Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this video by ChrisFix.

but I have a question. After the guy drain the coolant the first time, refilled with distilled water and drove for 10 minutes and came back, he waited till coolant cooled down and drained the coolant again.

My question is that after the coolant is cool, the thermostat would have closed, how could he drain all the coolant from the engine block? Even he turned on the car for a few seconds, I doubt that most of the water is still inside. So there is no way for him to really get all the water out, right?

If I missed something, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
ChrisFix do general purpose videos so take them with a grain of salt.

Honda/Acura flush procedure is the best you can do as it removes more or less 95% of the old Antifreeze in the system. The remaining antifreeze is just too little and will get diluted in the new fresh Antifreeze.

If you are not familiar with the Correct Honda/Acura flush look it up.. We have drain block plugs to remove most of the Antifreeze in the block, You can easily spot it in the 2G, Its just besides the VTEC Solenoid, Behind the intermediate shaft and its a bronze fitting.

Here is the DIY: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/55914-diy-guide-step-step-how-change-coolant-acura-mdx-w-pictures.html

Reactions: Blinger Reefer

·
Registered
734 Posts
ChrisFix may have removed the thermostat, and neglected to mention it.

EricTheCarGuy didn't even bother to empty the coolant from the engine block. He just drained the radiator and refilled.

I did mine about a month ago using Delirium330 DIY. I emptied the radiator, reservoir, and the engine block, but the refill only took about a gallon and 1-2 quarts. I expected to be something a little over gallons. Yes, I did check the coolant level before draining, it was perfectly level. Oh one tip, do not open the reservoir cap before you loosen the engine block drain plug. This way, when you loosen the drain plug the coolant wouldn't rush out. It caught me off guard. I let the coolant dripped from the engine block, then I opened the reservoir cap and walked away to get something to suck the coolant out. When I came back, coolant was all over the ground! I suspected once I opened the res cap, I released the pressure causing the coolant to gush out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is a good tip by nzone re: draining the engine block. Definitely take your time and be satisfied with a very low flow drain from the engine block (i.e., just get enough of a slight twist on the bronze fitting and jam the hose up in there). Should take 10-15 min with a slow flow.

Also, read the entire thread since I recently added two additional posts with tips and edits to the original procedure. I've PM'd two moderators to give me access to edit the original post for ease of use/continuity but nobody responds to me. Oh well...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts