Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
my daughter's 2005 TSX is in need of a new AC compressor. can anyone suggest a good shop that isn't going to break the bank. Her normal mechanic who uses all OEM parts quoted 1500.00 she's only going to keep the car for another year so perhaps a Denso Compressor will work fine? she lives in Bellflower Ca. near Long Beach.Any help would be helpful

·
Registered
45 Posts
If she is not going to keep the car I don’t see the point of getting new oem. I remember getting a used oem compressor from a wrecking yard and getting a ac shop to install it and recharge for under $400 all in. They took my old compressor as a core as well.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
the issue may be the entire system is contaminated and needs parts replaced and cleaned. If this is not done the metal shavings and other contaminants in the system will cause the new compressor to fail in short order. Usually will need new drier and a few other elements. Rockauto has a few kits for around $250 that your mechanic can install probably without a warranty.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Is her normal mechanic (that recommended a new compressor) from an Import Auto Repair Shop or from a shop that sells tires & oil changes?
Take it to a shop that has "Import" in their name, because those guys are familiar with Honda/Acura magnetos and compressor clutch shimming, which takes about 2 - 3 hours of labor. Especially if you're selling the car in a few months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My regular go to shop for repairs is Gene’s Auto Repair in the Irvine Auto Center, and I highly recommend him. If that is too far then try ACA Automotive in Long Beach. I had a good experience with them. That checked my intermittent Odyssey AC which wasn’t getting cold. They diagnosed a bad relay and gave me the choice of paying their tech to replace it for $$ or just letting me do it for $ which I did (I let them know I could perform repairs when I dropped off the van). The relay was about $20 at Pep Boys, and the relay turned out to be a Honda repackaged branded part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts