Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I see a lot of comments here leading me to believe that many did not 1) research what is typical with a mass produced vehicle at this price point, and 2) were not aware of many of the quality differences once you decide to pay more for a competitor such as Audi, Volvo or BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many of us can agree Acura is a semi luxury, since its being built in the same factory as base model Pilots, CRVs, Accords, Civics and HRVs. The only premium brand that I qualify as premium luxury is BMW from the germans. I did test drove all three german brands, and the fit and finish on the Benz and Audi are similar to the one found in the Acura. Value wise, other than Acura would be BMW. So I do see people thinking Acura is a luxury brand, but they don't remember that half the interior is from the previous 4th gen odyssey and 2nd gen pilot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think this comment is spot on. Many new to the brand consider Acura a "luxury" vehicle - it is not. It is an upscale Honda sold in North America as a separate brand for marketing purposes, while in the rest of the world where it is offered it is sold as a Honda. There have been on-going debates about whether Acura/Honda models qualify as "near luxury", but for me, the last near-luxury Acura in my experience was my 1991 Legend sedan. My 2009 MDX arguably made it to premium status, but only because of the attractive price point at which it was sold.

Among the vehicles in my present "fleet" is a 2019 Audi Q7 Prestige, which I bought at a nearly 20% discount from MSRP in January 2020. It's all-in price was only a couple of thousand more than for a 2020 MDX Advance I nearly bought, but oh my, the difference in fit, finish, materials and performance is incredible. Of course, once the warranty expires and complementary maintenance is over after the next several years, it will take more dinero, equivalently, to keep the beast running well than it would for the Advance. On the other hand, I have not had any recalls, paint issues or body panel alignment problems that seem to crop up in 3rd Gen MDXs. In other words, you get what you pay for.
The excuses for Acura seems like a moving goal post. First people say you're smoking something because they think 'Acura' is so perfect. Next, they are not doing research enough? I like Honda brand as the next guy, but I don't make excuses for them.

Noted, I did not compare the MDX to Audi, BMW, MB, and etc. I compared it to its previous generation and a Toyota. The only true luxury brands are BMW and MB, and I am not talking Ultra Luxury. All others are just an upscale of a generic brands.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only true luxury brands are BMW and MB, and I am not talking Ultra Luxury.
Genesis may be getting close. One of my co-workers leased a G80 as his company car. He said it was on par or better than his MB, across the board. There was a recall to replace the windshield and rear window a couple of years ago. Other than that, the only service it's needed has been oil changes and tire rotations. Looking forward to getting a closer look at the GV80.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our family / I have owned 5 Hondas / Acuras since 80's, and we had "zero" issues. My wife's MDX had numerous issues over last 4-5 years (posted in another thread, and thank god we bought AcuraCare), and we will likely avoid Hondas / Acuras in the future. Also, a friend of mine who develops tranny fluids for an Exxon sub (and works with car mfg / OEM fluid mfg) indicated that current generation Honda engineers seem to focus on "innovation" rather than quality / reliability - of course, this is limited to his tranny development. In short, Hondas / Acuras were my first choice but not any more :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The only premium brand that I qualify as premium luxury is BMW from the Germans. I did test drove all three German brands, and the fit and finish on the Benz and Audi are similar to the one found in the Acura.
Hmmm..... I don't know if you are kidding or not when you say Acura's fit and finish is equivalent to that of M-B and Audi, and that BMW is the only "premium luxury brand". Which M-B and Audi vehicles did you cross-shop or actually buy and at what trim tier? What was your basis for making this comparison? Along those lines, I'm surprised you would believe the fit and finish of, for example, a Mercedes GLS 450 AMG would miss making your premium luxury cut (which I assume to be restricted to "mass production vehicle brands" and not Bentleys, Rolls, etc.) While I agree a BMW 7 series definitely would be a luxury vehicle, I can't agree a BMW 2 series, with faux leather seats, makes the grade.

Here's another thought experiment you might want to try. Would any of the following brands be a "premium brand" under your definition, and if not, why not? - Lexus, Jaguar, Range Rover. In my opinion, while Range Rover in particular fits well within the concept of a luxury vehicle, it has an abysmal quality reputation, so it's one vehicle I'd never consider.

Finally, although you call Acura a semi-luxury brand, that's a long stretch for vehicles that borrow liberally from Honda's bargain basement parts bin. Plus, we were talking quality here. As even Honda's CEO has recently confessed, Honda has lost its way in producing quality vehicles at any trim tier, and needs to drastically up its game.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hmmm..... I don't know if you are kidding or not when you say Acura's fit and finish is equivalent to that of M-B and Audi, and that BMW is the only "premium luxury brand". Which M-B and Audi vehicles did you cross-shop or actually buy and at what trim tier? What was your basis for making this comparison? Along those lines, I'm surprised you would believe the fit and finish of, for example, a Mercedes GLS 450 AMG would miss making your premium luxury cut (which I assume to be restricted to "mass production vehicle brands" and not Bentleys, Rolls, etc.) While I agree a BMW 7 series definitely would be a luxury vehicle, I can't agree a BMW 2 series, with faux leather seats, makes the grade.

Here's another thought experiment you might want to try. Would any of the following brands be a "premium brand" under your definition, and if not, why not? - Lexus, Jaguar, Range Rover. In my opinion, while Range Rover in particular fits well within the concept of a luxury vehicle, it has an abysmal quality reputation, so it's one vehicle I'd never consider.

Finally, although you call Acura a semi-luxury brand, that's a long stretch for vehicles that borrow liberally from Honda's bargain basement parts bin. Plus, we were talking quality here. As even Honda's CEO has recently confessed, Honda has lost its way in producing quality vehicles at any trim tier, and needs to drastically up its game.
I crossed the eqivalent GLE to my MDX MY and the new GLE, and the Q7 and Q5 new ones. The GLS is way too big and Acura does not have a proper competitor for that vehicle. And I'm not comparing the SQ5 or SQ7 or AMG GLE, so like every trim below it.

When I say Semi-luxury, i mean by its just a cover up of a higher end Honda to promote that its a full on luxury brand. Its like the same thing if you look at GMC and Buick for Chevy, Infiniti for Nissan. And I do agree with Honda lost its mojo, but so did half the auto industry as well.

In my view, a premium brand needs to have great or excellance for most items, but also needs to be up to date with everything including fit and finish, interior quality, technology, etc. From my perspective I see Acura has alright quality, not good nor great but not bad nor garbage quality. I can also say Audi falls in the same range too from what I've seen and been in (imo, Audi honestly feels like a dressed up VW if anything). Yes, some base model cheapo cars from reputable brands like BMW and MB, don't qualify for the premium luxury term but they do qualify for semi-premium. And I was let down by Audi and MB when it came with half the things, since I put my expectations high due to these brands luxury reputation. Honestly I'm not a fan of said 2 brands.

However, I realized after making my first post, that this is the second vehicle we owned where I am having interior quality issues in terms of material used and technology issues. I have my own set of gripes with the MDX but its worlds better than our other current vehicle which I might get into a lemon law issue with the manufacturer for building a super flawed vehicle. Plus if it makes sense I call my MDX a Honda not an Acura, just for jokes and truth.

Compared to our previous 2 Honda's, this one has been a little disappointing to us hence we are shopping for a BMW (not trading the MDX anytime soon but adding a third car to the family fleet) otherwise we would've gotten the new RDX. We obviously won't be buying another Acura until we see some better quality overall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
The MDX is a good value at it's price point, although it does have some shortcomings in both quality and reliability. It was a trade off I was willing to make for the better value compared to a comparably priced Q7.

Although to be honest, if the Hyundai Palisade, Genesis GV80 or Kia Teluride were available when I bought my MDX I might have made a different choice. Palisade and Teluride (if you can find them) are very solid competitors to the MDX, even if they don't have actual wood trim (only plastic wood), and they are an outstanding value. Acura needs to pay attention to them as to continue to justify themselves as a good value pick in the luxury/premium/near luxury category they need to up their game in fit/finish/quality/materials/reliability/options. If they are basically the same as a Kia or Hyundai with slightly better performance but a $10k premium they are going to lose a lot of market share.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I do not consider Acura a luxury brand and was keeping my comments relative. I own/ have owned Audi, BMW, Volvo, Lexus among many others. My quality comments were specifically relative to the bloody title of this thread. Comprared to prior MDX...some things have improved but some have gone the other way.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Maybe my MDX was assemble poorly. I used tape measure to measure it, the left side, which is perfectly aligned has a gap at 1/8 inches. The right side has a gap of 5/16 inches. I removed the plastic cover, this is what I observed. The right side: the top end of the headlight assembly is protrude above the front quarter panel while the other end sits below the grill/bumper. The left headlight is perfectly aligned.
Those are the exact measurements of mine for the sides of the hood to quarter panel. The headlights on mine sit flush to the top of the quarter panel so the gap is the same between them and hood. 5/16" is RIDICULOUS for even a cheap car. The only car we own that had a cheaper MSRP than the MDX is a Subaru Impreza for my teen daughter and there isn't a panel gap below 1/8" on the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those are the exact measurements of mine for the sides of the hood to quarter panel. The headlights on mine sit flush to the top of the quarter panel so the gap is the same between them and hood. 5/16" is RIDICULOUS for even a cheap car. The only car we own that had a cheaper MSRP than the MDX is a Subaru Impreza for my teen daughter and there isn't a panel gap below 1/8" on the entire vehicle.
You still sound like a whiner. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You still sound like a whiner. Sorry.
It's sad you're satisfied with mediocrity. Those of us that complain (or "whine" if you must be petulant) are the reasons manufacturers at least sometimes make improvements.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's sad you're satisfied with mediocrity. Those of us that complain (or "whine" if you must be petulant) are the reasons manufacturers at least sometimes make improvements.
If I wasn’t satisfied at time of purchase, I would not have handed over my money for the vehicle. You had a chance to compare with vehicles other than what you saw at that dealership. You could have walked away but did not-that’s on you.

FWIW, my 2018 Adv/Ent does not have that headlight defect. Maybe I just got lucky.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Going downhill? They are way down the slope already. In my opinion, Acura quality has definitely gone downhill, especially with those being made here in the U.S. If you haven't experienced Acura's earlier quality, you won't know what was previously available and won't know what you're missing.
For perspective, I've owned a 95 Legend, an 02 TL, a 12 MDX, an 06 Odyssey and now have a 06 RL and 19 MDX. The Legend and RL were/are great quality vehicles, both made in Japan. The TL had transmission issues (total failure), which Honda/Acura did not step up to help with any owners, though the engine was reliable. The Odyssey (Honda) had too many issues to list along with tons of recalls, but it helped us get through a time where we needed a kid hauler. The 12 MDX had engine issues for me after only 70k miles where it went from no oil usage to using 1 qt every 1,000 miles, and so I got rid of that right away yet Acura finally stepped up to handle those in a recall after threatening to be sued in a class action (3.7L engine cylinder sleeve issues). Many people have had transmission issues in the earlier MDXs (2014-2018) and the same for RDX vehicles.
I was hesitant to get the 2019 MDX, but needed a 3 row vehicle and was the best value on the market. With a full 4 year warranty, it will get me through the time period I need, and then I will likely move on to another brand/model after this round. My opinion of the 19 MDX is mixed as there are huge gaps in between the fenders, hood, etc. compared to other vehicles I've owned, the technology/safety items seem to work, but are not as fluid as other vehicles I've owned or driven (Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, etc.).
That's my 2 cents, and I hope Acura is reading this note because I'm giving them an early notice "bye bye" salute.👋

·
Registered
182 Posts
Going downhill? They are way down the slope already. In my opinion, Acura quality has definitely gone downhill, especially with those being made here in the U.S. If you haven't experienced Acura's earlier quality, you won't know what was previously available and won't know what you're missing.
For perspective, I've owned a 95 Legend, an 02 TL, a 12 MDX, an 06 Odyssey and now have a 06 RL and 19 MDX. The Legend and RL were/are great quality vehicles, both made in Japan. The TL had transmission issues (total failure), which Honda/Acura did not step up to help with any owners, though the engine was reliable. The Odyssey (Honda) had too many issues to list along with tons of recalls, but it helped us get through a time where we needed a kid hauler. The 12 MDX had engine issues for me after only 70k miles where it went from no oil usage to using 1 qt every 1,000 miles, and so I got rid of that right away yet Acura finally stepped up to handle those in a recall after threatening to be sued in a class action (3.7L engine cylinder sleeve issues). Many people have had transmission issues in the earlier MDXs (2014-2018) and the same for RDX vehicles.
I was hesitant to get the 2019 MDX, but needed a 3 row vehicle and was the best value on the market. With a full 4 year warranty, it will get me through the time period I need, and then I will likely move on to another brand/model after this round. My opinion of the 19 MDX is mixed as there are huge gaps in between the fenders, hood, etc. compared to other vehicles I've owned, the technology/safety items seem to work, but are not as fluid as other vehicles I've owned or driven (Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, etc.).
That's my 2 cents, and I hope Acura is reading this note because I'm giving them an early notice "bye bye" salute.
Please post photos of all those ‘gaps’.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please post photos of all those ‘gaps’.
LOL. Any chance you work for Honda (I mean "Acura") marketing? Just because you got lucky with a single vehicle does not mean there are not serious quality and reliability problems at Honda/Acura with the volume of vehicles being pumped out yearly. As noted upthread, even Honda's CEO knows this. He admitted Honda has lost its way from its previous vaunted reputation for quality builds and reliability.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay you doubters or Acura employees....Photo gaps of the 2019 MDX vs 2006 RL. For fairness, pictures were taken on the front hood of the vehicle. I also included a rear hatch gap for the MDX. The MDX gap is over twice as wide, nearly a 1/4 inch.

2006 RL gap on front hood (just under 1/8 of an inch) and flush like it should be on a car.
For those of you who can't read a tape measure or are on the metric system, each line on the tape measure is 1/16 of an inch.

MDX, right around 1/4 inch and not flush

MDX rear hatch gap...even worse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
After reading all of these posts about gaps, a misaligned headlight assembly, door panels, and protruding gas filler doors, I had to check my car. I guess I was another lucky one because my car doesn't seem to have any of these problems. I'm very happy with the fit and finish. So my question is, if these issues bother you that much, why did you accept the car that way? Misaligned panels and headlight assemblies didn't just happen, they were there when you took delivery of the car. If you felt like the workmanship was shoddy, for the cost of the car, then move on to a different brand. It's one thing when things go wrong after your purchase, but these issues were there before you decided to buy the car. So why buy it and then complain about it?

·
Registered
605 Posts
After reading all of these posts about gaps, a misaligned headlight assembly, door panels, and protruding gas filler doors, I had to check my car. I guess I was another lucky one because my car doesn't seem to have any of these problems. I'm very happy with the fit and finish. So my question is, if these issues bother you that much, why did you accept the car that way? Misaligned panels and headlight assemblies didn't just happen, they were there when you took delivery of the car. If you felt like the workmanship was shoddy, for the cost of the car, then move on to a different brand. It's one thing when things go wrong after your purchase, but these issues were there before you decided to buy the car. So why buy it and then complain about it?
Unless (like me) it isn't something you thought to look for when shopping, and only notice over time as you get more acquainted with your vehicle. I never thought to look or noticed anything until after I had the vehicle for a few months with light hitting the vehicle the right way in the garage then I noticed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Please note the OP's question and the title of his post: "Acura build quality getting poorer?"

Panel misalignment is a sign of poor quality but, for me, was not enough to be a deal breaker. On the other hand, the issues that cause me to regret buying the MDX were not evident during the test drive or when accepting it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Please note the OP's question and the title of his post: "Acura build quality getting poorer?"

Panel misalignment is a sign of poor quality but, for me, was not enough to be a deal breaker. On the other hand, the issues that cause me to regret buying the MDX were not evident during the test drive or when accepting it.
I did take note of the OP's title of his post and my comments are not directed towards him but more of a generic response to others that are complaining about these issues.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts