Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MDX SH-AWD w/Tech, 2001 MDX AWD w/Nav
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 2020 A-Spec bumper garnish and tailpipes on my 2020 Tech. The tailpipes aren't centered in the cutouts of the bumper. They are noticeably biased towards in inside. I have not been able to identify any different parts between the A-Spec and Tech that would account for this. Googling some images of the A-Spec I can find some where they appear centered and others that appear slightly biased inward, although not as much as mine. It can be hard to tell depending on the angle of the photo. Can anyone with an A-Spec comment on how this should look?

Here is a rendering of the A-Spec on Acura's website where they appear perfectly centered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a photo I found of a 2019 with off center tailpipes which suggests this I normal.

And here is a 2020:

Even the 2020 PMC is doing it:

I guess all the images of MDX with centered pipes are computer generated. I think I will take mine to a muffler shop to have the tailpipes put where they should have been.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
601 Posts
I would like to do the same thing with my 2018 Tech. Can I ask how much you have invested in this mod?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to do the same thing with my 2018 Tech. Can I ask how much you have invested in this mod?
It cost $650 in parts.

71510-TYS-A00ZJ Rear Bumper Face Skid (White) $400 from local dealer w/discount
18340-TYR-A01 Left Tailpipe $125 from Bernardi
18330-TYR-A01 Right Tailpipe $125 from Bernardi

I did it at the same time I installed the hitch. Had I not done the hitch I would have needed another part(replaced by the A-Spec hitch kit) which would have added:

71508-TYS-A00 Rear Hitch Garnish $108 from Bernardi

These are all 2020 parts. I don't know if there are different parts for you 2018. The shipping can be a killer on these, especially the first part. The online dealers have wildly different shipping costs and I think a lot of dealers calculate shipping that Rear Bumper Face Skid by freight which is very expensive. So for me it was cheaper to get it local.

It turned out to be very fortunate that I was installing the A-Spec hitch kit because those instructions include removal of the rear bumper (not necessary to install the hitch for the other trim levels).

The splash guard installation instructions were also helpful in taking my splash guards off.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts