Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Hot Friday everyone

I have an 2004 MDX. All of a sudden I am not getting cold air from either my front AC or rear (even when the rear is on)

THe blower works in both but only blows hot Florida breeze. The AC cooling fans come on and stays on (is that normal?) However, I am not hearing the clutch engaging. The clutch however is not seized up as I am able to turn it with my hand

I checked the MG Clutch fuse under the hood fuse box and its in tact . I also swapped the MG Clutch relay with the Lighting 2 relay (which is the same specification) and that did not solve the problem

Finally I checked the Heater control/AC Clutch Relay Cooling Fan Fuse in the driver side fuse box and it also seems to be in tact.

The only clue I have so far is that the compressor clutch does not seem to be engaging and the cooling fans seem to stay on for long periods

Any ideas?

·
Registered
108 Posts
How many miles? Had my 04 MDX A/c compressor replaced at 100k. Oil can get in and burn up the clutch.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Since you've checked AC relay and fuse, check to confirm 12V is arriving at compressor clutch connector. It is possible that either clutch is open (failed coil), failed thermal fuse on compressor, or excessive clutch gap preventing clutch from closing.

If 12V present, check system static pressure when cold. Pressure should be ~ equal in psi to air temp in degF. If much lower than air temp, then low charge is likely.

good luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pressure was good and I got current at the AC. My mechanic concluded its the clutch that is dead. I just went ahead and changed the whole the compressor unit so I could get some warranty on it.

Thanks for all your help

Sincerely

·
Registered
23 Posts
So this just happened to me, AC was working for the past few weeks but on and off....this week it stopped working. Shop told me relay looks fine, but clutch is not engaging. He recommended changing the compressor and clutch....is this normal? Can't the clutch just be changed or is the issue more likely with the compressor?

Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So this just happened to me, AC was working for the past few weeks but on and off....this week it stopped working. Shop told me relay looks fine, but clutch is not engaging. He recommended changing the compressor and clutch....is this normal? Can't the clutch just be changed or is the issue more likely with the compressor?

My mechanic pointed out that he would have to take off the compressor anyway to put the new clutch on. He also pointed out that he has only had mixed success with changing just the clutch. That was all I needed to hear.

I went with a new compressor

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having said that, I noticed that with my new compressor installed, I need to crank my ac all the way down to the lowest temp (60 degrees) for it to get cold.

Before I believe was able to achieve comparable temperatures at 67 - 71 degrees.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Clutch can be replaced w/o removing compressor from underneath the vehicle. Most shops don't want to do this because they sell more parts/labor to replace and justify as "reducing risk of come-back claim",... which has some merit. Usually only Diy'rs will undertake.

good luck

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Having said that, I noticed that with my new compressor installed, I need to crank my ac all the way down to the lowest temp (60 degrees) for it to get cold.

Before I believe was able to achieve comparable temperatures at 67 - 71 degrees.

any thoughts?
At lowest setting w/ recirculate on, you should get temps directly from vents at least 40F. If much higher, you may be undercharged, very dirty condensor, or possible air mix motor issue (warming cooled air).

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info Texas, looks like they are replacing the compressor coil, stator and clutch along with the relay...hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For future reference, sometimes when the A/C compressor clutch won't pull in (even with 12 volts applied across the coil), or it's intermittent, it can be because the clutch material has worn to the point where the gap in the clutch is too large for the coil to pull the clutch plate in. In that case, you can measure, calculate, and change around shims until you have the gap back to spec. You can usually test this by turning on the A/C and bumping the clutch with a hammer handle (or other similar tool). If the problem is just that the gap is too large, it'll engage with a little help, and your A/C will work (until the compressor cycles off again, of course).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts