Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen other posters mention loosing their trip history, but I don't think I've seen a definitive way to reproduce the error.

After 3200 miles on my '02 Touring/Nav, it finally ocurred. The one thing I noticed that I'd never done before: I left the gas filler compartment door open, started the engine, and drove off.

So here's the experiment to prove it (some of these steps might be extra, but I think at first I'd go through them all to try to reproduce the problem, then take steps out):
1) Fill your tank.
2) Put the filler cap back on, but leave the compartment door open.
3) Get in, shut the cab doors.
4) Start the engine.
5) Let nav computer finish booting up.
6) Press the joystick to get rid of the disclaimer screen (that's what I usually do instead of pushing the onscreen OK button).
7) Press the AC/trip button.
8) Note whether the history is erased or not.

By the way, my "reset on refill" option (or whatever it's called) was also magically changed to OFF.

Naturally, since my history just got lost, I can't try this myself for awhile.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dunno about the trip history erase (thankfully haven't experienced it), but love the joystick idea--hadn't thought about that--much easier to do without even looking...

Thanks!
Rob :31:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've never left the door open but I've had the problem on a recurring basis from the start. I'm currently at about 13K miles and have had the factory update done, which was supposed to fix it, but didn't.

This is only a minor annoyance, but considering that we've all paid top dollar, Acura should be doing more to fix this. They obviously haven't got it right yet.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, does not replicate the problem.

I had the opportunity to try the "recipe" to reproduce the problem this morning. Followed instructions faithfully -- history still there.:( ;)

I wonder if it's a combination of buffered input and pilot error. That is, if the computer buffers the user input (screen presses), you could be pushing a button on one screen (you think) but the computer is already leaving that screen, and you're really pushing a button in the same location on the new screen.

This is a really common error in touch-screen systems.

The trip odometer sounds a buzzer and requires steady pressing for several seconds before resetting. It's kind of lame that the history reset doesn't have similar protection. :(

The kind of reasoning most system designers use in determining when to add protective layers to controls (like on the odometer, or "Really delete this file?"-type warnings on computers) is to ask whether the loss the user incurs due to inadvertantly activating the control (generally an infrequent event) outweighs the added encumbrance of the protection (which you pay every time you use the feature). Also balanced against likely complaints, because users complain about anything they don't like, even when the thing they don't like doesn't really have any bad consequence.

However, all that said, consistency is a hallmark of a good design. The trip odometer and the history are so similar, I think it's reasonable that the same paradigm should have been applied to each. Whether the paradigm should be the protection scheme or the protectionless scheme is a judgement call.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Not our cause

I have been unable to replicate and/or pipnpoint the cause of the Trip History erases. I do know that in our case it is NOT related to leaving the gas cap off. I was one of the first to report the Trip History problem (there is an old thread) and have experienced the problem intermittantly w/o once having left the gas cap off. In fact my son moved the car at an out-of-order pump back in May and the gas cap was off - the Trip History was NOT erased on that occaision.

The one constant I have noticed in our case is that the erasing of the Trip History is ALWAYS associated with the Auto Reset w/ Fillup setting itself to Off:confused:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
msu79gt82 wrote:
The one constant I have noticed in our case is that the erasing of the Trip History is ALWAYS associated with the Auto Reset w/ Fillup setting itself to Off
That does seem to be a constant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts