Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just noticed today when the AC compressor is running I hear the clicking/ticking sound while the compressor motor is running or spinning . It is not the the sound of clicking when the compressor is turning on. Something loose or sound like it going bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
i just noticed today when the AC compressor is running I hear the clicking/ticking sound while the compressor motor is running or spinning . It is not the the sound of clicking when the compressor is turning on. Something loose or sound like it going bad?

Is the noise coming from under the glove compartment area? Put your car in park, with the AC on full, and reach up under there and feel around. When that happened on my 2005, I was able to target the clicking/vibration to the cable attached to the blower motor, which had to be replaced in my case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is not what I am having. The clicking/Ticking sound get more frequent as I set the AC to LOW and fan speed to MAX. The sound comes from the compressor area. I do feel very cold air came out. I have to look service manual how does the condenser and compressor work. It could be the condenser is getting on it way out?

How hard is to replace the condenser and compressor or either one goes bad or both?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a video with sound. The A/C compressor only make noise when the A/C is on and if the Fan is set to MAX while the A/C is on the noise is getting louder. Any idea?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Good video. Yes, it is normal for the compressor to cycle on-and-off a lot under the conditions you state. No, it is not a normal noise. Before you go crazy pulling stuff apart, check the gap on the compressor clutch and see if it is in spec. Also, check for a worn bearing. Should be a bunch of youtube videos on the process.

This gives you an idea, but keep in mind that Eric is not half the mechanic he thinks he is. Perfect example in video: He does not measure the clutch gap when re-installing a new part.

https://youtu.be/j7yflp1WFrU

Proper procedure for measuring clutch gap here:

https://youtu.be/wVQxRXUUUb4

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, bluepill! As a matter of fact I just finished watching Eric’s video before I saw your post. I think and hope my problem is very similar to the Eric’s video. I am going to watch the 2nd video next. I checked the price on the whole ac compressor on oemacuraparts.com is around $680 and the clutch/pulley is $200. And it is much easier to replace just the clutch/pulley than the whole compressor. I have no idea why it is making these noise all the sudden. The reason I found out today because it is warm here in ILLINOIS and I decided to turn on the AC and got out of the car and heard this noise. Did I messed up the the AC clutch while I was working on removing the oil pump? Thanks again.

Which worn bearing are you talking about? The bearing inside the clutch assembly or the drive belt tensioner ?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why it only make that rattle sound when the temperature is set to below 60 deg F or to LO? Is it because compressor is operating at maximum load and caused the associated components like the drive belt pulley to rattle?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BluePill, does this tensioner pulley sounds abnormal or normal? The pulley making that sound when I moved it side to side and it's sound normal when I spinned it.

Here is video:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved. The spring inside the tensioner assembly is rattling under load. Sprayed WD40 inside the cavity fix the rattling noise

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to resurrect such an old post. I have this ticking problem too. My dealership said the noise is coming from inside the compressor and it needs to be replaced. They quoted me like $1500 to fix (or $1100 if I use an off brand unit) (after they already just replaced the main belt, etc for $1100 2 months ago). Does this sound legit?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
sorry to resurrect such an old post. I have this ticking problem too. My dealership said the noise is coming from inside the compressor and it needs to be replaced. They quoted me like $1500 to fix (or $1100 if I use an off brand unit). Does this sound legit?
1) Acura dealership cannot replace the compressor using an off brand unit, they can only use OEM parts.
2) The price sounds about right, a new OEM compressor from a dealership will be about $900 tax in, plus the labour, plus recharging the system.

after they already just replaced the main belt, etc for $1100 2 months ago).
By the main belt I assume you are talking about the Timing Belt (judging from the cost). If so, this has zero correlation to the compressor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the response!

Yes, the service was...
Pistons and Rings (the oil consumption thing)
Timing belt, water pump, drive belt
PCV valve and hose/oil pump seals

Maybe they were going to source the compressor from someone else? He mentioned roughly $300 in savings but I dont recall exactly what it was. He had also mentioned being a bit concerned that the AC unit might seize up, and cause all kinds of other problems. That part worries me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Maybe they were going to source the compressor from someone else? He mentioned roughly $300 in savings but I dont recall exactly what it was. He had also mentioned being a bit concerned that the AC unit might seize up, and cause all kinds of other problems. That part worries me.
Yeah, he's not wrong about problems if it seizes.

If you are set for the compressor replacement, you can get the OEM Denso compressor off Rockauto for a fraction of the price (about USD 300, and it's the same compressor for the entire 2nd gen, if my understanding is correct):

And then get a trustworthy shop to replace it and recharge it for whatever the cost will be. It is actually not that difficult to replace (it's held with just four bolts), the only thing preventing you from DIYing it is the actual refrigerant in the system. You need a special machine to evacuate the existing refrigerant and to recharge it with proper refrigerant after replacement. It should not cost that much. It's may be 2-3 hours of work, so multiply to whatever hour rate there is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yesterday, I drove my MDX to a park. When I stopped my car, I heard a rubbing, screeching noise coming from the outside of my car, Then I could smell burning smell coming from the A/C, Then A/C did not blow cold air anymore. I guessed my compressor just died. Tomorrow, I will take my x to a dealer then, I'll report back. It looks like it is going to be an expensive repair :(...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yesterday, I drove my MDX to a park. When I stopped my car, I heard a rubbing, screeching noise coming from the outside of my car, Then I could smell burning smell coming from the A/C, Then A/C did not blow cold air anymore. I guessed my compressor just died. Tomorrow, I will take my x to a dealer then, I'll report back. It looks like it is going to be an expensive repair :(...
Your dealer can fix anything if you don’t mind paying a premium for a service.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
denso a/c compressors are about $200 on rockauto and don't forget the 5% off coupon. Get a local ac shop to install it. Just be sure to order some PAG oil too for the a/c compressor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts