Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just wanted to ask the audience here of their experiences in shopping for accessories at Montclair Acura in New Jersey. After a long wait, I finally got to know my VIN# (Jamie, your dates were right on, thanks a ton !!), and I was told that I shud expect to see my X in 7-10 days :D

So then we started talking accessories, and the sales guys faxed me a copy of the accessories that they have and I was amazed at their prices. Every single price on there was on an average 30-40% more than what Acura's own website lists. So I wonder whats going on and call the sales guy back only to be told that they can give me a discount of 25% on their prices, and goes on to say that Acura's website does not include installation costs in their prices (which I think is incorrect), which is why the dealers prices are a little (??) higher than the Acura website.

Now I know that most of the stuff I want is much cheaper with Tim, and I can install it myself. But I have also heard that many of you out there got the dealer to give you accessories at Tim's price. I definitely want Side Steps and am a little hesitant in installing it myself, so would want this one item to be installed at the dealership itself.

So if any of you have dealt with Montclair Acura and can give me the prices that you got for accessories, that will be much appreciated. Also any tips would be greatly helpful. I am looking at getting the all weather mats, cargo net, splash guards and the side steps (except the latter I can pretty much install the rest myself).

I can't wait to get into my X and see the world in a whole new light :D

Thanks everyone for making this such a great forum !

Regards,

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
kamalsyal said:
...Acura's website does not include installation costs in their prices (which I think is incorrect), which is why the dealers prices are a little (??) higher than the Acura website....
While I haven't dealt with Montclair, I believe the salesman is correct, in that installation costs are not included in the accessory cost.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It seems as though the Acura website does include estimated installation cost for accessories. Along with a disclaimer stating that dealers can charge whatever they want.

(the shot below is for side steps)

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, mdxxx for the quick response...

I can understand some installation costs for items like side steps etc (looks like they are charging $269 installation, if I see their $895 price tag and compare it with the $626 shown at acura.com), but why would they have a $80 installation charge for something as simple as a floor mat ???? They are already making a good amount of $$$ selling at MSRP....

Oh well....I guess I may have to get the side steps installed and and do the rest myself....

Regards,

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you're getting your accessory $numbers from the "build and price" section of Acura's site, then installation IS included BUT is an estimate:
Estimated Installed MSRP: xxx *

*Prices shown are suggested retail prices that include dealer's estimated labor charges for installation. The average Acura labor rate in the United States is $77.00 per hour. Dealers are independent businesses and are free to set their own selling prices and labor charges. Prices shown do not include taxes or any other dealer charges.
If you can screw in a lightbulb, sidesteps are an easy install. IMO the only accessories people ought to consider having the dealer install are the wood steering wheel and the tranny coolers.

Buy from Tim.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Steps are $433 from Tim. At $895 installed @ your dealer, that's $462 in labor. Not bad for 1 hour's work. Too bad you're on the East Coast; I'd install your steps for half that :)

Take your bare naked car and RUN AWAY.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TheWorm for your insight....

Tell me, do you need to make any holes etc to install the side steps or just screw these side steps on ? How long does it take to install them ?

Would I need to do any "damage" :( to my X in order to install them ?

Thanks for the help !

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
kamalsyal said:

Tell me, do you need to make any holes etc to install the side steps or just screw these side steps on ? How long does it take to install them ?

Thanks for the help !
The holes are already in the frame/chassis. It'll take you 90 minutes. Most of that will be spent @ your kitchen table assembling the brackets (72 bolts IIRC). I did ours on the coffee table while watching the tube.

It is virtually impossible to screw up the sidestep installation.

The installation directions are straightforward, but you can do a search on the site for some pics and tips.

·
Registered
449 Posts
kamalsyal said:

Thanks for the help !
My suggestion is to try it yourself and then if you really feel you can do it, then bring it to the dealer to install. The steps and running board are really easy to install. My recommendation is to build all the brackets first in your house and then bolt the brackets and the board or step. Overall install time about 1 to 2 hours. The only difficulty might be you have to crawl under the truck to mount the brackets. Overall an easy install.
Remember the dealer charges you for the install by the hour, that is why there is a discrepancy from dealer to dealer regarding installtion costs. I know at Rallye they charge about $90 an hour, and they were selling the step for abotu $900, so if you figure it they are charging you for abour a 4 hour installation which is bogus.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
rjmitche said:
It seems as though the Acura website does include estimated installation cost for accessories. Along with a disclaimer stating that dealers can charge whatever they want.

(the shot below is for side steps)
I stand corrected!:4:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi All:

___The thing I don’t understand is the markup on all Acura accessories most dealers sell installed. It only takes a quick look to Tim at Hondacuraworld to see that his accessory (not installed of course) prices are below MSRP and their must be a profitable cost basis or Ray Laks wouldn’t be offering them. Add in the real install hours which are documented for just about every accessory offered here in the forum and most of these Acura dealers are literally killing their customers! I can’t believe it takes an Acura mechanic any more time to put those 72 bolts together with a torque wrench to install sidesteps or to place mats in an X (just two examples) than you or I and they have had to do it more than once I am sure. This is another area that really burns me up in regards to dealers and their maximizing profits at the expense of their own customers! If they say it takes 4 hours to install a set of side steps and it takes only 1, I think they should be offering the customer a nice $360 rebate if their charge out rate was actually $90/hr.

___Luckily for Acura, most MDX customers don’t have a clue as to how little time is spent to install accessories but only see what the dealer writes down on the order sheet. I wonder if Acura themselves are not in on giving dealerships a nice profit margin with charged hours set to a much higher number than actually needed time and time again? I have read from past mechanics (RobSJ) that when there is warranty work, either the time or the charge out rate is significantly reduced from the shop rate quoted to you or I which is more than likely much closer to actual but what would I know???

___Another solution for those that are afraid of installing any of the Accessories Tim offers is to let a reputable local Body Shop perform the task. Not only should their charge out rate be a bit lower than an Acura dealerships but there costs should be for hours worked. They will however use the same book that Acura probably uses for their estimates so don’t let them get away with murdering you either. After seeing the $50.00 install for Steering wheels, this is the only accessory I believe is not for the DIY’er. Maybe the Tranny and Power Steering cooler for the total hitch package as TheWorm mentioned already as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
TheWorm said:
Steps are $433 from Tim. At $895 installed @ your dealer, that's $462 in labor. Not bad for 1 hour's work. Too bad you're on the East Coast; I'd install your steps for half that :)

Take your bare naked car and RUN AWAY.
Gee, Acura installers should have "Esq." at the ends of their name. ..

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I have no DIY skills whatsovever, but sidesteps and the mudguards are easy. . . .

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the latest news on my end is that the Sales guy from Montclair called me and told me that they are willing to match the prices on accessories as posted on Acura's website. They however refused to match Tim's price. They think that the prices he is quoting are too low......

So after hearing all your valuable opinions, I have decided to install the side steps myself (and save the $193). The rest of the accessories I have in mind involve no installation. :)

Also the salesman said that mud guards are standard on the 2003 X and they were an option on the 2002 and earlier ones. 03 X owners, is that correct ??

Regards,

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
kamalsyal said:
Also the salesman said that mud guards are standard on the 2003 X and they were an option on the 2002 and earlier ones. 03 X owners, is that correct ??

Regards,
Yep!!!:4:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
kamalsyal said:
So the latest news on my end is that the Sales guy from Montclair called me and told me that they are willing to match the prices on accessories as posted on Acura's website. They however refused to match Tim's price. They think that the prices he is quoting are too low......

So after hearing all your valuable opinions, I have decided to install the side steps myself (and save the $193). The rest of the accessories I have in mind involve no installation. :)

Regards,
Congrats on installing the sidesteps. . . yes, I believe they are standard.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Kamalsyal:

___I can only add that the savings by DIY are definitely going to be worth it. If your X dealer doesn’t like Tim’s prices, tough. Acura accessories from another Acura dealer are to low for your Acura dealer? Typical Acura salesmanship by the sounds of it … They are already making ~ $4K on the MDX from you already yet they are still squeezing for more. It is their loss in either case!

___As for the mud guards, yes, the 03’s include them as standard as already mentioned.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with the worm

I had the dealer install the tow package for me. I installed all the other items myself. If you run into any problems do a search and you will find help with installing any accessory for the MDX, if not just post a question.

Enjoy your X

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
kamalsyal said:
... They however refused to match Tim's price. They think that the prices he is quoting are too low......
Tim's prices aren't quotes! They are the flat price and include no cost for tax (unless you are in NY) or shipping! Your dealer just wants to rip you off.

Compound rolling accessories into the cost of your loan over 4 or fives years and you end up paying a lot more than what you may have thought was a deal from your salesman. For me, I'll try to do anything myself first and then only pay someone if I've exhausted all possibilities. This site should be the Number 1 reason for NOT buying from the dealer- way too much info and reasons not to.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Most Dealers Prices On Accessories Are Excessive

Accessory pricing by dealers was/is my major gripe with the MDX buying experience. A few comments on accessories and pricing:

Acura's webs site pricing on accessories includes a good markup for the dealers and includes the average hourly rate on installation. All dealers I checked when I bought my MDX charged more than these prices. They did so because they could. (Sort of like Why does a dog l........)

I think dealers are making a big mistake by charging these excessive markups on these accessories. Instead of trying to develop a customer for life relationship they are merely taking advantage of a supply and demand situation in their advantage. Shame Shame on these dealers.

IMHO the tow package is the only dealer accessory to buy unless the prices come down. I paid (GULP) $900 for this although the price was very high because I wanted it covered (coolers) under the 5/50000 warranty.

Huge savings can be experienced if you buy from Tim and install yourself. If you don't want to install yourself pay a local shop to install and you still will save a considerable amount, even over the Acura web site pricing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts