Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was informed recently that AC compressor would have to be replaced in my 2006 mdx. Estimated repair costs are around $1200 to replace compressor, condenser, receiver drier and recharge.

I am at 163,000 miles currently and I am seeking feedback on whether it's worthwhile to invest in the repairs or to move on to another vehicle. I have heard that the Honda transmissions of this generation are destined to fail at some point. I had the PCM recall done years ago and have had no indications of transmission trouble at all with this car. Timing belt was replaced at 100,000 miles also.

Welcoming any and all opinions on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Have you kept up on maintenance? If you’ve serviced the transmission regularly then I wouldn’t worry too much. If it was going to give you problems, it likely would have done so, already.

If you’re okay keeping the car another couple years, I’d fix the A/C. It’s considerably less expensive than buying a new ride.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Before getting into keep or sell, sounds like they suspect a leaking compressor or compressor clutch. Whats the symptoms that the mech said it needs all those AC parts? Did they run any tests? Not saying your mech is over selling but sometimes AC not working as in doesn’t blow cold air can just be needing a freon recharge, bad clutch, bad diverter valve, or mix motor. Asking if those were ruled out.

Might need to trouble shoot more first but did you or the mech try a recharge. You can get a DIY kit for $35. If that doesn’t fix it, youd be out an extra $35 but would save a lot if it worked. A mech might charge $120 for a leak test and recharge.

Those parts for DIY at a place like rockauto would probably run <$500 but its not a typical DIY job. $1200 seems OK.

If the rest of your X is in good shape and you like it, its probably worth doing. If something else has your eye or you dont trust it, maybe not. 160K miles is really nothing on these cars if its been cared for with recommended maintenance, paint/interior care, and driving. I’m expecting 250K-300K from our 2006.

If you get a chance, let us know which ever way you go.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
FWIW, replacing that much is typically the case when a compressor fails in such a way that it spews metal bits into the system. The condenser and the driver (and also expansion valve) have small enough openings to be easily clogged up with all the stuff.

OTOH, if the compressor died in such a way that it didn't create shrapnel (like if the clutch failed, or a seal started leaking), the more draconian efforts aren't necessary (usually).

I vote with p07r0457 on "keep". If you went to sell it now, you'd take a bath (coming into summer, particularly), almost certainly you'd end up selling it for more than $1200 less than you could with the A/C fixed. And then you end up with another vehicle with unknown issues just waiting to bite you in the checkbook. Face it - our MDXs are probably about as reliable overall as anything out there. Yeah, they have a few niggling problems that crop up, but in general they just keep on working. Just keep the fluids - particularly the transmission fluids - changed on schedule, and chances are you'll be driving it 100,000 miles from now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And one more question

The transmission has never been an issue. But my records show the transmission fluid hasn't been drained and filled for a long time. 163,000 mi. now & records show that it hasn't been changed for 65K miles at least.

Should I change transmission fluid or not? I've seen and heard recommendations both ways.

Thanks, and I welcome any input.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Asmithx, yes. Change the transmission fluid. There's an urban myth with a kernel of truth about the danger of tranny fluid changes, but that's due to the "power flush" systems that some shops use. Those have been known to disturb the sludge safely sleeping in the far corners of your transmission, and get it spread around all the moving bits inside your tranny, where they cause problems.

Doing a drain-and-fill (about three quarts each time) is not going to hurt anything, and is the best thing you can do - bar none - to keep your MDX on the road long-term. It's easier than changing your oil. Your MDX is far past due for a change, though I wouldn't get my knickers in too tight a twist over it, but would just do at least a couple D-N-Fs over a couple weeks. New fluid is cheap, new trannies or cars aren't. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts