Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my ZF-9Speed Transmission Fluid soon. (2016 MDX)

I got a quotes from 2 dealers in NorCal for the Acura ATF Type 3.1 ZF-9Speed Transmission fluid. (between $400-$450)

$198 (4 qts of fluid)
$27 for Drain bolt and washer
$175 (labor and tax)
will take about 90 minutes.

Is it sound reasonable?
I don't mind to pay for the service, just wanted to make sure it is at reasonable price.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Umm thats sounds awfully pricey for a 4 qt drain and fill
thats 50 smaks a qt... YIKEs...
you need a new washer... the old plug is just fine..... cash grab..
labour yah its labour...

I paid 11.00 a qt at the parts counter here up north,..

Yah maybe shop around.. if you are not planning to do it yourself
J.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm thats sounds awfully pricey for a 4 qt drain and fill
thats 50 smaks a qt... YIKEs...
you need a new washer... the old plug is just fine..... cash grab..
labour yah its labour...

I paid 11.00 a qt at the parts counter here up north,..

Yah maybe shop around.. if you are not planning to do it yourself
J.
Are you sure? you paid $11/qt for Acura Type 3.1 Fluid? this is the ZF-9Speed, not the 6Speed.
I found a cheaper around $35 but not sure if they price match.

And yes ATF Type 3.1 is SO expensive.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ah..ok right.. i missed that... thats was AFT DW-1
sorry dont have data for the 3.1... i have the 6 speed..
My bad...
J.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Type 3.1 is typically about $40-45/qt. $180 total on the high end.
Why the heck do they need a new drain bolt? Washer should be just under $2 iirc.
$175 for 1.5 hrs is a close to the $150 it should actually be.

So my estimate for 90 minutes labor and parts is $332.
DIY would be $182 ish, but you would also need to approximate the temperature and do the whole check and fill part.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm not in a place where I can easily check Honda Tech Info.... However, I do believe that Honda/Acura recommends against re-using the drain bolt. I would replace it.

The Honda ATF 3.1 can be purchased online for around $38/qt.
Drain plug is just under $19 (part number 06237-5J4-000)

https://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-ATF-TYPE-31__08200-9017.aspx

This can be a DIY job... *IF* you have access to the tooling to read transmission temperature data off the CAN bus. (Many scan tools have CAN bus support)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Sorry I should have clarified my price included shipping.

Yep, I guess the instructions call for drain plug replacement.. lame.. (instruction attached from 16 Pilot).

Heh I just let it idle for a while to get to temp and check fill and call it. I'll see if my OBD2 reader app has ATF temp reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 2015 and after tax I had tranny fluid, all rest of fluids all filters and spark plugs done at local shop for 550 was like 650 with tax...

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have a 2015 and after tax I had tranny fluid, all rest of fluids all filters and spark plugs done at local shop for 550 was like 650 with tax...
Yeah just keep in mind the 9 speed 2016+ runs fluid made of gold liqueur bled from unicorns so cost is about 4x for atf itself.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for DIY:
So, what happens if you measure the wrong temperature or didn't do the right procedure? is it going to damage the engine?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Then how can we tell if dealer mess up with the process? I mean "some" don't even know what are they doing.....
Which is why I DIY.

·
Registered
869 Posts
OTOH if the transmission takes a dump during the powertrain warranty period, and there is no record of a dealer ATF change but they find that the ATF level is incorrect, there could be a problem.

But do they REALLY want $450 just to change the ATF?!!! :wtf:

At least it's not one of those Ferraris where they pretty much have to pull the engine to change the oil. :headshake

This does make me pretty happy that my 9-speed Pilot got a new transmission at 40k miles, complete with fresh ATF! :grin:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
btw, just got a final quote with the price match on the fluid. Total = $335
I would love to DIY for this service, but i am afraid I might screw it over the engine. So I think $335 isn't that bad at all.

I am a DIY guy, I can do all other services but not going to touch this thing. :) and hopefully they know what they're doing, hope they don't pour the wrong fluid.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Watch them put in DW-1 lol

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T USE VTM-4 IN THIS NEW VERSION OF THE REAR DIFF?! ~The Pilot Story~

On that note, have you asked a Honda dealer for a price?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Yep... you think $335 is a good price for the service... maybe... but it’s a lot of money to pay for it to be screwed up, haha.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Watch them put in DW-1 lol

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T USE VTM-4 IN THIS NEW VERSION OF THE REAR DIFF?! ~The Pilot Story~

On that note, have you asked a Honda dealer for a price?
hahahaah, I hope they don't. I let the adviser aware of that. Making sure they use ATF 3.1
Totally forgot about Honda. (email them now)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The engineers seem to have anticipated that problem. But maybe it doesn't help if nobody else knows what the heck DPSF means!
Mechanics often act like they know better than the engineers. The number of mechanics who still believe in power-flushes and the "3000 mile" oil change interval and pretend they don't know what a torque wrench is:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts