Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be nice if no one had something to post in this thread, but unfortuntately is a fact of life . . . . . accidents happen.

I've seen some threads about accidents, rollovers, fender-benders, etc., and thought we could try to put all these under one thread in the future.

I've come up with this idea because of an unfortunate incendent with both of my cars. The other driver in the house (I don't want to pick on female drivers here . . . oops, too late) was backing the previously unblemished X out of the garage and rubbed, smeared, wedged, and totally buggered the right rear up against both side doors of the Maxima. What bugs me alot is that the two cars scraped against eachother for about 4 feet. That's a lot of white paint on my gold Nissan! It's also dented.

The X did not get dented, and is less damaged. The side of the bumper where it wraps around the car is scratched to the black underplastic and the rear quarter panel is also slightly scratched. I'm assuming the whole bumper will have to be replaced . . . .
(pity me!)
I'll post some pix for y'all to see. Any suggestions or recommendations on the repairs?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Good independant bodyshops...

...are getting HARDER & HARDER to find.

Make sure that you DO NOT go to an "Insurance Company Owned" shop, as they WILL you 'good enough' parts, which AREN'T!

An Independant will tell you EXACTLY what the differences are between the various options.

You will be SHOCKED, STUNNED & AMAZED how much parts are going to cost.

White is USUALLY not too hard to match, but their is some pearl in tafeta, so make sure the estimate includes extra time for paint restoration. The GOLD may be oxidized/faded (another good reason to be fastidious about waxing metallics...), if it is you may need to have ALOT of paint work.

When a REAL PRO body shop gives your car back "good as new" it is a nice feeling -- both because your vehicle looksa great & becuase it restores your faith in QUALITY WORKMANSHIP.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I feel your pain

MrPrescott,

I feel your pain. Day before yesterday my wife scraped the MDX passenger side mirror when she was backing out of the garage. I warned her that the MDX was parked too close to the right approximately 5 minutes before she was ready to leave, but I guess my warning was ignored. :mad:

This is the second time in the course of our MDX ownership (8 months) that she has done this. Fortunately, the damage is very minor (thanks to break-away mirror design) and can be repaired with only touch-up paint (as I did the first time).

I try to park my Maxima as far to the left as possible to give MDX lots of room. Regardless, I still have multiple dings on the right rear door of the Maxima induced by the MDX's left rear door (with lots of help from my 4-year old, of course). :)

Oh well, what can you do. I guess it's just part of family car life for the MDX. You can try to protect the MDX to an extent, but it is impossible to prevent every single ding, scratch, and dent.

Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
MrPrescott,
I feel your pain, 'cause I had backed up my brand new Audi into my sister's car on my driveway. So much for a nice sister who came over to babysit. Needless to say, that was one heck of an expensive baby sitting bill. The only saving grace was that both cars were black. Years later, this is one of those stupid stories that get repeated during the holidays.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Problem is MDX, Not Driver

The problems above are not the drivers, the problems result from the fact, plain and simple, that the %#@*^ MDX is just too damn wide. Shurely you know about this design flaw, owners of other SUVs have posted this many, many times before. Addtionally, the MDX is so wide, one owner completely totalled his X simply by pulling it into his garage [guess the X was slightly wider than the garage opening].

Golly, this is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Sure wish it was 04/01/2002 all over again 'cause then you would all understand

;)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: You need these

renov8r said:
In my assessment, the first one: You might as well get the Acura BSM.

no-ding: I kind of like these because they are thick and wide, but maybe not long enough if you were parked next to another SUV. Use 4 of them?

The last one is cool. Maybe you could hang them from the roof rack. Finally found a use for the rack!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your sympathy:( I'll enjoy reading this thread, and will post my pix soon.

For the record, this accident was not caused by width. It was caused by a lack of attention while backing. Even though she walked right past the Max, she says she didn't think it was parked in the driveway. :confused: She didn't even try to avoid the car; if she had, she would have missed it despite the "%#@*&" width.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Women...

I have a saying that effectively explains many unusual, unexplainable, strange, weird, and rediculous things that women seem to do.

"She. (pause) Enough said."

it works well at parties, family get togethers, and at the office!
Men always get a good laugh with my quick explanation, and women casually start to laugh before they start to understand what I am actually saying, then become increasingly annoyed with me!

Larry

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Don't get it??

:22:

·
Registered
102 Posts
she. enough said!

when ever a guy starts telling a story something about his wife/girlfriend did, as soon as he starts to complain about her by saying "She blah blah blah..." I cut the guy off and say, like I knew his frustrations, "She. Enough said!" Its like a catch all, or something that is understood. All men understand the frustrations of dealing with women, we dont need the exact details of an individual story.
She. Enough said!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
larryhot13 ... Still don't get it ... Sorry, was just funnin' you [note the smilie in the 1st post]

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MrPrescott said:
It would be nice if no one had something to post in this thread, but unfortuntately is a fact of life . . . . . accidents happen.

I've seen some threads about accidents, rollovers, fender-benders, etc., and thought we could try to put all these under one thread in the future.

I've come up with this idea because of an unfortunate incendent with both of my cars. The other driver in the house (I don't want to pick on female drivers here . . . oops, too late) was backing the previously unblemished X out of the garage and rubbed, smeared, wedged, and totally buggered the right rear up against both side doors of the Maxima. What bugs me alot is that the two cars scraped against eachother for about 4 feet. That's a lot of white paint on my gold Nissan! It's also dented.

The X did not get dented, and is less damaged. The side of the bumper where it wraps around the car is scratched to the black underplastic and the rear quarter panel is also slightly scratched. I'm assuming the whole bumper will have to be replaced . . . .
(pity me!)
I'll post some pix for y'all to see. Any suggestions or recommendations on the repairs?
Someone had recently rubbed up against my X in the city when I parked it. I had applied alot of Zaino polish in past, and was surprised to see the Z5 zaino removed all the rubber from the other vehicle that had been on my bumper and lower trim. You might want to try a mild wax like the Z5 scratch remover it was a miracle it came back to new!

·
Registered
89 Posts
O.K., all you men out there. It's not JUST the women who do these things.

My DH has a long history of doing these things. Within two weeks of moving into our brand new home, he backed out of the garage before the door was completely up. Had a mini-van at the time, caught the roof racks on the bottom of the garage door...Enough said! And that's not the first or last time something like that has occurred.

He took the MDX to work today for the first time and I'm petrified of what it will look like when he returns this afternoon, despite my admonitions to park 'far away from everyone'. He almost wiped out the driver side mirror backing out, as he was too entranced with the tilt-down feature of the passenger side mirror. Yes, it's the first time he's driven it! :eek:

Also, the day after we picked the X up, I parked in the garage between our TL and the lawn mower. Asked DH if he had enough room to exit the vehicle without hitting on the lawnmower handle. "Oh sure, I have plenty of room." Then he proceeded to bang the door right up against the handle! :3: Lucky for him, there was no resulting ding or paint exchange from that one.

Just wanted to let you know that the men aren't the only ones who can be fanatical when it comes to keeping their X (or any other vehicle, for that matter) looking good. In our home, it's just the opposite of what you all seem to be experiencing, as he still thinks I'm nuts for wanting to hand wash and wax it myself, especially since I'll need a ladder to reach the center of the hood (being short does have it's disadvantages at times). :20: In my home, the saying is "He. Enough said."

·
Registered
89 Posts
larryhot13,

ROFLMAO!

Yeah, you have a point and may well be right, but then...he'd be just too perfect, and don't know if I could live with that, either.:22:

Then again, the same thing could be true if all you guys out there stopped harassing your dear, wonderful wives/girlfriends. :27:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
dmcconaghie ... You used the identifier "DH" in your "presentation". I think I got the "H" in "DH" but am almost afraid to guess at the "D". Care to share?

:8:

·
Registered
89 Posts
C'mon, you guys know how it is...;)

Obviously, it varies between Dear and Damn, depending on his actions. The Damn was applied briefly after he hit the door against the mower handle. But went back to Dear quickly once I realized that no damage had been done and he apologized.

In the context of the previous posting though, I was referring to him as Dear.

And...after having thoroughly checked out the X upon his return from work yesterday, given the excellent job he did in protecting it, he still holds the Dear title (for now).:10:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts