Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Just bought a certified, 2015 tech, I am constantly shifting right into sport mode instead of drive, Is this normal behavior for the shifter? All of my other cars, there's always an indent or something. I want to make sure its not a locking assembly or something that is having problems.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you are shifting into second and not sport mode. To get to sport mode you would push the IDS button.
2nd what? He's talking about Sport mode for the transmission/gear stalk, not the IDS.

I purposely switch to sport mode all the time. Its no easier or hard to switch from park to drive to sport or any other combo for me. Are you saying it kinda slips in to sport mode from drive?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
People get confused because he's calling it sport but it's sequential mode.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
2nd what? He's talking about Sport mode for the transmission/gear stalk, not the IDS

The shift Lever on my 2015 ADV is as follows

P = Park
R = Reverse
N = Neutral
D = Drive
S = Sequential mod

Sorry it is my wife's car and I am showing my age the S always meant Second in all my older cars including my wife's TL.
Also I have never used Sequential mode I just use the paddles on the steering wheel.

If I want to go into Sports Mode I need to push the IDS button.
So I guess we are both wrong.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
S = Second? not in Honda and Acuras..
Acura TL used "1-2" in the Shift gate (To select either 1st gear or 2nd Gear) then later on like the 4G TL the only way to select those is using the Sport Shift.
Honda used the Classic "D2".

Going way back my older Pontiac and later on Monte Carlo never said "S" for Second.. They had a clear "2" in the shift selector.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Never mind I just read the Owners Manual for the 2015 MDX and MAN...

It seems the only reason for S to exist is to be able to Hold 1st and 2nd like you would do using a shift lever that has a 1 and 2 selection this is for when you need to go through snow or mud (Basically getting stuck) bonus is being able to hold all gears if wanted but it doesn´t seem to be its first priority considering you can kick down at any time in D?.

In the 2nd Gen MDX you have the older Shift Gate with a Left Kick into SS.. SS allows you to select 1st and second because otherwise there is no way to select it.. 2g MDX shift lever only goes down to D3.

Then in the refresh they added that S shift lever point which is basically the new "Left Kick into SS" which allows for complete manual control of the car and being able to selec 1st and 2nd as a bonus!

^ This is all new info for me guys, bear with me.

So basically OP is overflying D directly into S..
Page 333 of the Owners manual specify the flow through the Shift Gate but engineers made a terrible mistake..
They used the Shift Lever Button to switch from D to S (Well what more they can do when you have an all vertical shift gate?)... This is beyond MORONIC because you have to press that Lever Button to Shift out of PARK into D, I believe most people are like me that like to keep that button depressed all the way to D..

Now I get how OP can skip D into S... Unless there are gaps between each selection that have some strong feedback you can count it will be easy to skip D altogether into S if you are holding the shift lever button all the way.

My advice will be... Release the button when you are out of P right away... R N and D do not need to depress the button between changes so when you arrive at D you cannot shift into S without Depressing the shift lever button again.

It should be impossible to shift into S without depressing the shift lever button, if the lever can shift from D to S without depressing the button then something is wrong.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is beyond MORONIC
The morons were just getting warmed up. They took it to the next level with the push-button shifter! Take something perfectly simple, reliable, and intuitive, and make it cumbersome, distracting, and unreliable. Great call... :3:

But they can call S-mode whatever they want, I will still call it Sport mode! So there. >:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same problem in one of our previous vehicles, a Ford Edge...I would fly past "D" and wind up in "S" a lot, until I learned to only "tap" the shift release button as I moved out of reverse, and simply pull the lever back the rest of the way without holding the button down. It wouldn't move past "D" unless the button was held down.

The push-button shifter in our new MDX doesn't bother me at all. I just think it could be put in a better place, so that it truly saves space on the center console. Lincoln does it a little better in the MKX, I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all, thanks for the comments, sorry for the late reply i forgot my password. So my only other cars did not have a button for changing gears. I had an 05 tsx(rip), and an 07 tacoma, they all have to be moved from the drive to go into a sport or sequential mode. Needless to say, i was holding the button the whole time, and jamming it right past D. After a few days i figured it out. push button to get out of p and release button and all works well. thanks for all the comments, i hope i can be a helpful part of this community.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts