Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great project! I imagine it be won’t be cheap to do though. How are you doing research/finding part numbers? Do you have access to SIS or service express, or are you trudging through the parts websites? I hate looking under the hood and not having A service manual to look at to figure out what an unfamiliar item is!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is the one thing I love about Honda/Acura - Parts are normally reasonable. I think to order all the lights and donatation harnesses, it was $200 or so? Reasonable in my mind.

I use AcuraPartsWarehouse.com because of diagrams. So it made it fairly easy to identify the necessary lighting pieces and harnesses with male-connectors for donators. The lighting system is setup as a “series” electrical connection as opposed to “parallel” connections. So that was a little surprising to me, so it wasn’t as simple as just changing out harnesses because of that - that’s a whole other conversation and comes with it’s own set of complications without electrical diagrams. The fact that some lights could be red while other lights could be white (or any other combination you roll with), meant I had to pick where I wanted to splice into the harness.

I dont have the electrical diagrams, so I’m trying to just splice into the correct lines where possible and ensure the lights light up. I’ll set everything up ”parallel“ for now. The only lights I wonder if I’d be better off running a series will be the dash lighting and the center console lighting. I’ll try it parallel first because that’s just easier, but if the lighting dims for whatever reason (because those are bigger LEDs and may draw more power than what the amp provides for parallel connection), I’ll have to go back and set it up for a series connection to allow for better power flow. My gut tells me parallel connections will be just fine - LEDs don’t draw that much power…
Kudos to you for having the patience to figure out what you need and experiment! I’m an electrical engineer and car electrical always has gone against normal practices you’d use elsewhere. Like switching neutral side of circuits etc. Auto manufacturers design to save wiring/money. I’m sure the series circuit for LEDs falls into that category somehow. when you make millions of the same car and have mostly specially trained technicians to fix, they can afford to design things that aren’t easily traceable by the layman (especially when they don’t let you have access to manuals and schematics). But this will be a challenging, fun project for you! And yes, Honda parts are reasonable and every part in the car is well thought out, once you understand what they intended.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts