Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2016 MDX Adv/Ent Sh-AWD 44,257mies

A16 Service for $240 - Is this really necessary as I'm thinking about getting an oil change only? At last OC, I paid $200 for B1 service which I thought was a wa$te.

Rear Differential Fluid Exchange (2Qts. AWD-Fld)
6Cyl. 0W-20 (6Qts.) Oil & Filter Change
Inspect Front & Rear Brakes
Inspect Parking Brake Adjustment
Inspect Tie Rod Ends, Steering Gear & Boots
Inspect Suspension Components
Inspect Driveshaft Boots
Inspect Brake Hoses & Lines (Including ABS)
Check All Fluids (Level, Condition & For Leaks).
Inspect Exhaust System
Inspect Fuel Lines & Connections

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Your post is a bit confusing... Are you saying you replaced the rear diff fluid, last time? The $200 price tag would make me think you possibly did -- although it is not part of a B1 service. If so, how many miles ago was that? Do you do any towing or mountainous driving?

Normally an A1/B1 service would cost between $50-120, depending on the dealer.

An A16/B16 I'd expect to cost between $140 - 290, depending on the dealer.

If you didn't do the rear diff fluid, last A/B service, then I would absolutely do it, this time.

If you did do it last time, then whether you do it now depends on how you're using the vehicle. If you're towing or driving a lot in mountainous terrain, then I'd do the rear diff, as well. If you don't fall in this category you could defer the service... But you're then in the position where the MID will no longer accurately advise when to perform this service. You can ask the dealer if they'll connect their computer to your MDX and correct the MID history.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me clarify. Last time, I got the following done:

B1
Rotate 4 Wheels
Service Front & Rear Brakes
Inspect Driveshaft Boots
Inspect Exhaust System

A16 would be for
Inspect Driveshaft Boots
Inspect Exhaust System

A16 would cost me $240. Would it all be necessary and is that reasonable costwise?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
A16 would cost me $240. Would it all be necessary and is that reasonable costwise?
It is necessary.

$240 is a reasonable/average cost for a dealer doing the labor.

You can DIY for about $80 in parts.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I can't imagine buying any car and not following the suggested maintenance. Usually it is minimal because the manufacturer knows people consider maintenance costs when buying a car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
An A16 also includes a 4 wheel tire rotation as well on top.
Gotta remember At $240 your getting a
car wash
vacuum
Coffee
Bagels/Snacks
Loaner car
Valet service
Maintenance records
Dealer technicians who are paid well
Dealer 100% backed insurance if something happens to you car like scratches, rim damage, door dings, stolen items, or worst...engine damage?
Do it yourself or have some idiot local shop $8hr tech do it and these things happen?your **** out of luck and paying out of pocket.
Oh and I forgot
6qt oil/filter change semi synthetic oil
Rear diff fluid changed
Rotated wheels.
Full inspection

Thank you!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dealer 100% backed insurance if something happens to you car like scratches, rim damage, door dings, stolen items, or worst...engine damage?
Do it yourself or have some idiot local shop $8hr tech do it and these things happen?your **** out of luck and paying out of pocket.
Any independent mechanic shop worth its salt will likely have at least a $1M/occurrence garage liability insurance policy. . . .

·
Registered
713 Posts
we are blessed in that the two Acura shops we used for service, Niello in Roseville CA, and one in Salt Lake UT do wonderful work. I guess it all depends on how much time and spare change you have. I buy parts wholesale, and the labor is usually put into a package so it isn't worth me spending my evening crawling under the car. In fact I have been trying all week to work up the motivation to finish the last part of installing fog lamps in my 2015. The lamps are in the bumper but I hate fighting with the plastic cover on the steering column. It gave me fits on my 2014. And, I can't wait to finish putting new heads on my VW bus and then sell it. All those boxes of spare parts - and I can start getting rid of specialty tools. Tired of boxes and boxes of parts, tools, etc. Last thing I want is to start a MDX collection of boxes. There is a point in life where it is easier to let someone else do the work.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Heck I can wash and wax my MDX myself for 4 dollars in wax and 30 minutes of my time. Same for the vacuum. Tire rotation? I have two tire shops close to me that will do it for free. Letting them do the oil and filter? Maybe as long as their competetive.
Brake service? What is necessary? Look at the pads to be sure their not worn out? Fluid change? Not likely until at around 100K miles.
Come on most of this is fluff to pump up dealer profit.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Heck I can wash and wax my MDX myself for 4 dollars in wax and 30 minutes of my time. Same for the vacuum. Tire rotation? I have two tire shops close to me that will do it for free. Letting them do the oil and filter? Maybe as long as their competetive.
Brake service? What is necessary? Look at the pads to be sure their not worn out? Fluid change? Not likely until at around 100K miles.
If you're not changing your rear diff fluid until 100k then you're MDX is gonna be F**ked, lol.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
For 2016 MDX Adv/Ent Sh-AWD 44,257mies

A16 Service for $240 - Is this really necessary as I'm thinking about getting an oil change only? At last OC, I paid $200 for B1 service which I thought was a wa$te.

Inspect Driveshaft Boots
Inspect Exhaust System
Did I mention rear diff fluid? Nooooooo!
And yet, there it is.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Brake fluids should be changed every 3 years/approx 36k miles... 100k would give you very hydroinfused, dark brake fluid that will likely cause spongey braking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Please learn to read. I was talking about brake fluid. I guess your stuck on the diff service, so you missed it.
OP was taking about rear diff, so how am I responsible for your "LOOK! SQUIRREL" moment?

As for brake fluid, unless you're driving 33k miles a year, waiting until 100k is a BAD idea.

I'd change it every 2-3 years MAX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts