Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised that the Acura Burlwood replacement stick shift knob doesn't cover the entire thread of the shifter. The leather original has a longer metallic cover which hides the threads.

Was this Acura burlwood part designed for the Acura sedans and not the MDX? It seems so.

Do you think this is worthy of a complaint to Acura client services ph# 800-382-2238?

What do you think? Should they replace these with the proper fitting wood knob?

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Myst, I am not the best person to answer your concern since I do not have nor even care to have that accessory. However, I believe there was a discussion about this either in Accessories or Problems Folder. Apparently, you need to apply force to fully screw the knob on. Some people suggested pliers with soft covers on the tips. (Obviously, you are not alone)

Do a search and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
mystMDX said:
...What do you think? Should they replace these with the proper fitting wood knob?

Thanks for your opinions.
mystMDX,
I noticed this right away but who cares. I tightened it by hand as far as it would turn. Having the threads exposed is not that big a deal. Yeah, maybe they should have designed it differently but it is so much better looking than the cheezy leather one I barely notice the exposed threads. Vip9's comment about using pliers with padding might work but I would be concerned about splitting the wood knob by putting this much torque on it. My suggestion is to live with it, because there are far more important things to worry about than this one.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
OK...you have to search under BURLWOOD to come up with anything. ** I tried "SHAFT" and found numerous dealership complaints :D**

Here's one solution; see Frank Davis at bottom of post.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=897

I suppose spraying both parts with silicone spray might help before install?? This should be a perfect fit, however and might be deserving of the #800 call if they've improvised instead of retooled.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used a rubber "jar screwer/unscrewer" pad to tighten it as much as I could. I've got one thread "exposed," but you can't really even see it. Remery is right, there are a lot of other things to worry about.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I would characterize this as a "nit". Let's fix everyone's weeping mirrors and thuds, first.

There are 1 or 2 threads, not even visible, at the bottom, with this. Big whoop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey everyone. Just one word of caution. I listened to some of the members who suggested that you screw the knob on as tight as you can, and then only one thread will show at the bottom. And most of the time I am sure you can.

When I did that, however, with my bare hands mind you, I heard a slight crack just when the knob was almost to the last thread. After that, I noticed that the knob would spin around a little bit, as if it were not tight. What I found out is that the plastic insert is glued into the wood knob. It is the glue, not the small screw inside the knob, which holds the wood knob to the insert. Evidently, the bond broke, leaving me with a somewhat wobbly shift knob.

Well, I could have left well (?) enough alone, but that's just not me. So I tried to remove the knob to see what had happened, but it would not come off. The knob would just spin around the insert. I had to take it off with vicegrips (around the bottom of the exposed insert, after removing the chrome retaining ring). Then I had to pry the insert out of the knob, find some epoxy, and then glue it back in.

Be forewarned, however, not to use to too much epoxy as mine slightly filled in the inside of the insert, where the shifter shaft screws into the shift knob. I then had to drill out the inside of the insert (slightly) so the shift knob would screw onto the shift shaft.

After all of that it went on good and tight, leaving only one thread showing at the bottom. That single thread is not really noticeable, at least to me.

So, be careful how hard you turn the knob, you could regret your effort.

Dean

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
OK...this is pretty stupid
Really, I know there are more pressing (worldly) issues and daily worries...but why is Acura taking the (our) time to produce a product that does not fit the $40K machine as designed? Why are we settling with mediocrity? The minute someone raises the bar, will you settle for an ill fitting part? UGH...DOH...DUH.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have to admit that I also think that this was a bit silly. The replacement burl wood knob doesn't have the same "profile" as the original? Why would the replacement be so much shorter and cover so much less of the stick? So I (like everyone else I imagine) tried removing the chrome extension from the original know and adding it to the new know. Well, they don't go on the same way. The original is a snap on. The burlwood shift knob is a screw on.

Seems to me that Acura should have done one of three things here:

A) Just include the wood shift know with extension in the car to begin with

B) Include a chrome extension of the proper lenght on the knob (for the MDX)

C) Make the chrome extension interchangeable between the original and the wood.

The shortness bugged me at first, but I just decided to not let it bother me. Then everyone here started talking, so I thought I'd share. :D If I hadn't see the original, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
DMor said:
OK...this is pretty stupid
Really, I know there are more pressing (worldly) issues and daily worries...but why is Acura taking the (our) time to produce a product that does not fit the $40K machine as designed? Why are we settling with mediocrity? The minute someone raises the bar, will you settle for an ill fitting part? UGH...DOH...DUH.

C'mon, DMor, I am sure they sell something in Home Depot that you can use to fix this problem. :)

That's your weekend project now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts