Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, fellow MDXers, I recently replaced the timing belt for a non-interference Toyota engine. When I installed the camshaft seal, due to lack of space, I had to use a seal installer and kinda 'screw' the seal in. While doing that I moved the cam shaft clockwise for about 30 degrees. For that Toyota engine, this is no big deal, just need to turn the camshaft clockwise another 330 degrees. However, I am concerned what would happen if the same thing happens when I do the TB job on J37? Would this become a total disaster? If so, how to absolutely make sure that the cam shaft won't rotate independent of crankshaft on J37?

This also happened when I tried to put the belt on and rotate the engine for the 1st time afterwards. The belt always skipped one extra tooth. It took me several times to get it just right. Is it possible for this to happen on J37? Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Replacing the camshaft seal shouldn't cause the camshaft to rotate.

As for the timing belt, check the timing BEFORE you rotate the engine. Do not rotate until you are confident the timing is correct.

On a J-series it shouldn't be a problem. You can use a camshaft sprocket holder to "lock" the two camshafts in position if you really want to be careful -- but it isn't necessary. Being off by a tooth won't cause any damage if you're not rotating the engine... Just identify the issue and correct it BEFORE you rotate the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts