3000lb trailer. I know I need the coolers, and can get them installed for 550ish. I'm contemplating fitting an after market hitch, as opposed to spending 270 on the Acura one, which seems a little extortionate.

Has anyone tried this? Suggestions on a good hitch appreciated!

Tim's got hitch kits on back order by, which is why I'm looking at this alternative.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Might want to search for "hitch", there have been several threads on the subject. I have a hidden hitch, and am happy with it. The other main hitch is Drawtite. The drawtite may be a little heavier, but both should easily handle the 3500lb tow capacity. I bought my hitch through etrailer.com. U-haul can also install one, beleive they use drawtite but not sure. The Hidden Hitch is very easy to install using either two people, or a floor jack to lift it. Do not forget the wire harness....................................

As for the coolers (and anything Tim has), HondaAcuraWorld is the place to get them. They are easy to install, and the directions are good. They are a do it yourselfer for anyone with basic skills. Do note though, the little plastic parts that snap the front on can break when removed. Might want to have a few extra handy

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is what I found

http://ahmotor.com/product/ahmcat3.htm#4P

I was quoted $85 for shipping to CA (hitch/ATF/PS
coolers). After put the cost together it's still more
expensive than what Tim has. Since I'm in no rush
of getting it, I'm waiting for Tim to get the hitch
in stock ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tim,

Have you thought about getting some drawtite and hidden hitches for the MDX? This might be a way to help with future backorders. It sounds like there are several people that would be interested in purchasing these over the factory hitches and coolers.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Have I thought about it.....yes, but being that I am the dealer, I still have to sell the coolers anyways because that is the way I'm told it has to be done. Besides which, I'd have to pay for freight in for any non-Acura part, so it really would mean nothing as far as savings to the customer.....it might even cost more.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just bought a boat and now have to consider getting a hitch put on the MDX. Luckily, I live three houses down from the boat launch so I'm not in a rush to get a hitch. What should I expect to pay for the Acura installation of coolers and a hitch? I think it's near $1k. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
dancall, depends where you are, I was quoted $870 for mine. Suppose thats a grand after taxes.

I ended up buying from Tim and doing a self-install. Well, half a self-install, still got to put on the coolers. Got the business end on though.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I've got ONE HITCH available here for the first person that calls. I've emailed everyone on the waiting list with no responses yet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Tim, I'd order it but I'm still trying to figure out how I'll pay for my "hole in the water"!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts