Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle is 2004 MDX, Today while driving on the high way, i notice the A/T temp light was on (Not blinking).I drove additional one minutes trying to look for a safe location to pull over and i notice the vehicle rev without increase in acceleration as if i press the turbo while in idle mode or park position.

I slow down to pull over, when i notice light white smoke coming from the hood at driver side very close to the windscreen.

I opened the hood i notice the smoke coming from transmission, can say specifically at what point.

The engine temperature is okay, the D5 not blinking and the A/T temp light stays on and not flashing.

I have to call a towing vehicle to tow it and should be delivered later today, i will appreciate suggestion on possible causes, previous experiences and solution and also best way to diagnose the issue

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Low fluid level would be first thing to check. Check AT cooling line fittings at the radiator for possible leaks or separation from radiator.

good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After thorough inspection, found out that the ATF was dripping out of the solenoid. We loose the solenoid and the picture of the gasket above is what was left of the gasket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems my trouble is far from over,

Today i hit the highway again and i notice the A/T Temp light again, after the gasket failure on Monday, i have used this car Monday to Saturday in the city with no issue at all. I had to stop twice to allow the engine to cool before finally getting to the next state.

But while returning to my state, i ensure i didn't drive above 60mph and the A/T temp didn't come up but i got a check engine light P0741 (TCC circuit stuck off).

Despite the code P0741, the vehicle perform normal and i didn't notice any hardship while driving.

Am beginning to think their is more to this A/T temp than gasket failure that i notice earlier.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If your TCC won't lock up, then you will easily overheat the trans on long highway drives. Better get it looked at by a pro before you are into it thousands of dollars because waiting until later trying to figure it out in the mean time will almost certainly require a rebuild.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update,

So while trying to troubleshoot the P0741 based on the instruction on the service manual, after opening the hood i notice that at operating temperature the radiator fan was not rolling as expected and the engine was not overheating.

I also notice that within every 10 minutes the two fan comes up (not full speed) for like 4 seconds and stop while the Air Condition is off. I didn't expect the two to come up while the air condition is off.

Sometimes the radiator fan comes up alone in full speed for like 4 seconds and stop again.

So can the improper working condition of the fan caused A/T Temp (trans temperature high) and can this caused P0741 code (TCC stuck off)

Somehow i disconnected the battery which made the P0741 disappear and i have also connected the two cooling fan direct so that they kick off once i start the engine. I drove the car yesterday and am yet to see the code or A/T temp light.

At operating temperature (86 degC) the fan should kick off continuously, am not living in Antarctica, average weather in west africa is around 29 - 33 degree Celsius. The hot coolant returning from the engine/transmission will not be sufficiently cooled before going back into the engine

The system didn't throw code for ECT sensor or Thermostat.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Fans are independently controlled by PCM based on coolant temperature input to PCM. You risk damaging PCM w/ direct voltage to fans, depending on how you have rigged power delivery.

Unlikely related to AT overtemp issue. Possibly faulty AT temp sensor. Check circuit and sensor.

good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts