Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I don't know how to better describe this, but I am open to suggestions, for searchability's sake.)

2010 MDX

When my AC is on and I am driving (in motion) if I turn the wheel far enough to either side, say, a sharply curved exit ramp, the AC seems to blow harder and possibly also colder - although that's more difficult to discern. When the wheel returns to center, the AC returns to normal. There are also some fluttering noises associated with this happening.

I have not been able to replicate this while parked.

Anyone else experienced anything vaguely similar?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
2010 has Electric Power Steering so perhaps at speed the EPS does not consume as much Amps as when is trying to turn the wheels at low speed? Just guessing here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MDX (w/navi?) has "GPS assisted" AC, i.e., it detects how the vehicle is positioned relative to the sun at the time of day and adjusts AC to blow colder/more on the side facing the sun... so you may be seeing that.
But, if you are sure it's not that....

...2010 most definitely does not have electric power steering. What's happening is, turning the steering wheel puts additional load on the power steering pump and, in turn, the engine, so ECU compensates by raising engine RPMs back to normal. Since the AC compressor is on the same accessory belt as the power steering pump, raising the RPMs also gives additional boost to the AC compressor. This is normal but to a degree and should not be that noticeable in terms of AC performance... If this has not been done recently I advise flushing the power steering with fresh Honda fluid and replacing the filter (reservoir); if you can DIY it won't cost much; both fluid and reservoir are cheap.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
When the MDX got EPS?
EDIT: NVM just got the answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts