Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post for me on this site. I've used this forum for a ton of info and the topics have saved my sanity on a number of issues, but I've encountered something that seems odd for my 2007 tech package.

I've had the trifecta code appear for ABS, SHAWD and VSA. In the past, I would identify which abs sensor was failing, drill it out and insert the new one and clear the code. However, when I had this appear recently (front left sensor), I drilled it out, inserted a new Honda sensor and now my ABS engages while I'm driving around the neighborhood to test drive. The codes for ABS/SHAWB/VSA have cleared, but I've got a grinding/abs engagement on that wheel only. I wondered if I was a little too aggressive on the drill-out and damaged the hub/magnetic strip, so I ordered a new hub (along with another sensor in case of a bad sensor) all Honda OEM. I've pulled/replaced the old hub - good times - and still have the grinding. When I disconnect the sensor and drive it around I get the trifecta codes but the ABS engagement/grinding no longer occurs.

What am I missing here? I've also pulled the ABS fuse and did a disconnect on the battery in case it needed some form of a reset, but no luck.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Possible that instead of a bad sensor you had/still have a wiring/connector issue?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
First post for me on this site. I've used this forum for a ton of info and the topics have saved my sanity on a number of issues, but I've encountered something that seems odd for my 2007 tech package.

I've had the trifecta code appear for ABS, SHAWD and VSA. In the past, I would identify which abs sensor was failing, drill it out and insert the new one and clear the code. However, when I had this appear recently (front left sensor), I drilled it out, inserted a new Honda sensor and now my ABS engages while I'm driving around the neighborhood to test drive. The codes for ABS/SHAWB/VSA have cleared, but I've got a grinding/abs engagement on that wheel only. I wondered if I was a little too aggressive on the drill-out and damaged the hub/magnetic strip, so I ordered a new hub (along with another sensor in case of a bad sensor) all Honda OEM. I've pulled/replaced the old hub - good times - and still have the grinding. When I disconnect the sensor and drive it around I get the trifecta codes but the ABS engagement/grinding no longer occurs.

What am I missing here? I've also pulled the ABS fuse and did a disconnect on the battery in case it needed some form of a reset, but no luck.
Maybe that tire is more worn out or much better than the other tires? If you change wheels, will the code travel with the wheel? I have no good answer, so give you a wild guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe that tire is more worn out or much better than the other tires? If you change wheels, will the code travel with the wheel? I have no good answer, so give you a wild guess.
I'm willing to try anything at this point. Appreciate both responses. The car is due for new tires, so I thought I'd have these put on and maybe drive around without the sensor connected to see if this makes any difference too. I'll also shoot some contact cleaner to see if I have some dirt or grease on the contact points of the connections. The journey continues...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Read this:

Most likely, as suggested above, the harness/connector etc might need attention. If not, check your alignment. Maybe alignment is off.

Similarly this:

In fact, since only one wheel is being braked by computer, your title should be ESC/VSA engages with new sensor. ABS should be on all four wheels.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Another guess is that since that wheel has new hub and new sensors and all other wheels have old hubs and sensors, maybe rust etc affected those three old ones so the computer reads higher or lower speed from those three old ones than the new/perfect one? In that event, maybe also clean the other three sensors?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
get a diagnostic reader or buy a copy of HDS from ebay for around $125. Read the outputs on the sensor and see what it could be. What was the code you got? When is the last time you changed out the brake fluid and bled the brakes? There was a TSB for the ABS/VSA pump letting air into the system causing issues if I remember correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts