Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's MDX recently started throwing a bunch of warnings right at startup -- SH AWD, Emission System, O2 sensors, and some other codes. I find it highly unlikely that all those systems would be having issues at the same time and after reading on here, I decided to replace the battery. The old battery was installed in Oct 2014 at the dealer and was an Acura battery rated at 630 CC amps. I read online that most flooded cell car batteries tend to go bad after around 5-6 years. I live in a mild climate and the vehicle is garaged every night. I tested the old battery with a battery tester after removing it from the car and it had 530 amps. The new battery had 805 amps (rated 700 CC amps), measured in a ~55 degree F garage. Anyhow, I'm curious, has anyone actually had an Acura battery last 100 months with regular use? I suspect that they just want to get people bring their cars into the dealer for replacement to boost their service revenue. I can get a $15 core deposit by bringing the battery back to Costco. If I take it to the Acura dealership, will they give me anything for the warranty? I suspect not. Curious why they give such a long warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Our 2012 Acura OEM battery died in 2017.

It was less than $70 at Costco for a 34R with a 48 month warranty from Interstate.

After almost 3 years it's still cranking fine. We keep our MDX garaged and the climate is mild most of the year.

If you can get an Acura branded battery for the same price, get it. If not, you'll need to decide if the additional cost is worth the extra 52 months.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Double check the warranty info, but I'm pretty sure the full replacement term is 36 months, then pro-rated after that. Virtually every battery on the market is structured with a full/pro-rated replacement warranty and the rated CCA is approximately what the battery will have when it is 50% through it's life, thus the fact that your brand new battery tested well above the actual CCA rating. Personally I buy my batteries at Walmart (I buy their best battery @ 36 months full replacement), not because they sell the best batteries, but because if the day comes that it fails during the warranty period I am far more likely to be near a Walmart than just about any battery source and they are open 363 days a year. Dealer parts/service are often closed on weekends and even if you live in a major metro where they are open weekends what about if the battery dies in the middle of a road trip in BFE? The only better replacement coverage you can get might be AAA, since they provide roadside service 365 days a year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aside from the warranty, you might want to check your HandsFreeLink module, it's probably draining your battery.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've never gone pass 36-48 months with an Acura/Honda battery. It usually begins with slow starts, occasionally needed a jump start if it sits too long (like coming back after a week long vacation), and failing completely without warning. I've always switched to Interstate batteries when that starts to happen with OEM batteries and always get the full warranty period with normal starts with Interstate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine made it to about 48 months till the alternator killed a cell before it died and it did not have a hint of slowing down. They gave me the prorated amount after they tested it and I paid $95 for the replacement. Which to me was a good price for a new battery.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Did you load tested it? Just measuring the amps is not a complete view of the battery health...

Any aftermarket battery was better than the oem, because most brands have similar warranties as well. Plus, most of them exceed the minimum CCAs of an oem battery. Just be sure u are getting one with about 700+

I have good luck with Wal-Mart exide/maxx series & yeah, they last about 5~6 years before showing signs of wear

I'm trying champions agm battery this time around for the wife's 2005 model
DSC_0100.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
DSC_0104.JPG
DSC_0103.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

Installed last year & showing good performance so far... I used my automatic trickle charger on it because you're not supposed to fast charge agm or gel cell batteries

1 - 8 of 8 Posts