Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are on a 4-hour trip the other day, and stop to fill up near the end (23.7 mpg, actual, BTW).

Filled the tank till the handle shut off, cut it back on for two seconds, it clicks off again, no spill over or anything.

Turn around to put the handle away and get the gas receipt, get it, take the cap out of the holder, and then gas starts pouring out of the tank at about the speed taht you would pour it into a lawn mower.

Wife and I watched amazed for about 10 seconds, and when it didn't stop, I capped it (had about a 3' puddle on the ground).:eek:

What's up with this? Never happened before...was parked on flat ground. A burp in the EGR system?

jh

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Very interesting. I never have that kind of problem before. If you find out what is wrong, post here. I will like to find out WHY as well.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
NTENNA said:
...Filled the tank till the handle shut off, cut it back on for two seconds, it clicks off again, no spill over or anything...jh
NTENNA,
I believe the filler cap says remove the nozzle after it shuts off for the first time and don't overfill. Have the same warning on our Subaru so maybe what you just experienced is the reason for it. That extra 2-second pump you are giving it is probably close to 0.1 gallon more which is equivalent volume to a can of beer. I bet if don't give the nozzle the extra 2-second squeeze you won't have this problem again.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There were previous reports of gas spills on over-fills. Do a search in Problems folder

I have had gas poured in after the shut-off on numerous occasions by attendants trying to bring $$$ to a round number. Never a spill. I myself rarely try that on self-service stations, especially since I mostly pay with plastic.

Damn New Jersy for not allowing self-service stations. But having gas $.25 per gallon less than in NY, who really cares!

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are actually TWO separate problems

I too have experienced THIS problem, as well as the "Top Off" problem.

Problem #1) With every vehicle I have ever own, I have always been able to top off the gas to the next even dollar value without a problem. With my MDX, it can and will spill over with as little as an additional .10, so I NEVER top off any more.

Problem #2) After filling until the pump auto-stops, but NOT replacing the cap quickly, gas suddenly starts to flow out. This problem first surface for me last summer while traveling from Chicago on a vacation throughout Colorado. On four separate occasions, typically very hot days, at four separate gas stations, in three different states, the pump would stop and I would be cleaning the windows and several seconds later, the gas would begin to flow out. I assumed this was a heat related issue and the cold gas was expanding in the hot tank causing it to flow out. This past February on a very Cold evening, afer the pump auto-stopped, I was cleaning salt spray off the windows, and after several seconds, gas began to overflow again.

I called the dealer again and they replaced some Evaporator components and a CheckValve. Three days later, it happened again. I cannot reproduce this problem a will either. Most of the time I can leave the cap off for several seconds/minutes without any problems, then just when you think it will never happen again, Out Flows the Gas! FYI, I have over 17,000 miles on my MDX.

Dan

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Most people ignore the top off warning sign at gas stations. It is there for the precise reason stated here, because some vehicles are more susceptible to the problem than others.

For me, on any car, when it clicks off that's it. Why risk spilt fuel, getting it on clothes, and skin, on the paint, etc.? Plus, repeated overfills can damage the charcoal canister in the vapor recovery system.
Even at that I had a problem in Wash. state where the shutoff mechanism did not work! That was a horrible mess. I tried to bring it to the attention of the attendant, who said . "Oh thanks, we'll take care of it." When I went back I noticed an outline on the ground where it obviously happened before. You would have thought they would lock up the pump!!
The next morning I called the State dept. of Weights & Measures, and they took a full report on the phone saying they will have someone out there today. I can't understand a nonchalant attitude about something so potentially dangerous.
Keep pumping for a few extra drops? I think that's nonesense.
Ok Ok I am off my soapbox...damn, I better get the car filled up! Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is too weird -- this just happened to me this afternoon and I came home to see if anyone else has had this happen - and boom there you are.

I did NOT top it off -- when the pump clicked I pulled it out, put it in the holder looked down and a damn waterfall was flowing out of my car! I was mortified.

When I looked in the tank, there is no little flap where the nozzle goes in -- is that normal on the MDX? My Avalon has this.

Someone please check their tank and report back, because I was thinking that there was one and it broke off and that's why it overflowed. But what do I know about gas tanks!!!

:mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A tank that pumps gas continued

While I appreciate everybody's comments about not topping off (and pretty much agree, since I don't like to spill gas....), this is really like the #2 situation described by Dan.

Reason I am sensative, once drove off leaving the nozzle in the tank, ripped off the handle and REALLY spilled gas, FD came out and everything, guess who paid for the spill and the dent in my pickup:( , but I digress.....

This was not a can of beer that came out either, it was a whole pitcher, and it was still coming when I capped it!

So, what have we got here, a real situation that Acura needs to address?

Is a poll in order?

Or maybe it will never happen again if I quit at the first shut-off. But then you gottta figure that no two nozzles are set afor the same cut-off.

Thanks for the input.....

jh

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Don't top off

That used to happen to me also. I stopped topping off tank, what I mean is when the pump kicks off round off to the nearest .05 cents. Don't go to the next dolloar. If you do you will get a burst of gas burp after you remove nozzle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Top Off

Assuming most people pay with plastic with the self serve pumps, why top off at all? I don't, and have never had a problem with either MDX (we have 2) ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is NOT a Top-Off Issue !!!!!!!

Please stop harping on not topping off.

If you "read" what is actually being posting here, you will see that the common symptom is that the gas begins to flow out after the FIRST auto-shutoff !!! And it is not just an ounce or two that comes out. I've had occassions where I bet at least a gallon came out. It can happen within a few seconds of the auto-shutoff, to several seconds/minutes of the auto-shutoff.

Please note my point here; This is NOT a "Top Off" issue and IMO, a serious safety issue. I will be calling my dealer and ACURA again this morning.

Dan

Problem #2) After filling until the pump auto-stops, but NOT replacing the cap quickly, gas suddenly starts to flow out. This problem first surface for me last summer while traveling from Chicago on a vacation throughout Colorado. On four separate occasions, typically very hot days, at four separate gas stations, in three different states, the pump would stop and I would be cleaning the windows and several seconds later, the gas would begin to flow out. I assumed this was a heat related issue and the cold gas was expanding in the hot tank causing it to flow out. This past February on a very Cold evening, after the pump auto-stopped, I was cleaning salt spray off the windows, and after several seconds, gas began to overflow again.

I called the dealer again and they replaced some Evaporator components and a CheckValve. Three days later, it happened again. I cannot reproduce this problem a will either. Most of the time I can leave the cap off for several seconds/minutes without any problems, then just when you think it will never happen again, Out Flows the Gas!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dan ...

No more coffee this morning, OK?

I think we all understood what your original post meant. The segue was to a related problem that's been talked about before.

Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Markedoc ...

OK, OK, I am now switching to DECAF!!

I didn't intend to sound so "sharp", but I have been rather frustrated by the lack of sensitivity and/or urgency I have received from my dealer and Acura todate, regarding this issue.

Later,
Dan

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Dan,
Who is your dealer? I have been taking mine to McGrath in Westmont and their service and responsiveness has been really good. They also have Saturday hours with Acura loaners so schlepping down from Barlett wouldn't be that painful. Hopefully that next pot of Decaf doesn't spill over on you!;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Dan, do not let them undermine your determination. This problem sounds way too serious to give in to all the pressure and ridicule. If I were to give up about a year ago after all the jokes and an INFAMOUS Remery's remark to crank up the volume, chances are THUD would still not be fixed. :mad:

Although I thankfully did not experience this problem myself, it is important for all MDX owners to get to the bottom of this.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
dkarys -- I'm with you all the way -- atleast a gallon if not more came out of mine! I'm afraid to get gas again!

Let me know what your dealer says -- I got mine at Continental and haven't called them yet. I wanted to see what everyone here had to say --

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
It is a top-off issue!!

You just don't realize it yet!!!!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I haven't had the problem in nearly 9000 miles, and I often DO top off. But then I put the cap back on immediately after refueling.

By any chance did you leave the engine running when you were filling the tank? With the engine and fuel pump running, the fuel is recirculating back into the tank at (almost) all times; this MIGHT be the cause of your problem.

BTW, leaving the engine running while refueling is illegal in NC, but if you remind anyone who is doing so, you'll be told where to go in no uncertain terms!:mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
No Running Engine

I can't speak for the rest, but I NEVER leave the engine running while pumping gas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It happened to me

I had read the warnings about topping off, so after the pump shuts off, I add enough to bring it up to the next tenth of a gallon. That makes my mileage calculations more accurate and only adds a couple of ounces. I then usually let it sit while I clean the windows and let the pump 'drain' (to minimize dripping when I pull it out). I have never had a problem with this procedure on my MDX in over 20 fillups.

HOWEVER, on our last trip the pump we stopped had didn't have an auto-shutoff. So, I asked my wife to hold the nozzle while I cleaned the windows. She swears she let go as soon as it shut off (no 'top off' at all), but after a couple of minutes I notice the 'gushing out' behavior that others have described. It was pouring out, so I quickly replace the cap to stop the flow.

It is possible that there is a difference between the fully automatic stop (with a lever on the nozzle) and a 'manual' auto-shutoff (where you hold the nozzle), since the flow rate may vary in hand holding. For instance, she may have been holding it tight for maximum flow, whereas I usually set the lever on the middle position to minimize trapped air. (I once had a car that I had to 'burp' to get in the last 2 gallons!) (I don't think the tank was really full on my wife's unfortunate fill up, since the calculated mileage was unusually high for the previous tank and unexpectedly low for that tank. Both were 100% interstate driving.)

So, perhaps it is rate of fill more than topping off that causes this. In any case, I now replace the cap as soon as the pump shuts off, so it won't happen again.

- Conrad

1 - 20 of 43 Posts