Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just drove home in a gorgeous pearl white/ espresso sh-awd + tech. This is my 3rd MDX, and of course it's better than my 2003 and 2011. I'm looking for roof rails ($387), cross bars ($177), and running boards ($470). In parentheses are the prices I've found. Can i do better? I'll be installing them myself.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I bought my roof rails/crossbars (2014 MDX - s/b the same) on the internet for a decent price but I can't remember what it was since it was 4 years ago and prices might have changed since then. Just make sure you get a price via Amazon or one of the advertising Acura parts dealers here like 'oemacuraparts'. The parts department of your local dealer is likely to jack up the price ridiculously. I created a 'how to' thread on this site on self-installing the roof rack that might be helpful for you.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...nt/55938-2014-mdx-roof-rack-self-install.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
I found roof rails on ebay for $344.50 shipped and just installed them last week. I personally did not like the looks of the cross bars but that seems like a good price. The price you listed for the advance boards seems very cheap. I just ordered the sports - rear step boards on amazon for $519 shipped. I will install them next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found roof rails on ebay for $344.50 shipped and just installed them last week. I personally did not like the looks of the cross bars but that seems like a good price. The price you listed for the advance boards seems very cheap. I just ordered the sports - rear step boards on amazon for $519 shipped. I will install them next week.

Are the "rear step boards" different from "advance running boards", or "sport running boards"?
Thanks,

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it appears that the "rear step boards" are only for the rear passengers to step on, the driver and front passenger can't use them, since the boards don't stick out far enough at the front of the vehicle.
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I suggest you try out any running boards you're considering. Personally, I don't like them and wouldn't put them on my vehicle even if they were free. The reason is that they're 'leg knockers' - where they hit the back of your leg when getting out of the vehicle and can otherwise hit your leg as well. They also provide little in the way of utility on a vehicle like the MDX where the entry/exit height isn't that great - not like some jacked up 4x4 pickup.

Given that, some people like them for kids to get in and out.

This practical aspect might cause you to decide on one style over another - or none at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suggest you try out any running boards you're considering. Personally, I don't like them and wouldn't put them on my vehicle even if they were free. The reason is that they're 'leg knockers' - where they hit the back of your leg when getting out of the vehicle and can otherwise hit your leg as well. They also provide little in the way of utility on a vehicle like the MDX where the entry/exit height isn't that great - not like some jacked up 4x4 pickup.

Given that, some people like them for kids to get in and out.

This practical aspect might cause you to decide on one style over another - or none at all.
Thanks for your advice. For me, I've always had them, because I need to step on the running boards to put skis and snowboards on the roof.

·
Registered
672 Posts
It seems like you have found good prices.

Personally I agree with @mdxstang about the running boards - the demo I tried had them and I really didn't like the way they hit the back of the leg. You might consider the back-only, as the racks are located over the back doors, not the front. Take a look at a photo to see.

As for rails and racks, I dislike the OEM design for several reasons. I made my own solution with a Yakima tower rack system and a little effort. Take a look here: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...oof-racks-better-option-imho.html#post1176362. Also note how far back the crossbars are located - these are in the exact same locations as the OEM crossbars.

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts