Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Didnt find this posted in this particular forum. So i wanted to share what i found on Engadget:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/15/acura-2019-true-touchpad-android-rdx/

All that i have to say....it's about dang time!

Although i wont see this anytime soon with my current 2014 MDX. It will be in Acura's 2019 RDX.

It's good to see Acura got their sh!t together to add next level of innovation to their clunky, slow infotainment systems of yesteryear (not too far off really :D )

I do welcome the "Android-based car OS" (which i take what we know nowadays is Android Auto) is the platform to select for the next wave of improved in-car Infotainment systems that Acura will have to offer. I am just concerned why it took too long to really get on-board with integrating the one piece of technology that is part of our daily life--the smartphone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I do welcome the "Android-based car OS" (which i take what we know nowadays is Android Auto)
Actually, Android as the base OS for the infotainment screen is NOT the same thing as Android Auto. Android Auto is Googles competitor to Apple CarPlay (which the RDX will also support, as does the 2018 MDX).

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The Acura presentation also confirmed my suspicions that the RDX would get the 2.0L turbocharged 4 cylinder and 10 speed automatic transmission.

I was surprised, however, to see that Acura said they would be migrating their V6 platform to an "all-new" turbocharged V6 as they continue to redesign other models. This has me especially excited about the future of the MDX. Considering that the MDX has always been nicer than the RDX -- and the 3rd gen RDX looks great and seems to be packed with features -- the 4th gen MDX will hopefully be AWESOME.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, Android as the base OS for the infotainment screen is NOT the same thing as Android Auto. Android Auto is Googles competitor to Apple CarPlay (which the RDX will also support, as does the 2018 MDX).
i see.

thanks for clarifying.

anything outside of what's currently in their vehicles is welcomed. that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
i see. thanks for clarifying. anything outside of what's currently in their vehicles is welcomed. that's for sure.
Yep, I agree. The infotainment in my MDX "works" but it's certainly the weak link and something that Acura has struggled with. The little I saw of the new RDX infotainment seemed much-improved. I'm not sold on the touch pad (seems very Lexus-like, to me) but I'll reserve final judgement until I can sit in one and actually try it out.

I love the panoramic moon roof.

I need to calm down and force myself to hold out for the 4th gen MDX...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, I agree. The infotainment in my MDX "works" but it's certainly the weak link and something that Acura has struggled with. The little I saw of the new RDX infotainment seemed much-improved. I'm not sold on the touch pad (seems very Lexus-like, to me) but I'll reserve final judgement until I can sit in one and actually try it out.

I love the panoramic moon roof.

I need to calm down and force myself to hold out for the 3rd gen MDX...
I'd guess this will be in the 4th gen of the MDX.

The only reason i say that is due to the 4th gen going through 2 versions already.

And the 2019 would be Acura's 3rd Gen RDX.

just my guess.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'd guess this will be in the 5th gen of the MDX.

The only reason i say that is due to the 4th gen going through 2 versions already
You are mistaken. The MDX is currently in its 3rd generation. The 4th gen has not even been announced, yet. We guess it’s coming in 2020-2021 — but no official word, yet.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are mistaken. The MDX is currently in its 3rd generation. The 4th gen has not even been announced, yet. We guess it’s coming in 2020-2021 — but no official word, yet.
sheesh...that was a bit typo on my end.:nerd:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don’t care for touch screens in my vehicles...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice to see SH-AWD back on the RDX, but 10 speed tranny? They haven't even figured out the problems they're having with the 9 speed trannys...lol.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I like that the second start button is still located in a handy spot on the dash (auto idle stop disable).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Didnt find this posted in this particular forum. So i wanted to share what i found on Engadget:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/15/acura-2019-true-touchpad-android-rdx/

All that i have to say....it's about dang time!

Although i wont see this anytime soon with my current 2014 MDX. It will be in Acura's 2019 RDX.

It's good to see Acura got their sh!t together to add next level of innovation to their clunky, slow infotainment systems of yesteryear (not too far off really :D )

I do welcome the "Android-based car OS" (which i take what we know nowadays is Android Auto) is the platform to select for the next wave of improved in-car Infotainment systems that Acura will have to offer. I am just concerned why it took too long to really get on-board with integrating the one piece of technology that is part of our daily life--the smartphone.
The best looking RDX ever. Maybe Acura will just redo the motor, transmission and interior of the MDX and will use the current chassis and sheet metal? I bet they do.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Nice to see SH-AWD back on the RDX, but 10 speed tranny? They haven't even figured out the problems they're having with the 9 speed trannys...lol.
9-speed tranny isn't Honda's design. That one is on ZF. And there is only so much Honda's software engineers can do to mitigate the things ZF's hardware engineers decided to do. Honda's 10-speed trans has been in top-trim Odyssey for a few months, and it is appearing in upper trims of Honda's bread-and-butter Accord. I have yet to read anything negative about it, so hopefully they did their homework. As I understand it, Honda is still ramping up production of that transmission and we can expect to see it popping up all over the place in Honda/Acura land. The 10-speed is a "conventional" planetary gear transmission with a torque converter, but no "dog clutches". It has about the same range of gear ratios as the ZF 9HP.

It looks like DCTs will soldier on in Acura's sport-hybrids, which are engineered to use the electric motors to smooth out power delivery through the DCT. And it doesn't look like CVTs are going away.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

The 9 Speed is made by ZF so Honda has nothing to figure out.
The 10 speed is IN HOUSE made by Honda sadly its not a Honda-Matic (Manual trans converted to Automatic) but rather a very common Planetary Setup.

What its most interesting is that this will be officially the first use of the 10 speed trans in a AWD Application...
So its not exactly the same trans as the Odyssey and the one being used on the top trim Accord.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 2018's tech have the Android/Apple Auto, it's pretty slick in addition to the WAZE app working with the maps.
I like it but it wasn't a deal breaker. It's the new grill I really like and with 22's all around make it a REAL head turner. The 2019 RDX will have the new grill and some additional tweaked jewel headlights, it's really futuristic.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The 10 speed is IN HOUSE made by Honda sadly its not a Honda-Matic (Manual trans converted to Automatic) but rather a very common Planetary Setup.

What its most interesting is that this will be officially the first use of the 10 speed trans in a AWD Application...
So its not exactly the same trans as the Odyssey and the one being used on the top trim Accord.
Common setup, but a very uncommon number of "solar systems" ( planetary gear clusters ). I think this may actually be the first in-house Honda transmission design to use planetary gears. RIP "Honda-matic". Smooth as silk, but ultimately sacrificed at the altar of fuel efficiency. Too much friction loss? The latest Honda Ridgeline "pickup truck" kept the Honda 6-speed, but I wonder how much longer?

True that, about AWD application of the 10-speed. Probably another thing Honda is "ramping up".

But we have diverged far from the posted topic. The infotainment system in my 2016 Pilot Touring runs on a very locked-down version of Android, and the NAV software is from Garmin. 2016 Pilot doesn't support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, but that was added for 2017. My vehicle was very early production, and it was infested with bugs when it was first released, but it mostly works now... I wonder if there will be a whole new round of early-adopter headaches in store for intrepid 2019 RDX buyers. But did I mention no 9-speed trans? Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The Honda-Matic was far more efficient than ANY planetary gear setup.. I think the main issue was how to incorporate more gears in what was basically a Manual Transmission converted to Automatic. This was the primary reason why Honda kept lagging on introducing new Automatics with more gears..

The Honda-Matic simply hit a wall in development. I think they could have added another gear (7 like the Corvette Manual) but by now the 8-9 speeds were the norm so a 7 speed today would have been outdated day one. I don´t even have to drive the new 10 speed to know its going to be far more laggy when changing gears than any Honda-Matic, But with that many gears its a moot point... It will beat any Honda-Matic by mere brute strength (Gear count).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts