Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2002 MDX and my AC and Fan stopped working at the same time. I took it in and had the Freon recharged. Still my front fan does not blow but my rear fan does. Cool air is non existent. One guy told me that it was the relay switch on the line. He said when he jumped the switch that the AC turned on. But that does not explain why the fan does not blow. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If compressor is not running, no cooling can occur. On all systems I've ever seen, the compressor will not run if the front blower is not working.

I would suspect either your front fan (blower) has failed, fuse #50 is blown, blower relay (underhood fuse box) has failed, or blower power transistor has failed.

You will need a shop manual to run these possibilities down and determine the fault. I got my electronic manual on ebay for about $15. Hopefully not the blower motor as this is very difficult to replace.

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, i am pretty sure this is the problem but i am having problems disconnecting the AC Transistor Assembly. I cannot get to the top screw. I was able to remove the side panel touching the floor board but it looks like i will have to remove the top panel of the center piece that divides the Drivers and passengers seat. I have no clue how to do that or if i need to. Do you know? Thanks alot for your help thus far.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've had good luck w/ a 6" flex extension and screwdriver tip insert on a ratchet driver. This will allow access where a screwdriver won't, but you need 3-4 inches of rear clearance for the flex extension to make a 90 deg. bend. It will snake through wires nicely also.

I'll look at my shop manual tonight and see if there's any guidance.

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That worked perfect. So i bought a new assembly from the dealer and plugged it in without putting it back into its proper place and it worked fine for about 15 minutes then it stopped again. i went to see if the plug got loose and touched it and it was very hot. I let it cool down and tried it again with no luck. It is not working again.

When it is put in its proper place is there some kind of cooling that happens and i just blew another one by letting it get so hot? Or do i have another problem.

Also can i just replace the resistor in the assembly as shown in the pictures and if so what kind of resistor do i need? Or am i better off buying the assembly again.

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
If you bought the whole assembly, the resistor is only a small portion of this. Whatever caused it to blow in the first place is still causing it. I dont recall anyone mentioning why the front dies. The rear has a screen that clogs with dust. Have you changed your cabin filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have recently changed the cabin filter.

i bought a 10 amp fuse and followed the instructions to replace the thermal fuse on the resistor assembly. Now my blower and my AC is working but the blower only blows at one speed - fast - and does not respond to the controls. The fuse i replaced was a 2 amp fuse and i replaced it with a 10 amp fuse. Could that be the problem?

i am getting close - thanks for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the new transistor assembly and it stopped working. Most likely because i did not put it back in its place. It sits right under a fan that blows on it to keep it cool. So it probably overheated which blew the thermal fuse.

So i put a new thermal fuse on both the old and new transistor assembly and plugged them in. They both caused the fan to start blowing but only at one speed and there is no way to turn it off.

Because both assemblies work the same way i assume the assembly is not the problem. Is there something else i can check?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The purpose of the power transistor is to reduce voltage (variable resistance) to the blower and control speed. That's why it gets so hot as it must dissapate a lot of energy. If blower is running wide open, this probabaly eliminates the power transistor. That's based on my read of shop manual test of power transistor.

You need a shop manual to investigate w/o professional help. You can find a good electronic manual on ebay for <$20. That's what I bought and it's apparently OEM manual.

The 10A fuse should be replacec w/ 2A fuse unless you want to repair a wiring harness from overheating/melting or worst case, a bad car fire.

good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
...Still my front fan does not blow but my rear fan does. Cool air is non existent...
Dropped my '04 off at the dealer yesterday (just over 82,000 miles) for the exact same problem. They told me I need a new blower motor, resistor, and head unit. They also found two bad motor mounts and a bad TPMS unit. Best part...it's all covered by my AcuraCare policy. Should have the car back today.

LL

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I have an 2002 MDX and my AC and Fan stopped working at the same time. I took it in and had the Freon recharged. Still my front fan does not blow but my rear fan does. Cool air is non existent. One guy told me that it was the relay switch on the line. He said when he jumped the switch that the AC turned on. But that does not explain why the fan does not blow. Thanks for any suggestions.
You took the vehicle to the shop and it came back only partly repaired.

What did you pay them to do? Did you go back to the shop?

G

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the exact same situation today, 04mdx over 82k miles, fan stopped working, unfortunately out of warranty, I can replace my own blower motor and resistor, but what is a head unit?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dropped my '04 off at the dealer yesterday (just over 82,000 miles) for the exact same problem. They told me I need a new blower motor, resistor, and head unit. They also found two bad motor mounts and a bad TPMS unit. Best part...it's all covered by my AcuraCare policy. Should have the car back today.

LL

I am in exact same situation, but out of warranty alread. I can replace my blower motor, and resistor, but what is the head unit and is that connected the fan not working?

Thanks,

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure what the "head unit" is as that's what the service rep told me but from the receipt, the parts that were replaced were:

6181A7 - Climate Control Unit
612130 - Blower resistor/transistor

LL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Cant find any info on those part # though.
I replaced just the thermal fuse on the transistor assembly and the fan worked, but it blows at full blast all the time and have no controls over it. Cant even turn it off, so i tried to drive the car with it just like that, but AC compressor only clicks on Full Auto setting, then clicks off after like 5 seconds. There is heat when temp setting is raised but no cooling. I am afraid that I might have done more damage to the car. I unhooked the harness right now and just ordered the Transistor Assembly (resistor). Hopefully this is the only thing that is not working. At least I know that the blower motor is functional. I'll post an update as soon as I replaced the part.

Thanks,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally got a New Transistor unit. Replaced the original one and the blower worked. Good thing that that was the only part that needs replacement.

Now I wonder If there is a way to test the transistor (K2313) and replace it. From the forums we know we can replace the thermal fuse but in only jumps the 12v to the motor so its always on at full blast.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Matt350
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing