Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 mdx just starting having problems with the AC. The blower works fine and cold, but not as cold as it was, air comes out. But at tomes, eventhough its still blowing cold air, you can feel the humidity increase in the car and I know it just is working, but to a lesser degree. I searched the forums and came across the compressor clutch relay, but if this was the problem wouldnt the battery be drained and when the clutch was not engaged, I wouldnt expect any cold air, but ot still seems to deliver cold, but again, not as cold as before. The only thing that I can think that might remotely be linked to thisis that a couple of days before this began, we heard a sort of whirring/grinding for maybe 45 seconds, seemed to be coming from engine bay. Bringing it to dealer in couple of days and just wanted to get your thoughts, before being told I need new compressor, etc. Since I am getting some cold air all the time does this mean the compressor is ok? Other weird thing is, when you start to feel the humidity increase in cabin and you switch the control on for the Rear blower, the rear fan shuts off completely-??? At first thought it might be the thermal fuse, but when you shut the back unit off it resumes blowing.
Could it be that the compressor clutch is not fully engaging for some reason?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It could be a number of things but I've found that when the A/C is working, but just not as well as it should, that it is usually low on refrigerant (R134). I had this same problem on my wife's 2004 TL (and son's 2004 Sierra) earlier this summer. It turned out that both were leaking slowly from the low-pressure Schrader valve.

My suggestion -

Get an R134 refill canister with valve and gauge from WalMart/Pep Boys/etc.
Follow instructions to add R134 (note - I have had some gauges say the system was full when this was not the case - use your discretion and judgement here)
Remove and listen/look very closely at the valve - you may see/hear a very slight hiss of R134 leaking out

If this is the case

Buy this or similar tool - it will let you change out the Shrader valve without losing the R134 already in the system
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KITSMI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Buy a new Schrader valve similar to the following (these are readily available at auto parts stores) - https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-26783-Conditioning-System/dp/B0023TQEFQ/ref=pd_sim_263_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=41SFfTXh-XL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=H01DA43JMR4QE40C0MPD
Change out the valve and enjoy the cold air

Good luck

·
Registered
240 Posts
+1 to what jwchapman said: when I experienced similar conditions to what you described, it was down to low refrigerant, which was due to a leaky schrader valve. A local mechanic might still be running a "summer special" where they'll top off your refrigerant and check for leaks; you can usually find them going for less than $100.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts