Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added the following accessories such as rear mud guard, Side steps, BSM, Front Air Deflector, Cargo liner because they have purpose and meaning to my X.

So here's my question, What's the purpose of rear deflector, fender flares and lower trim?:8:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hmmm...

They have no purpose other than to look good, whereas the BSM's have no purpose and they look bad.:22:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The official word on the rear deflector is it keeps rain from the back windshield. I guess it also acts as a spoiler. But honestly, the main reason I go it was it looked cool:cool:, especially body color matched:D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
rliggayu ... purpose and meaning is not always measured in function ... simply being may be purpose/meaning in and of itself ... try taking in a sunset, a rainbow, some art, etc ...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Doesn't the rear deflector help keep the X's rear wheels in contact with the road while driving fast?

All kidding aside, I have found that the rear delector serves little or no purpose other than making the rear look better. Rear window gets plenty wet and dirty. :1:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Purposeful accessories

While not technically an accessory, I am really glad we tinted the front windows. We also put the cargo net and cover to good use.

But in the spirit of this thread I have to say that improving the cars looks/appeal serves an important function. On ours, I think the custom pin-stripes enhances the appearance a lot.

Also on the subject of function vs. looks; black side steps are cheaper than chrome/silver. Yet many pay extra for either the Manik chrome or to powdercoat the OEM:2:

Just because something "tastes good" does not mean it can't have "good taste":21:

·
Registered
715 Posts
msu.....quite right....as the Starfish Tuna was admonished in a long running TV ad..."Chahlie, people don't want tuna wid good taste, dey want tuna dat tastes good.":20:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rear deflector is functional

Read what you will. The fact is that the rear deflector definitely
cuts down on the crap on the rear window and wiper build up.
I have traveled without it and with it. It works.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
rliggayu said:
I added the following accessories such as rear mud guard, Side steps, BSM, Front Air Deflector, Cargo liner because they have purpose and meaning to my X.

So here's my question, What's the purpose of rear deflector, fender flares and lower trim?:8:
Rear deflector for wind noise and cosmetic
fender flares are only cosmetic
Lowe Trim to protect from bumper when parking you can hit car in front without damaging the front bumper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The protection package- wheel locks, cargo tray, and rear mud guards have a good amount of functionality as well as the all weather mats, that's all I got so far. BSM's are on the way when they are in stock.

The next accessory maybe a cargonet or some folding crates to keep the groceries still and to help unload the MDX after coming from Costco/BJ's or some Maniks so the kids can get in and out easier. Some bars in the front to prevent people from clipping the front and a hidden hitch in the back to prevent rear damage and tote around the mountain bikes.

Does the front air deflector actually keep the water from streaking on the hood of the MDX???

Other accessory upgrades that aren't a neccessity, but more of want thing like 5" LCD's in the front headrests and one in the passenger visor or just one 5" LCD in the center console top lid, just flip it up and every one can view it in the back and just hook it up to a portable DVD player located in the center console. Rear backup camera or distance meter with a 2" screen attached to the review mirror. Ahh to dream...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Sandman said:
The protection package- wheel locks, cargo tray, and rear mud guards have a good amount of functionality as well as the all weather mats, that's all I got so far. BSM's are on the way when they are in stock.

The next accessory maybe a cargonet or some folding crates to keep the groceries still and to help unload the MDX after coming from Costco/BJ's or some Maniks so the kids can get in and out easier. Some bars in the front to prevent people from clipping the front and a hidden hitch in the back to prevent rear damage and tote around the mountain bikes.

Does the front air deflector actually keep the water from streaking on the hood of the MDX???

Other accessory upgrades that aren't a neccessity, but more of want thing like 5" LCD's in the front headrests and one in the passenger visor or just one 5" LCD in the center console top lid, just flip it up and every one can view it in the back and just hook it up to a portable DVD player located in the center console. Rear backup camera or distance meter with a 2" screen attached to the review mirror. Ahh to dream...
You also could of bought a saturn and that would of got you from place to place with good functionality. Come on you want more than functionality or you wouldn't of bought the MDX it's luxury and pleasure!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Bronc wrote:

Bronc ... You're the 1st that I've heard say that the rear deflector makes any difference. Our rear window really gets mucked up fast. Can you please try to quantify the improvement? I haven't purchased a rear deflector 'cause I thought it was all show, no go and wasn't excited about the show part. If there is go, then it may be time to contact Tim ... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
87 Posts
I for one feel that the fender flares serve a useful purpose (and look good). Since the fenders are naturally flared and stick out from the body, they are very vulnerable to door dings. My flares (and BSMs) have done a good job of protecting Big Red's finish against doors. Actually, I'm not as worried about parking lots as I am about the Mazda 626 that lives in an 18' garage with the MDX. I have door edge guards on the 626 (and MDX), but I still feel better having the most vulnerable portions of the MDX sheet metal covered in soft vinyl (or whatever it is).

- Conrad

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
All accessories have purpose

Each accessorie has a unique purpose to every individual that puchases a vehicle. It depends on the individual to determine his or her specific need for that accessorie. So in a sense, there is alway a purpose for an accessorie. Therefore there are no unuseful accessories out there. OH god I've become a philospher. Look what this website is doing to me.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

After having put the 12th coat of Zaino on this past weekend, the car was looking very good on Tuesday, shined like a mirror! On Tuesday I had to run an errand that required me to travel about 1/2 hour on the highway. During my trip it rained quite hard, but the sun came out during the return trip. Upon my arrival back home I inspected the MDX only to see that the hood and sides were perfectly clean. The dirt and water had essentially rolled off to retain the shine. The tailgate, however, was a different story. I can only conclude that the tailgate deflector deflects the dirt and water down onto the tailgate!

Good thing it looks good though! :cool:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Purpose!!

Sounds like the rear deflector does have purpose:

More frequent washings!! :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Rear deflector is functional

Bronc said:
I'd have to agree. Same thing happened on a Pathfinder I had. Never realized the difference until the deflector supports broke and I took it off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The primary purpose of the rear window deflector is as an early warning device when you haven't pulled into the garage quite far enough. After hearing it crunch you can toss it away, and then pull forward! But -it saves any damage to the rear bumper!

The secondary purpose is to smack bugs while backing up at high speed. Kind of like a strong back hand! :2:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Visual Purpose

PEOPLE LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS, THAT'S ALL THE PURPOSE YOU NEED TO BUY IT. YOU LIKE THE WAY THE MDX LOOKED SO YOU BOUGHT IT. IT HAS PURPOSE ALSO!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Experience with rear deflector

srpbep,

In reply to your question about actual results with the rear deflector
we just completed a 575 mile trip which included hours of hard rain,
some of it blinding, through mountain passes, high desert and the
Columbia River Gorge. The post Memorial Day traffic was heavy with
big rigs and the spray was flying especially in areas of standing
water. My windshield wipers were often operating at maximum
speed. Not once did I find it necessary to turn on the rear wiper
as the vision was clear. We made several winter trips over this same route with the usual snow and flying muck from other vehicles and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the rear window
stayed relatively clean. This is in sharp contrast to my experience
with a formerly owned mini-van which always had a dirty tail gate
glass.

This is just a subjective opinion but I believe the deflector helps a
great deal. My wife has commented on more than one occasion
that she thinks it is a great improvement. If you install one I hope
you are as satisfied.

Thanks for asking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts