Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gap issues are one sample. Someone asked for pictures, so they got the evidence. The overall problem is that Acura's fit and finish is getting worse (or cheaper). They are sacrificing quality and it is hurting their brand, which doesn't help me on resale value, wanting to buy a new one in the future or for wanting to keep my current vehicle long term. More quality issues, more recalls, etc., which is why I'm going away from them after I get rid of the MDX in a few years. I also own a Lexus, which I plan to keep for at least 10 years (5 already), and besides 1 recall, it's been a solid vehicle with quality fit/finish. If you like your Acura, great...keep it, buy another, but I won't.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This thread has been entertaining.

Is Acura going downhill... not anymore than any other brand. Can they improve, I think we can all say yes. The tech being added to these cars in general is going to create more failures.

To that point here is my 2 cents you all can argue over.

I had a 2019 tech that Acura ended up buying back for various reasons (I’ve posted about this before if you want details). I currently have a 2020 adv because they sweetened the deal. 2020 is flawless. Panels are fine, none of the issues I had with previous car. So my guess is my tech was built on Friday just before the guys rushed out to the bar.

Physical aspects of the car should’ve been looked at during delivery, and called out. The rest is under warranty. Personally I’m spending what I feel is a lot of money, so I do my due diligence to make sure it’s right before I sign.

Take this thread with a grain of salt. Human nature is to complain vs compliment. So for ever complaint, there is likely 100s of happy customers if not more. The internet as a whole is a toxic complaint.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This thread has been entertaining.

Is Acura going downhill... not anymore than any other brand. Can they improve, I think we can all say yes. The tech being added to these cars in general is going to create more failures.

To that point here is my 2 cents you all can argue over.

I had a 2019 tech that Acura ended up buying back for various reasons (I’ve posted about this before if you want details). I currently have a 2020 adv because they sweetened the deal. 2020 is flawless. Panels are fine, none of the issues I had with previous car. So my guess is my tech was built on Friday just before the guys rushed out to the bar.

Physical aspects of the car should’ve been looked at during delivery, and called out. The rest is under warranty. Personally I’m spending what I feel is a lot of money, so I do my due diligence to make sure it’s right before I sign.

Take this thread with a grain of salt. Human nature is to complain vs compliment. So for ever complaint, there is likely 100s of happy customers if not more. The internet as a whole is a toxic complaint.
You were a complainer yourself to the point that Acura bought back your car, but now others complaining is a grain of salt? There is a double standard there. From the ardent defenders of Honda products to Honda's employee, there is a presumption that people who complained did not do enough to inspect the vehicle before signed off. If you did do your due diligent, why did you complain after the fact to the point that Acura bought the vehicle back? I get it that Acura made you sign nda to not talk about bad things about your experience, but you can't victim blaming others for doing the things that you did.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
You were a complainer yourself to the point that Acura bought back your car, but now others complaining is a grain of salt? There is a double standard there. From the ardent defenders of Honda products to Honda's employee, there is a presumption that people who complained did not do enough to inspect the vehicle before signed off. If you did do your due diligent, why did you complain after the fact to the point that Acura bought the vehicle back? I get it that Acura made you sign nda to not talk about bad things about your experience, but you can't victim blaming others for doing the things that you did.

If you reread waynehead99's posts about their vehicle, the vehicle was bought back because it was a lemon. In the shop for weeks for the same repair on the steering column. The "complaint" on that vehicle was it mechanically defective and was unable to be fixed after several attempts. They didn't buy the vehicle back because the seat had a squeak or because the gaps were too big

·
Registered
72 Posts

I think you’re missing the point. Yes I complained about something which was something that started later after purchase of the car. Acura took care of it and there is no NDA. I’ve posted exactly what was wrong with the car.

All manufactures can have a bad batch. It happens. But Acura (without much of a fight or a lawyer) owned up to the issue and took care of its customer.
If they wouldn’t have offered what they did for the new car, I would’ve gone elsewhere, but I’m glad I didn’t. This current 2020 I have had been flawless and a joy to drive.

I’m not saying don’t complain if the issue is valid. Body panels is something that doesn’t happen over time and is noticeable right away if paying attention. Some need to take part in the ownership of their complaints if it’s something they could’ve prevented.

And there is no victim blaming at all... but as I said before, some will complain and be the victim vs taking some responsibility.

Anyways, you clearly are just unhappy with Honda, which is fine. I feel the same way about ford because of a bad experience with them myself. It happens.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
If you reread waynehead99's posts about their vehicle, the vehicle was bought back because it was a lemon. In the shop for weeks for the same repair on the steering column. The "complaint" on that vehicle was it mechanically defective and was unable to be fixed after several attempts. They didn't buy the vehicle back because the seat had a squeak or because the gaps were too big
The point is 'complaint.' Without complaining, you are accepting as is. He had the time to inspect before signing off, why wait until he got it home to find out steering was bad? If he did not complain, how did it get from multiple fixes to lemon? The point you complain so that Acura has the chance to fix the issue.

Like my 'complaint' about interior door panel is creaking. If I did not complain, I would have to accept it as the way it is, but I know it is not suppose to be like that. That is why Acura is replacing the door panel. So you see, it is the same thing, right? If he did not complain, how does Acura knows it is bad?

Like the headlight assembly misalignment, that can be considered as safety issue. Light is projecting to the area that is not designed to do, and water could leak into engine compartment. If I did not raise the issue, how would Acura know? The dealer could not make decision on that so they will ask Acura representative to come to inspect and makes decision. Before that, the dealer service rep immediately said "body panel is misaligned, you need to take it to a body shop." I was like jesus, body shop? Then the "technician" said it is an "engineering defect" and all MDX are like that, and a lot customers complaint. I said I walked around the lot, there is not one MDX has the same issue I have. The dealer acknowledged my complaint, but kept telling me to take to a body shop to have them fix it. Suggesting I should pay out of my pocket to fix Acura's "engineering defect" for a vehicle that is less than 300 miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The point is 'complaint.' Without complaining, you are accepting as is. He had the time to inspect before signing off, why wait until he got it home to find out steering was bad? If he did not complain, how did it get from multiple fixes to lemon? The point you complain so that Acura has the chance to fix the issue.

Like my 'complaint' about interior door panel is creaking. If I did not complain, I would have to accept it as the way it is, but I know it is not suppose to be like that. That is why Acura is replacing the door panel. So you see, it is the same thing, right? If he did not complain, how does Acura knows it is bad?

Like the headlight assembly misalignment, that can be considered as safety issue. Light is projecting to the area that is not designed to do, and water could leak into engine compartment. If I did not raise the issue, how would Acura know? The dealer could not make decision on that so they will ask Acura representative to come to inspect and makes decision. Before that, the dealer service rep immediately said "body panel is misaligned, you need to take it to a body shop." I was like jesus, body shop? Then the "technician" said it is an "engineering defect" and all MDX are like that, and a lot customers complaint. I said I walked around the lot, there is not one MDX has the same issue I have. The dealer acknowledged my complaint, but kept telling me to take to a body shop to have them fix it. Suggesting I should pay out of my pocket to fix Acura's "engineering defect" for a vehicle that is less than 300 miles.

Sounds like you’re getting your issue resolved, so not sure what the concern is.

I will say though, a gap that’s small isn’t a “safety issue”. The light isn’t THAT spot on for any car on the road and if the engine is gonna get damaged from getting wet, we all have bigger problems.

Yea get the issue fixed because it looks bad, I’ll agree there and yes I agree Honda could do a better job on these things, but it’s a stretch to say it’s a safety issue.

And as I stated earlier, the issue I had wasn’t there on delivery, it happened after about 2k miles. I certainly wouldn’t have taken the car with the issues that it had if they were there initially and you can bet I looked over the new car with a lot more scrutiny.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think you’re missing the point. Yes I complained about something which was something that started later after purchase of the car. Acura took care of it and there is no NDA. I’ve posted exactly what was wrong with the car.

All manufactures can have a bad batch. It happens. But Acura (without much of a fight or a lawyer) owned up to the issue and took care of its customer.
If they wouldn’t have offered what they did for the new car, I would’ve gone elsewhere, but I’m glad I didn’t. This current 2020 I have had been flawless and a joy to drive.

I’m not saying don’t complain if the issue is valid. Body panels is something that doesn’t happen over time and is noticeable right away if paying attention. Some need to take part in the ownership of their complaints if it’s something they could’ve prevented.

And there is no victim blaming at all... but as I said before, some will complain and be the victim vs taking some responsibility.

Anyways, you clearly are just unhappy with Honda, which is fine. I feel the same way about ford because of a bad experience with them myself. It happens.
The point is complaint. You are suggesting other people's complaint other than yours is a grain of salt.

The interior door panel is getting replaced. A 2 miles car is not something enough deteriorate over time.

I am not hating or don't like Honda. I had couple other Honda vehicles before this, it is not my first time buying Honda. I have others Honda equipments too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sounds like you’re getting your issue resolved, so not sure what the concern is.

I will say though, a gap that’s small isn’t a “safety issue”. The light isn’t THAT spot on for any car on the road and if the engine is gonna get damaged from getting wet, we all have bigger problems.

Yea get the issue fixed because it looks bad, I’ll agree there and yes I agree Honda could do a better job on these things, but it’s a stretch to say it’s a safety issue.

And as I stated earlier, the issue I had wasn’t there on delivery, it happened after about 2k miles. I certainly wouldn’t have taken the car with the issues that it had if they were there initially and you can bet I looked over the new car with a lot more scrutiny.
I am not concerned or anything. The headlight misaligned issue, I said it 'can be considered a safety issue', did not say it is a safety issue. Plus, if Acura representative concludes "it is what it is", there is nothing else I can do. I had done part my indicating a problem, if they think it is a none issue. That's the Honda's quality tolerance, I have no other choice just to accept it as is. The fact that dealer service told me to take to a body shop and technician said it is engineering defects, that is telling something. What I am trying to say is, any complaint is a valid complaint no matter big or small.

·
Registered
2020 MDX FWD w Tech
9 Posts
The interior door panel is poor designed and built. It does not feel solid. In my opinion, the armrest is a step down from 2010-2013 and feel cheap. The whole door panel is flexing when rock back and forth or when pull quick to close. One of the door panel is making creaking noise when resting arm on it, closing the door, or thumb pressed against it. I'm bringing back to the dealership to have a look next week. My wife notices it first and I was like no-way. She is even mentioned the 2017 Sienna Ltd (I drive that one) is a better built quality. I concurred, but I didn't say a word. She had no complaint with 2011 MDX Advance, she loved it so much that she wanted a another MDX.

Hi, sorry to hear this. I have a 2020 MDX and haven’t experienced any of your issues. The build quality on mine is excellent.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Interesting post and something I can add to with my recent purchases.
First I own (still) 2003 MDX 176K miles. Trouble free and love that car.
My daughter now drives it and would not let me sell it :)

Last year I bought 2019 Sport Hybrid MDX brand new.
Flaw less. Now I am not measuring gaps here, just the overall function and smoothness of driving.
I used to hear about fit/finish better on German cars but never gave second thought (I was happy with Acura interior) because I have been Japanese car owners due to high quality.

Last month all of this changed.
I needed a SUV (not a TRUCK, family requirement :) ) that can two minimum 5500 lbs.
Since my Hybrid can't tow, I started looking at other SUVs.
Two German brands came up in the search MB and Audi.
Both can tow 7000+ lbs.
I found a certified pre-owned MB GLE 350 4MATIC.
Myself, wife and son went for a test drive and let me tell you, wife had a big smile and both of them were instantly sold on interior.

I bought it on the spot (I had to pick up trailer that week 1500 miles away).
I have put 3500 miles on it in 2 weeks, and not a single problem.
The ride is much more refined and long drives are more relaxing.

Regarding interiors I just didn't know any better.
I believe MB SUV quality is good (several friends have them).
I am sure repairs will be more expensive but I do most of my own (other than major engine problems).

I am still a MDX fan and I don't see it changing but next SUV will not be limited to Japanese cars :) (May be Tesla if they come down in price a little!)

Now back to original question.
Is MDX quality going down?
It depends on which model, Hybrid seems to be on par with earlier generations. 3rd Gen non-Hybrid transmission was problematic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The interior door panel is poor designed and built. It does not feel solid. In my opinion, the armrest is a step down from 2010-2013 and feel cheap. The whole door panel is flexing when rock back and forth or when pull quick to close. One of the door panel is making creaking noise when resting arm on it, closing the door, or thumb pressed against it. I'm bringing back to the dealership to have a look next week. My wife notices it first and I was like no-way. She is even mentioned the 2017 Sienna Ltd (I drive that one) is a better built quality. I concurred, but I didn't say a word. She had no complaint with 2011 MDX Advance, she loved it so much that she wanted a another MDX.

In short, Acura is not what it once was. Unfortunately, from my own personal experience as a 2014 tech sport owner (bought new), from an Acura MDX you can expect build quality not up to par with the much less expensive Honda Accord, but you get better reliability than the Europeans. With the Europeans you unquestionably get better build quality and poorer reliability. What’s your priority?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
In short, Acura is not what it once was. Unfortunately, from my own personal experience as a 2014 tech sport owner (bought new), from an Acura MDX you can expect build quality not up to par with the much less expensive Honda Accord, but you get better reliability than the Europeans. With the Europeans you unquestionably get better build quality and poorer reliability. What’s your priority?
That is an excellent question, what is buyers' priority, quality or reliability? Quality is short term and reliability is long term. When people spent huge amount of money for item that they have worked hard for, they want a quality product. So initial quality is top priority for most buyers. To answer your question, I prioritize quality over reliability as I fully expect electronics, electrical components, powertrain, and engine to deteriorate or fail at any time, I don't blame manufacturer for that. It is a machine for that matter.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This largely hangs on whether you lease for a few years (in which case you don't care about long term reliability as it's covered under warranty) vs those who buy and plan on keeping the vehicle for the long haul (in which case long term reliability is more important)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
That is an excellent question, what is buyers' priority, quality or reliability? Quality is short term and reliability is long term. When people spent huge amount of money for item that they have worked hard for, they want a quality product. So initial quality is top priority for most buyers. To answer your question, I prioritize quality over reliability as I fully expect electronics, electrical components, powertrain, and engine to deteriorate or fail at any time, I don't blame manufacturer for that. It is a machine for that matter.

Cannot agree with this. My 20 year old Toyota Camry still drives crazy good. The engine, transmission give me superb confidence. I truly believe it will outlast any new car in the dealer lot now. It has 143k miles now, and with proper care, I cannot see it fail before 400k. It also cost nothing to maintain. I did tb change, oil pump reseal, water pump change, crank and cam seal change myself for about $200. That's the golden standard for auto manufacturing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cannot agree with this. My 20 year old Toyota Camry still drives crazy good. The engine, transmission give me superb confidence. I truly believe it will outlast any new car in the dealer lot now. It has 143k miles now, and with proper care, I cannot see it fail before 400k. It also cost nothing to maintain. I did tb change, oil pump reseal, water pump change, crank and cam seal change myself for about $200. That's the golden standard for auto manufacturing.

I had a 16 Rogue that I drove the living daylights out of it. Gave it soooo much abuse but maintained it like crazy mad. Before it got totalled, it had 109k on the dash. Typically those things have shotty CVT and underpowered engines. One thing it did not do is left me stranded on the road. I bet its just you (the owner) have maintained the vehicle rigiorously and religiously to keep that 20 yo Camry reliable. So you can't just say it will outlast any new car on the dealer lot, cuz that's just bs. It only depends on the owner and how they maintain it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts

You barely drive that car LOL. And the gold standard should not necessarily include the DIY bias. That’s just not reasonable or practical for the vast majority of auto owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
True, I didn't drive it a lot. But that's decided by my lifestyle. On the flip side, that is how the car got A Lot of short trip miles. It has been turned on and off as many times as a real high mileage one. Some people can argue it's actually more harmful than more miles.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I had a 16 Rogue that I drove the living daylights out of it. Gave it soooo much abuse but maintained it like crazy mad. Before it got totalled, it had 109k on the dash. Typically those things have shotty CVT and underpowered engines. One thing it did not do is left me stranded on the road. I bet its just you (the owner) have maintained the vehicle rigiorously and religiously to keep that 20 yo Camry reliable. So you can't just say it will outlast any new car on the dealer lot, cuz that's just bs. It only depends on the owner and how they maintain it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The car survived to 109k precisely because you drove it a lot, must be a lot of highway miles. It won't survive 109k if you drove it normally in 10 years. A lot of credit should be given to time, in addition to mileage.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts