Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My wife and I live in Syracuse, NY but are going to drive to downstate NY (8 hour round trip) to buy a used 2015 MDX from the Acura dealer in Larchmont.
They have more used 2015s than all the upstate dealers combined (they do A LOT more volume with NYC nearby).

Anyway...some of the 2015s they have are already Acura Certified. A few are not. They charge a $995 fee to certify a vehicle that hasn't already been certified. The cars that are already certified are certified because the potential buyer changed their mind and/or had their financing fall through.

Let's say we are interested in a vehicle that has not been certified (but we would like it to be)...they probably wouldn't have time to perform the 182-point inspection in the amount of time we would be at the dealership (we don't want to go down a 2nd time...we want to take care of everything in 1 visit and drive home in our new (to us) MDX.).

Ok...so basically to get the car certified it costs $1,000. Couldn't we just buy an "uncertified" MDX and then before the warranty runs out...purchase the Acura Care extended warranty for around $1,000 (I've heard the price is very negotiable and I can shop around the country for an Acura dealer who is selling cheaper than the competition).
Would that give us the same overall coverage as buying a "certified" vehicle from the dealer?

Any pros and cons?

Thanks in Advance,

Brian
Syracuse, NY

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jzhu625,

Do you mean negotiate the overall price on an already certified MDX?
Or negotiate the price to certify an uncertified MDX ($995)?

How is this better than buying an Acura Care extended warranty at a later date?

That's my main question: Acura Certified vs Acura Care.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for responding so quickly.
:)

Brian

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Acura Certified is the 182 point inspection to make sure the vehicle meets CPO standard for vehicle checks and wear/tear items like brakes and tires are within a certain % or it is replaced. If you purchase a non-CPO vehicle, it "could" have more wear/tear or warranty related repairs a CPO inspection might have found and fixed. Since the MDX has a 4/50 basic and 6/70 powertrain, I don't think the CPO rating is worth the extra money if you are looking at two MDXs with same model year and mileage and one is CPO and the other is not.

Sometimes, the dealership might offer an Acura Care extended warranty on top of the CPO rating for 1-5 years and up-to 120,000 miles after the 4/50k basic runs out. Acura care warranties can be purchased from a local Acura dealership or on-line if your Acura is still under the 4/50K basic warranty. I like on-line purchase if you decide go that route because you sometimes don't have to pay local sales tax; which, can save you $100-$300 on the final price. You can transfer Acura Care to a new owner if you sell the vehicle OR get a pro-rated refund if you want to stop using it before the warranty period runs out. Acura Care is only good only at Acura dealerships with a few exceptions when the Acura dealership is too far away compared to a Honda dealership (I never tried 3rd party reimbursement with my Acura Care 5/120k warranty).

The dealerships can roll the Acura Care price into your payments; but, you will paying extra interest for something you can't use until the 4/50 and 6/70 expires first. I would go for a non-CPO MDX still under the 4/50 basic warranty and save the $1000 and decide later if I need Acura Care before the basic warranty expires.

Acura CPO does not equal Acura Care; but, they are usually bundled together.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What I'd do fwiw - go and check out the vehicles regardless of the 'certified' status of them. Inspect the candidates you narrow it down to very closely yourself including paying attention to tires, accident damage it might have had, scratches, dents, interior wear and tear and stains, crawl under it just to have a look, take the one or two you narrow down to on extensive test drives without the radio on paying close attention to any weird noises, rattles, thumps, etc.

After doing that, compare the prices of certified vs non-certified and consider that the additional cost is almost all mark-up. There's likely very little actual difference between a certified and non-certified other than they did their inspections, which likely take an average of a few seconds each for them to do, and they passed the inspection and they actually didn't do anything at all to the vehicle. In other words - I wouldn't put much value on this outside of any additional warranty you might get with it, which, of course, is just an insurance policy you pay for like the extended warranty.

I don't think extended warranties or CPO are worth it - you basically just pay them money ahead of time on the off chance that something might go wrong with the vehicle and on average it's biased heavily in favor of the dealer/company. You can just hang onto that money and use it to offset any repairs down the road that the extended warranty would have covered but even with that - you need to read the fine print because all the items that they cover are the ones that are likely 'not' to fail within the term.

On top of that, as long as you don't buy a high mileage vehicle you'll likely end up with somewhere around a year left on the B2B warranty and longer on the powertrain.

Just check out the vehicle well, and go for the best deal you can negotiate, whether it has the 'certified' or not - i.e. if they throw it in for free then I'd be willing to take it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tell them that u r getting a good deal from Curry Acura in Scarsdale...hope they bring down the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Check the brakes and tires. These are the things a CPO car will have replaced if they don’t meet specs. They will also replace other wear item that the warranty doesn’t cover. Plus CPO extends the warranty.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
What I'd do fwiw - go and check out the vehicles regardless of the 'certified' status of them. Inspect the candidates you narrow it down to very closely yourself including paying attention to tires, accident damage it might have had, scratches, dents, interior wear and tear and stains, crawl under it just to have a look, take the one or two you narrow down to on extensive test drives without the radio on paying close attention to any weird noises, rattles, thumps, etc.

After doing that, compare the prices of certified vs non-certified and consider that the additional cost is almost all mark-up. There's likely very little actual difference between a certified and non-certified other than they did their inspections, which likely take an average of a few seconds each for them to do, and they passed the inspection and they actually didn't do anything at all to the vehicle. In other words - I wouldn't put much value on this outside of any additional warranty you might get with it, which, of course, is just an insurance policy you pay for like the extended warranty.

I don't think extended warranties or CPO are worth it - you basically just pay them money ahead of time on the off chance that something might go wrong with the vehicle and on average it's biased heavily in favor of the dealer/company. You can just hang onto that money and use it to offset any repairs down the road that the extended warranty would have covered but even with that - you need to read the fine print because all the items that they cover are the ones that are likely 'not' to fail within the term.

On top of that, as long as you don't buy a high mileage vehicle you'll likely end up with somewhere around a year left on the B2B warranty and longer on the powertrain.

Just check out the vehicle well, and go for the best deal you can negotiate, whether it has the 'certified' or not - i.e. if they throw it in for free then I'd be willing to take it.
I respectively disagree on CPO vs NON CPO. If in fact the difference is $1,000,it’s worth it. The full warranty is worth it. Especially compared to 3rd party warranties. CPO covers everything. There are a lot of things that can go wrong on an MDX. As an example,i bought a CPO Volkswagen Eos. The top failed. No 3rd party warranty would have covered that.
By the way,while prices are negotiable,no one is going to sell the Acura care warranty for $1000.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I respectively disagree on CPO vs NON CPO. If in fact the difference is $1,000,it’s worth it. The full warranty is worth it. Especially compared to 3rd party warranties. CPO covers everything. There are a lot of things that can go wrong on an MDX. As an example,i bought a CPO Volkswagen Eos. The top failed. No 3rd party warranty would have covered that.
That's fine - I'm just stating my opinion and perspective and reasons for it. The OP will make up their own mind. Just from a balance sheet perspective the CPO is not worth it on average - there's no way a business is going to price this in a way they lose money on average and in fact, they want to maximize profits on average. That alone indicates that on average they're not worth it. Of course every now and then someone will come out ahead by getting a CPO or extended warranty but not on average.

As far as the VW goes - on average they're nowhere in the league of reliability with a Honda product according to objective data. Maybe you felt the CPO was worth it but but it's a shame that one has to buy this level of insurance just to get a reasonable life out of a vehicle - if on average one comes out ahead on this for a particular make/model then that's likely a make/model to avoid in the first place due to its poor reliability.

I used the word 'average' a lot purposely because it's a risk/reward decision and averages s/b considered.

I know there are some here who like the comfort of paying the additional fee for some kind of assurance but again, most will lose the majority, if not all, of that money. My 2014 is now beyond the B2B warranty so we'll see if I rue my words here but I'm willing to take that chance. I tend to make my decisions on logic and calculations rather than emotions and I think dealers tend to try to leverage people's emotions when it comes to this type of insurance they're trying to sell and apparently it frequently works to make the sale. You hear it in the response on threads like this - "peace of mind", "don't want to worry", "comfort", etc.

So far, I've always come out ahead on this (low) risk decision on every vehicle, piece of electronic gear, tools, and everything else I've purchased. I realize that some people will come out ahead every now and then - it's like the people who go to Vegas multiple times and tend to tell you about the time they came out ahead while omitting the many more times they came out behind.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Insurance companies make a lot of money. Even health insurance companies. We all have some form of insurance. The companies don’t offer it out of the goodness of their heart. They even make money on life insurance. Even though they eventually pay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would never pay for CPO car.. especially $1000.. I would take that money and buy Acura extend warranty.. the meaning behind CPO is to be a selling point for the dealer to keep buyers away from going to Chevy or other dealerships to buy a Acura at their dealership. This only extends the warranty 1 year or 12k miles.. definitely not worth $1000.. and should not be passed on to you a buyer. But it?s my opinion.. when I purchased my 16 MDX is was part of my paying price and not adjusted higher to cover it. Remember drive a little to save some big bucks especially since the 2018?s are hitting the lots..

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I would never pay for CPO car.. especially $1000.. I would take that money and buy Acura extend warranty.. the meaning behind CPO is to be a selling point for the dealer to keep buyers away from going to Chevy or other dealerships to buy a Acura at their dealership. This only extends the warranty 1 year or 12k miles.. definitely not worth $1000.. and should not be passed on to you a buyer. But it?s my opinion.. when I purchased my 16 MDX is was part of my paying price and not adjusted higher to cover it. Remember drive a little to save some big bucks especially since the 2018?s are hitting the lots..
Again, CPO is more then just extending the warranty. It is much more important on older cars. Also,to think you are not paying for it when you buy a CPO is somewhat naive. The price would probably depend on what they had to do to the car. On a 16 probably not much. To think that they are going to extend the warranty and not charge something?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all that provided input. I really appreciate it! Still not 100% sure what I'll do but I'm leaning toward CPO. Lots of food for thought and I can see the pros and cons that folks provided. Thanks again!
:)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Will the dealer allow you to bring it to a shop of your choice to inspect the vehicles? Personally, if you have a shop (especially a Honda one) that you trust, an independent inspection is worth it more to me than a CPO certification is (at least for Acura since CPO doesn't really add much value for me. Other brands is a different story because I'm mainly shopping for warranty with a CPO).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Other than maintenance items that might be replaced in the CPO process (tires, brakes, etc), I would spend the CPO money on an AcuraCare extended warranty. I have had two. One on a 2005 MDX that I did not use, but received prorata refund on trade. And one on a 2011 MDX that more than paid for itself, plus got prorata refund when I leased current 2017.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way,while prices are negotiable,no one is going to sell the Acura care warranty for $1000.
I just got a purchase agreement from the Acura dealer last night on a 2015 MDX Tech with 24K miles. The vehicle will be CPO (they are certifying it right now) and that brought my B2B warranty to 2 more years or 38K more miles (whichever comes first). He then offered me an additional "Acura Care" B2B warranty which gave me 2 more years and 38K more miles (total of 100K miles). I bought it for $1,050.
I'm happy with what I got and for me it's worth it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just got a purchase agreement from the Acura dealer last night on a 2015 MDX Tech with 24K miles. The vehicle will be CPO (they are certifying it right now) and that brought my B2B warranty to 2 more years or 38K more miles (whichever comes first). He then offered me an additional "Acura Care" B2B warranty which gave me 2 more years and 38K more miles (total of 100K miles). I bought it for $1,050.
When you pick up the car, ask to see the 150 pt inspection report. There have been times when folks have posted that they would buy a CPO and it appeared inspection and remedial work had not been done.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Usually, only the 4/50,000 miles basic warranty is B2B. Anything after that will fall under the 6/70,000 powertrain first if the issue is drivetrain related or the limited Acura Care warranty second. This is assuming the dealership is offering an Acura Care extended warranty. Some Acura dealership try to sell 3rd party extended warranties with even more limitations and hoops to jump through for making a claim. The dealership should give you an Acura warranty booklet with a Acura Care contract number with with a contract expiration date if you don't reach the mileage cutoff first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts