Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have an Acura MDX 2022 A-Spec.

The fuel consumption is not what I expected. Yes, I'm in Quebec (Canada) with winter tires and "cold" weather but 20L/100KM (14MPG)?

I just came back from the dealership and everything seems fine.

I mainly do short distances and a bit of highways so I'm not expecting what you see on the website... but 14 MPG ??

Am I the only one up North with that problem? If you're in Florida, maybe your data cannot compare but are there anybody that could relate or help in any way?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,024 Posts

The fuel consumption is not what I expected. Yes, I'm in Quebec (Canada) with winter tires and "cold" weather but 20L/100KM (14MPG)?

I mainly do short distances and a bit of highways so I'm not expecting what you see on the website... but 14 MPG ??

Am I the only one up North with that problem? If you're in Florida, maybe your data cannot compare but are there anybody that could relate or help in any way?
Florida man here.

Do you by any chance have a lead foot? And why do you mean "If you're in Florida, maybe your data cannot compare..."? Exactly what is your point here for singling out the Sunshine state, where temps do drop to high 20s and low 30s during winter time.

The horrible fuel consumption is based on multiple factors here: tire pressures and driving behaviour. Just because I live in Florida doesn't always yield me the best fuel consumption results. Your commutes are another factor here, since you stated you commute/drive short distances. And if its mostly city driving with lots of stop and go traffic and slow speeds, yes of course you will see these types of fuel data.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't mean to insult you! Sorry about that.

It is not rare to have between -5°F and 5°F so that was what I tried to explain here.

It seemed, at the dealership, that the weather was a major factor according to them.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,024 Posts
Weather has nothing to do with low fuel mileage at all. My lowest was 15 MPG in the middle of Summer where temps were in the 90s low 100s.

·
Registered
22 MDX A-spec Performance Red also 20 RDX A-spec Black over red
13 Posts

How many miles do you have on your MDX?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Lots of factors influence fuel economy. Excluding the individual's driving style and the sheer mass of the MDX, your poor fuel economy is likely low due to winter blend fuel and the effects of living in a cold climate during winter.
More info on cold weather fuel efficiency here:

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
379 Posts
So you will definitely see a difference in fuel mileage between winter and summer driving. Presuming you’re not using A/C, you will typically result in a slightly better gas mileage in the summer time vs the winter time. But in my experience, we’re talking like 1-2mpg blended average Depending on driving behavior.

That said, 14mpg does seem quite low. The lowest I‘ve seen mine is 18.8mpg and it quickly moved up to 19.5 once I hit the highway. Back in August - September, I was getting 22-23mpg. I’m not sure I can really provide you much advice other than if you really want to test it, don’t warm up your car, drive like a grandpa for about a month and see what your results are. I’d be surprised if you weren’t at least at 17-18mpg. Very hard to diagnose though and I agree, I was a little disappointed coming from a CX-9 Signature (2.5T 250hp/320tq) that consistently got 24.5 mpg (22mpg in the winter). So while I expected 23-24mpg from the MDX 3.5L, I’m hard pressed to get that on my most conservative efforts of driving.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also live in Quebec and have been dealing with the colder weather.

I’ve had the MDX since August and I’m averaging 12.6L/100kms (18.6 mpg). I’d say 70% city and 30% highway driving with premium fuel.

Back to the original question, 20L/100kms seems really low. I would guess there’s lots of stop and go driving to get that mileage.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,024 Posts
Not sure that’s accurate.…

Okay then. If weather was a factor, why would my worst MPG occurred during August, when its hot?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Okay then. If weather was a factor, why would my worst MPG occurred during August, when its hot?

Because your tires were low? Because traffic sucked? Because your trips were shorter on average and the fuel mixture hadn’t leaned out as much? Because you had a lead foot? Because the car was due for a tune up? Because the gas formulation changed? Who knows? Either way, somehow I suspect the DOE & EPA knows a bit more about fuel economy than your single data point with your car.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,024 Posts
Because your tires were low? Because traffic sucked? Because your trips were shorter on average and the fuel mixture hadn’t leaned out as much? Because you had a lead foot? Because the car was due for a tune up? Because the gas formulation changed? Who knows? Either way, somehow I suspect the DOE & EPA knows a bit more about fuel economy than your single data point with your car.
Yeah, I wouldn't use EPA or DOE as the sources at all, since the government did loose all credibility IMHO during these past 20 or so months. However, funny part here, when I hit 112 MPH frequently, it was within the past 2 months, yet still yielded higher MPGs. And even before my 250 mile commutes, I still never touched 15 MPG at all, while having a lead foot.

Tire PSI never went below 35 psi at all. MDX was in the neighborhood of 62k to 63k miles at the time (exactly at the time when it had an OC).

And this was out of 100k miles driven over the course of 3 years and over multiple vehicles, not just one.

Also the thing about it being weather related. If this is true, then in the low temps (high 20s low to mid 30s) I should have seen 10 MPG or less, with this logic applied, over multiple vehicles. I'm just stating facts from my own data that I've collected and gathered over 100k+ miles, multiple vehicles, and within a 3 year time frame.

Well, to put this whole discussion to rest, hop over to the 3rd gen page in the near future where I will be posting a thorough analysis of driving 34k+ miles on the MDX in a year. All pure data, minus emissions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't use EPA or DOE as the sources at all, since the government did loose all credibility IMHO during these past 20 or so months. However, funny part here, when I hit 112 MPH frequently, it was within the past 2 months, yet still yielded higher MPGs. And even before my 250 mile commutes, I still never touched 15 MPG at all, while having a lead foot.

Tire PSI never went below 35 psi at all. MDX was in the neighborhood of 62k to 63k miles at the time (exactly at the time when it had an OC).

And this was out of 100k miles driven over the course of 3 years and over multiple vehicles, not just one.

Also the thing about it being weather related. If this is true, then in the low temps (high 20s low to mid 30s) I should have seen 10 MPG or less, with this logic applied, over multiple vehicles. I'm just stating facts from my own data that I've collected and gathered over 100k+ miles, multiple vehicles, and within a 3 year time frame.

Well, to put this whole discussion to rest, hop over to the 3rd gen page in the near future where I will be posting a thorough analysis of driving 34k+ miles on the MDX in a year. All pure data, minus emissions.

After all those at fault accidents you may want to slow down before you kill yourself or worse - someone else. Say what you want about the government but when it comes to this stuff I can promise they’ve got more data points and data scientists than you do…. but sure you’re the expert.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't use EPA or DOE as the sources at all, since the government did loose all credibility IMHO during these past 20 or so months. However, funny part here, when I hit 112 MPH frequently, it was within the past 2 months, yet still yielded higher MPGs.
I'm jealous of your ignorance, it must make life so fun!

If you don't don't trust the information provided by a government agency then perhaps you should fact-check your opinions with a different source. Is the Society of Automotive Engineers credible enough for you? ... probably not because what do they know

In case you forgot, Florida is not a cold climate so your winter fuel economy is not reflective of what owners in the north experience.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glad some of you are reporting your gas mileage. I have a 2020 MDX and rarely get below 20MPG....In Kalifornia with lots of up and down driving, mix of freeway and roads. I'll likely stay away from the 22 MDX based on the gas mileage I'm reading about. I can't believe with their new Gen MDX they didn't work on better fuel consumption.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 2022 mdx engine is basically the same as last gen. Expect similar mpg. A lot of these reported numbers are because the pistons aren't even broken in yet. The only real engine change is on the type s version
The notion that pistons aren't broken in caused dramatic swings fuel economy is malarkey. My 2020 new got better mileage in the first 600 miles than it does now at 10K, but I rarely see below 18MPG ever. 14MPG, I'd sell and buy something else. I think Acura did a poor job of delivering a "next gen" over=hyped vehicle without improving gas mileage and it's why this will be my last Acura. I'm over the Honda misses.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts