Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Have a 2WD '14 with ADV and Ent. packages. Purchased certified 2 months ago at 6,400 miles. about 2/3 weeks ago noticed that at a stop with the AC on the RPM drops to about 550/600 and I can feel a vibration through the seat when the compressor engages. Dealer did not pay much attention- was told it is normal. Anyone else experiencing this? Driving me crazy!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey guys,

Have a 2WD '14 with ADV and Ent. packages. Purchased certified 2 months ago at 6,400 miles. about 2/3 weeks ago noticed that at a stop with the AC on the RPM drops to about 550/600 and I can feel a vibration through the seat when the compressor engages. Dealer did not pay much attention- was told it is normal. Anyone else experiencing this? Driving me crazy!
Have them check the engine mounts. They may need to be recalibrated.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There's a recall for loose or breaking/missing A/C mounting bolts. Have the dealer check this. A loose or missing bolt would likely cause vibration before the whole thing falls off - i.e. do this sooner rather than later since you're experiencing a vibration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The recall was completed before the purchase. I have to ask about them to check the mounts. The interesting thing is that when in P and the idle rises to about 700 I do not get the vibration. It pops up when in D and then the idle begins to drop to 550-600 that I get it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did this ever get resolved, I am having the same issue with a hunting idle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the long delay in replying MikeG911. No not yet resolved. Service advisor stated that it was operating as designed and that other MDX on the lot were doing the same thing. I will ask again at next service visit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry for the long delay in replying MikeG911. No not yet resolved. Service advisor stated that it was operating as designed and that other MDX on the lot were doing the same thing. I will ask again at next service visit.
a cliche' that echos in most dealerships, no?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2016 Tech package 2WD that does the same thing. I started a "rough idle" thread and through research found this has been a complaint but Acura Customer Relations and my local dealer tell me this is normal. O.K., then why doesn't this happen to other Acura's I've ridden in (RDX and TLX with the same 3.5 engine)? I did file a complaint and have an open ticket with Acura and I suggest you do the same. I'm not confident Acura will come up with a fix for this. The factory rep for this area told the service manager they've received several complaints about this. None of my other cars I've had over the years have exhibited this trait. I'm starting to regret coming from Lexus to Acura. One other member traded his MDX for a CX90 when they did not come up with a solution. He was fed up. As you said, this "normal trait" is very annoying. We feel the vibration in the floor, front seats and steering wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, the Acura answer
As I said, I called Acura and opened a ticket with customer relations. I sent the manager of Cardinale Way Acura an email to bring the vehicle back in for another inspection. I received a call from customer relations advising they refuse to re-inspect the vehicle because they did call Acura and spoke with engineers (apparently) and they determined the idle drop and vibration is normal, although when I ask why this does not happen on other models with the same engine they have a blank stare-well I should say they say you can't compare other models-they are not an MDX. I've never had this happen with a variety of vehicles I've driven (owned and company) in the past 25 years.The rep for customer relations said I could try another dealer. This is my last Acura.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am on my 8th Acura and always get an Advance model. I have had a couple of issues with this 2015 as I did with a 2010 I had. Like you with your problem they just flat blew me off about the Fuel pump noise and Acura Customer Relations could have cared less. Mine are company leases and mine is up in about 6 months and I have already put in a request for a different SUV and so has another guy in my company. This isn't the first issue I have had this problem with Acura and the bad attitude. I always get the same answer just like you got. Why do I want to do business with a company who acts like this. My dealer has been pretty good to me but leaving me to fend for myself with Customer Relations was a bad idea. They had a young sound fellow call me and he acted like he had never heard of my problem and told me if they say it is normal then there was nothing else to talk about. Now they supposedly have issued a TSB for the problem but of course they have let me live with the noise for 2 years getting more upset everyday while I drive it. Good luck and I wish you could have found this out before you spent your money.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How about taking it to an independent shop and just ask them to crank up the idle to 700 RPM? I can't imagine them charging much.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Might be hard to do. Idle is controlled by computer. No longer turning up the idle screw like the old days.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I fixed it. I traded it for a Porsche Macan. Bye bye MDX
A really awesome but completely different SUV - enjoy!

Im starting to worry I will get some sort of issue at some point that will force my hand to replace the MDX, but so far I'm very happy. Just going to keep my fingers crossed I dont develop some issue these cheapo dealers wont look into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Rluna 15,

I have experienced the same issue and have gone through all troubles other users have mentioned in this thread. I like the rest of the group DO NOT believe its normal and basically a design flaw with this model that Honda doesn't want to fix. This is the only car I have ever owned that does this and for a $55K plus cost is unacceptable. I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking:

1.) Did you ever get it fixed?
2,) Has the vibration gotten worse?
3.) Being its a computer controlled idle, have you found a shop that may be able to resolve this? If so, how did they do it.

Anyways, the vibrations annoys the crap out of me and I'm just over Honda. For what's it worth, I contacted a reputable lemon law lawyer because I have had what I believe are "lemon law" issues and he basically told me over the past 10 years, he has seen more honda lemon law cases versus any other Asian Import brand.

Thanks again for the post!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts