Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this demo'd in a shopping mall this weekend. It actually works through any radio at home or in the car.
The disavantage is you still need to hold the phone somehow, so it's not really hands free although once connected I suppose you could just lay it down or stick in the recess by the door handle.

Plus it obviously will not charge your phone's battery and also needs batteries itself.

Using it at home will not give you privacy, but allow more than one person to listen and talk.

They were selling it for $39 in the mall, here it is at more realistic price:

http://www.wackyplanet.com/carbaby.html

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ron Popiel must be wishin' he'd thought of that one!
:21:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy in the mall had to be about the most high pressure salesman I have experienced in years.
I let him hook it to my cell because I was curious how it worked. Then I told him the disadvantages, because I had the CCM that charges the cell battery when not in use, etc. etc. ...
He says, "OK OK buy them for your kids then!"
I told him my kid already has all the gadgets he needs and is old enough to buy them for himself.
" Well, buy them as gifts..."
Now we are into buying 'them' not just one...man, he was desparate for a $40 item not worth half that much.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I remember that photo from way back when.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dale,

I hope you wont be kicking yourself when someone does sells those headbands and makes a fortune. (I shouldnt talk, I will also be kicking myself - like the time I had this rock named Bumpy....).:2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ifeldman said:
Dale,

I hope you wont be kicking yourself when someone does sells those headbands and makes a fortune. (I shouldnt talk, I will also be kicking myself - like the time I had this rock named Bumpy....).:2:
Well, I live about 15 mlles from the bar onced owned by the Pet Rock magnate.
The last I heard he left this world, but did not leave much behind.
Some people know how to make money, others know how to keep it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the gratuitous plug. You're right -- the Car Baby system isn't perfect because of the phone placement issue. We are having clips made that allow the phone to be attached to the dashboard. I have also seen clips that allow attachment of cell phones to the sun visor but I'm not sure where to buy them.
Wacky Arthur @ Wacky Planet

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wacky Arthur said:
Thanks for the gratuitous plug. You're right -- the Car Baby system isn't perfect because of the phone placement issue. We are having clips made that allow the phone to be attached to the dashboard. I have also seen clips that allow attachment of cell phones to the sun visor but I'm not sure where to buy them.
Wacky Arthur @ Wacky Planet
Well, for $20 they are probably worth it, especially if people don't have such a system in their car already. Probably good for 2nd car or rental car, if it doesn't have a phone caddy. But the clips would be handy!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've never found a speaker-phone hands-free system worth much - they don't offer the privacy of head sets and earphones. Just my two cents!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts