Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

My question actually has 2 parts...

1) Is there any reasons (aside from RES and 20 hp) why a 01 or 02 touring mdx is not as good as the new 03?
--I have been looking on ebay at the ones for sale (small town not many local for sale) and the pictures of the 01s and 02s look just like the 03 we test drove. I just don't think that right now the 42.5 fits well in our budget, but a slightly used one in the mid-high 20s would fit better....
--Just looking for opinions as to why I should be "scared" of buying a used mdx versus a new 03...

2) as the subject states, I have been looking at the models on ebay. The selection of mdx's is not very good for hundreds of miles around my town. Any opinions about purchasing a car using this medium?

Any feedback/opinions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm trying my hardest to trade my Dodge Avenger in for an X! :)

Thank in Advance,
Mark

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
In regards from buying from ebay, I'd always ask for the Carfax report, hire a mechanic in that area to inspect the vehicle and deal with reputable sellers.

Also, if you don't mind spending a ticket to fly to the vehicle, you'd save plenty of $ on the shipping.

Good luck!

·
3,109 Posts
The 2003s are significantly quieter inside.
Do 01/02s have VSA?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I recently test drove an 03 MDX and I did not think that it was that much quieter than my 01. I was thinking of trading up to an 03 but I think that I will wait until the new styled MDX hits the market maybe in 2005 or 2006??

·
Registered
923 Posts
Why don't you call some dealerships in neighboring states? I think that is the better alternative to buying from eBay... Buying cars from the internet...:1: ... shady...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Be careful

There is nothing wrong with buying a used '01 or '02 MDX instead of '03 model. However, I would be hesitant to bid on any used car, including the MDX, over the internet without seeing/test driving it first.

A better alternative would be to find a used MDX from a private seller either in your area or another area, like a neighboring town or even neighboring state, that you are able to visit to examine and test drive the MDX prior to making a final purchase decision.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Wait... lol ur right... my bad... i read the post once very quickly, sorry mgmdx! But, that is what i meant to say! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Some specifics on why ebay is NOT a good place to buy an MDX...

1) Gray market -- lots of vehicles on ebay are meant for Canada. Screwy support warranty issues would mean even comparing vehicles with similar mileage you might still be out of luck with regard to recalls...

2) Condition -- even the most ardent supporter of the MDX will admit that there have been issues with things minor (ticking throttle cable bracjet, creased seats) and major ( admittedly limited number of water pumps) that are difficult to determine without a thorough inspection. When you have the collective wisdom of this forum on your side you can do a very thorough check IN PERSON, but over the net???

3) Price -- While certain 'collectible" vehicles do fetch a handsome price on ebay, MOST go for cheap. There is a simple reason, if these were "cream puffs" they'd be snatched up LOCALLY. Most "normal" vehicles on ebay are not the kind that dealers would be eager to have on the used lot of their new car store...

4) Scam factor -- ugly truth is that if you end up doing a deal on ebay, it will still be for well over $20K. That is more than enough money to motivate somebody into being less than honest. Higher risk than from a "non-virtual" dealer? YOU BET. Even the most lax states have significant fines for tampering with odometers and such. Odds of getting "turned in" by somebody 5 states away, well you figure it out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts