Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a new member to the MDX owner club and just wanted to say that I really appreciate this site and the invaluable info from the members.

I just bought a 2002 Black on Balck Toring Edition.

I need some help/info:

1. Is the cargo liner better than the cargo tray
2. Does any one have a picturs of OEM side-staps on a black MDX
3. Are their any after market cheaper/better options for the side steps

Tim seems to be the best source for accessories but any other options for the SF Bay Area in terms of pricing

Thanks for the help

sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Acura Cargo tray is excellent. Does its job correctly.
Acura MDX orginal side steps is more cosmetic than usefulness and doesnt even look all that great. I recommend the stainless/chrome side steps for Acura MDX from Maniks. compliments the stainless.chrome door handles nicely.
Go buy four chrome caps for your valve stems on your wheels. compliments excellently. You can get that from Kragen autoparts or any autoparts store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
ydnas said:
Tim seems to be the best source for accessories but any other options for the SF Bay Area in terms of pricing
We've all compared before, and it's hard to beat Tim's prices with $2 handling and most places no tax...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
I agree with Fireblade6, cargo tray is quite good. I have and use both the cargo tray and the liner. My dog rides in the back so the cargo liner makes for very easy cleanup of loose hair that is a nightmare to vac off of the carpet, and the cargo tray allows me to hose down after he has been in the X with wet or muddy feet.
Caro liner protects the wheel wells and the back of 2nd row seats very well.

I have found the two to be a great combination.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
I beg to differ!

Fireblade6 said:
Acura MDX orginal side steps is more cosmetic than usefulness and doesnt even look all that great. I recommend the stainless/chrome side steps for Acura MDX from Maniks.
The OEM steps are exactly equivalent to the Maniks in terms of usefulness, so if the OEM are cosmetic then so are the Maniks. That said I will state that I believe the OEM's to be superior in quality especially with respect to durability and construction of mounting hardware!

Given the presumption that they (both) are only cosmetic, then looks are a matter of personal opinion and tastes. I confess that I too prefer Chrome, so I had the OEMs powdercoated.

Powdercoated OEMs and Maniks offer the same (more or less) cosmetic value with the quality edge going to OEM and the cost edge going to Manik.
But if black is preferred then the OEM would be preferrred over the Maniks because of quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for info every one.

I am trying to decide betweek the Manik and OEM side steps. I have already decided that I want the blacks.

I searched through the archives but could not find any clear answer.

Do you think the black Manik's are better than the OEM's?

Thanks

sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
I have the Acura OEM Sidesteps and they are awesome. Got them from TIM of course !

All of my accessories are black: moonroof visor, rear tailgate deflector, mudflaps, ventvisors, black window tint...ALL BLACK, so I went with the Acura OEM black sidesteps, because in my case they would visually look better. Nice color flow.

I've gotton so many compliments on the sidesteps alone, I really am surprised. I've heard things like "it really put's a finishing touch on the SUV." I'm hoping that it will add some additional protection against door dings from cars that are very low to the ground, like sports cars and such. Who knows. I love them !!

The maniks look great too ! LOVE THEM !!!
It all depends on your taste and maybe your accessories.

Good luck & welcome aboard !
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
Re: I beg to differ!

msu79gt82 said:


The OEM steps are exactly equivalent to the Maniks in terms of usefulness, so if the OEM are cosmetic then so are the Maniks. That said I will state that I believe the OEM's to be superior in quality especially with respect to durability and construction of mounting hardware!

Given the presumption that they (both) are only cosmetic, then looks are a matter of personal opinion and tastes. I confess that I too prefer Chrome, so I had the OEMs powdercoated.

Powdercoated OEMs and Maniks offer the same (more or less) cosmetic value with the quality edge going to OEM and the cost edge going to Manik.
But if black is preferred then the OEM would be preferrred over the Maniks because of quality.
I agree.:29:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Don't have either, but one additional differentiating factor between the two, is that the OEM is more flush to the door, whereas the Maniks stick out a bit more. Some have suggested you may get a bit better footing/leverage on the Maniks because of the distance from the door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
Agree and . . .

MDXtrous said:
Don't have either, but one additional differentiating factor between the two, is that the OEM is more flush to the door, whereas the Maniks stick out a bit more. Some have suggested you may get a bit better footing/leverage on the Maniks because of the distance from the door.
I have the stainless Maniks and concur with MDXtrous that they stick out 1/2 - 1" further than the wheel/tires. Not only do they provide a better footing/leverage but I am convinced that they help protect against door dings or dents. In fact they are actually initimidating in that people will actually be careful when opening their doors so as to not smack into the tubes. And that stainless finish is the 'piece de resistance' !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
Re: I beg to differ!

msu79gt82 said:


The OEM steps are exactly equivalent to the Maniks in terms of usefulness, so if the OEM are cosmetic then so are the Maniks. That said I will state that I believe the OEM's to be superior in quality especially with respect to durability and construction of mounting hardware!

Of course they're equivalent in usefulness if you step OVER them! If you actually step ON them, the Maniks give you a better target!
:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
My only complaint about the OEM side steps ...

socalJD said:
I have the stainless Maniks and concur with MDXtrous that they stick out 1/2 - 1" further than the wheel/tires.
... is that you have a tendency to brush your calves against them when exiting the vehicle. Thus the extra ~ 1" the Maniks stick out will exxaggerate that particular aggravation:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Another thing to consider

I remember reading elsewhere on this site that OEM steps are sturdier than Maniks. While OEM steps use 72 bolts to attach to the frame, Maniks require a smaller number of bolts to be mounted. As a result, Maniks tend to flex when you step on them while OEM steps remain flex-free.

Also, lower quality of Maniks manifests itself via cracked plastic pads as reported by several members on this site. No such incidents have been reported for OEM side steps.

In my opinion, OEM steps is the way to go. Of course, I am a little biased since I already have OEM side steps. :18:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
I have the black oem side steps on my redrock mdx and I wouldn't consider anything else --- unless I wanted (which I don't) the silver ones. I vote for the OEM black for your black on black 'X.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
I had the cracked step problem, I fixed it and it is now a non-problem. Are they a little more 'flexy' than the stock?
Yes, just one look at them it is obvious they would have to be.
Is it excessive? No, and when using the steps to step in and out of the vehicle, and clean the roof, it is not even noticeable.
And as suggested by SoCalJD, I have noticed the same phenomena, that people tend to aovid the Maniks when parking. I guess they are somewhat intimidating. But they do look very sharp!
Are they harder to step over? Yes, slightly but that makes them even easier to use as steps.
Splitting hairs here folks, use what looks good to you and gets the job done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Re: My only complaint about the OEM side steps ...

msu79gt82 said:


... is that you have a tendency to brush your calves against them when exiting the vehicle. Thus the extra ~ 1" the Maniks stick out will exxaggerate that particular aggravation:rolleyes:
A discussion like this exists somewhere else on this site, but there is definitely a right way and a wrong way to enter and exit an MDX with side steps.

After I installed my Maniks, I had to duck to clear the door opening when entering the car and couldn't understand what had happened.

The problem is that when you step over the side steps, you extend your body, and there is less clearance for your head.

THE TRICK IS TO STAND ON THE STEP (PREFERABLY WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT) AND SIT DOWN FROM THAT POSITION. Similarly, step on the side step while exiting -- don't try to step over it.

After all, they really are only cosmetic if you dont step on them. That's why they are called side STEPS!

The major difference between OEM and Maniks is COST! Maniks are $150 to $200 cheaper.

---------------------------------------------
2002 Touring, Mesa Beige, just about everything but fender flares in Colorado Springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Drag?

For those of you who have driven some distance with and without side steps, did you notice any difference in gas mileage? Wondering if those things are sufficiently aerodynamic, or if they create any noticeable drag.

Thanks,
Ioana.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,761 Posts
Re: Drag?

archimedes1 said:
For those of you who have driven some distance with and without side steps, did you notice any difference in gas mileage? Wondering if those things are sufficiently aerodynamic, or if they create any noticeable drag.

Thanks,
Ioana.
No diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
TOWING PACKAGE QUESTION

We are expecting a September delivery on our new MDX without the towing package.

In the past, we have owned SUV's (Expedition & Jeeps) that included towing packages. I may have used the hitch twice a year to tow a U-Haul trailer of mulch or for other personal landscaping needs.

Considering limited towing use, is it worth it to install the Acura towing package or can I get by with a hitch only?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top