Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a timing belt replaced at an acura dealer on my 2008 acura sh mdx 82,000 miles and a couple of weeks later the engine shut off while driving. I was told the drive belt tensioner failed. The engine repair is about 4-6 thousand. Dealer will pay for labor, but want me to pay for parts, around $1000. I think the dealer should be fully responsible.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
And so do I think the dealer is 100% Responsible...
Engine is pretty much dead which is entirely their fault if those are all OEM Parts installed in an Official Dealership.

Threat to Sue them and step a level, Call Acura HQ Directly.

Reactions: arthurjay

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am curious... What exactly failed?
Because the drive belt tensioner as in (Accessory Belt) is not replaced in the 105K Service its just uninstalled and re-installed afterwards but even if it failed how did that caused 4 to 6K in Damages?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told that the drive belt tensioner failed and because of this failure the timing belt came loose and wrapped around the crank shaft and caused extensive engine damage. Should this have been prevented by the acura maintenance crew or is this just a 1 in a million occurrence?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I´ve seen a similar damage before but its pretty rare... That is, the drive belt snapping getting stuck in the crankpulley, destroying the timing belt cover and finally ripping the timing belt off causing severe engine failure. But this is like 1 in a million odds.

Are you sure your is not that the Timing Belt tensioner failed? Because the odds of what I said happening is pretty rare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts