Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 or 3 "problems" have developed recently (or at least I became aware of them recently)

1. Most Annoying

Driver's seat shifts and/or clicks during acceleration/breaking (NORMAL DRIVING, nothing crazy) Most noticeable in the left front side, although entire door-side part is "loose". When I put one of my hands on the seatback and another on the seat itself, I can actually "rock" the seat around the imaginary axes in the rear bottom of the seat. IMO, about 1/8"-3/16" of such movement. Tried to tighten the screws - all were tight anyway. Will wait another month for scheduled maintenance appt. to address this problem unless it gets worse.

Any similar experience?

2. I hear a metal vibration sound coming from the rear upon hitting potholes and stuff. Nothing similar to THUD though. More like keys in my pocket if I were to jump up-and-down. I vaguely remember this being mentioned before....

3. (How did I notice this one anyway??? :D)

Driver's windshield wiper shakes rather "violently" on the downswing. (Especially the lower end) I can't really "remember" noticing it - one needs to train his eyes for a few strokes to actually notice. But now that I know it's there I "see" it all the time :( Passenger wiper seems OK.

Anyone else cares to notice this? :D I used to "hear things" (THUD), did I start "seeing things" now????

Wait, is that Elvis???? :D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Hey vip9, how many miles are you at?

We are at ~20500 now and are experiencing none of the symptoms you describe. I was curious just how "old" is your MDX?

·
Registered
452 Posts
vip9 said:
2 or 3 "problems" have developed recently (or at least I became aware of them recently)

1. Most Annoying

Driver's seat shifts and/or clicks during acceleration/breaking (NORMAL DRIVING, nothing crazy) Most noticeable in the left front side, although entire door-side part is "loose". When I put one of my hands on the seatback and another on the seat itself, I can actually "rock" the seat around the imaginary axes in the rear bottom of the seat. IMO, about 1/8"-3/16" of such movement. Tried to tighten the screws - all were tight anyway. Will wait another month for scheduled maintenance appt. to address this problem unless it gets worse.

Any similar experience?

Mine does the same thing at 8,000 miles. Dealers says that's the way it is, they all do it.

Chris

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Msu: mine has mere 9K on it. She is a year-and-a-half old though. :(

MGTD: not to "argue" with dealers :eek:, but mine DID NOT do it until a few weeks ago. I doubt it that my butt suddenly became over-sensitive. It is a very unpleasant distraction which I would have noticed looooooong ago.

Quick correction/addition - I did not try to rock the seat before, just this past weekend, so maybe some play was there since day 1 - who knows.:confused: However, I am 100% certain the seat did not "click" before!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
  1. There is a TSB for the seat rail issue, if that's what you have (sounds like it). Check the knowledgebase. I believe Rail actually started it, and it's called "seat moves on rails during turns". Basically, feels like an "old fashioned" manual seat that's not quite got the peg in the hole, if you know what I mean. Tightening screws won't fix it -- the rail needs replacement (I think). I don't have a copy of that TSB yet, but the # is 301001 issued in October.
  2. ?
  3. New wiper blades usually fix chatter.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Very timely

I also noticed the driver's seat shift a little. If I hit the driver's seat with my hand from the back, and then do the same to the front passneger's seat, there is more play in the driver's side. I mentioned it at the dealer today when it was in for the 7500 mile checkup. The dealer looked into it and said that the driver's seat frame would have to be replaced. I spoke to Tim at HondAcuraWorld.com about this and he said that it used to happen on CLs, and occurs when some rivets get loose.

You may want to mention the seat frame to your dealer. They will have the new one on Friday, and the MDX is going back in on Monday to have it replaced -- apparently about a 3 hour repair (under warranty).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for TSB info. My initial findings are such that the base of the seat (heavy plastic with all the controls, which, I assume, seats on those rails) does not really move. Just a cushion and that "cover-like" plastic that it seats on seem to move.

New wiper blades are probably in order since I still run on originals.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
TheWorm said:
my bad, it was remery who entered the KB issue:

http://www.acuramdx.org/kb_item.php?id=27
You bet your touche!!:eek:

vip9 - I did indeed have that problem and all you have to do is have your dealer replace the driver seat rail assembly. Rail had the same problem as I did. One caution. When they make the repair, they disconnect the electrical system or something like it and you lose your seat memory positions which I know doesn't affect you since you have a base model. However for those that have touring packages it will. Took me 2 weeks to get a comfortable setting again.

As for the dragging wiper blade - have you replaced the wiper refills since you took delivery? I replace mine every six months since the rubber dries out or gets coated with grundge so they drag. With all the dust in the air after 9/11, perhaps yours have deteriorated more rapidly than the rest of us.:(

·
Registered
452 Posts
remery said:

You bet your touche!!:eek:

vip9 - I did indeed have that problem and all you have to do is have your dealer replace the driver seat rail assembly. Rail had the same problem as I did.
I wonder if I can get them to put the rails back a few inches at the same time. Doubt it but I will ask.

Chris

·
Registered
242 Posts
Driver's seat shifting/popping is not normal

I had my seat tracks replaced long before the TSB came out. My tech could not reproduce my problems, so I went to the dealer and just moved the seat back and forth and it was clear that the seat was loose. You could hear the popping/creaking sound when moving the back support back and forth. If you dealer says this is normal, it is NOT, because I've had mine fixed and has never done it since. It took my dealer 2 days to fix it tough, but it was their first try at taking the seat apart. I don't exactly remember, buy my MDX had around 1000-2000 miles on it when this happened.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just to confirm what others have said. This IS a known problem (see TSB) and while *all* MDXs may do this :3: , they are NOT supposed to.

My entry from the knowledgebase:
Under Warranty dealer replaced:
851140 Front Seat Track/Slide Adjuster/Linkage 329WPA93
81630-S3V-A50 Adjuster Assy., L.
81660-S3V-A50 Adjuster, L. Slide
91566-SP0-003 Clip, Back Cover

Have done mimimal testing so far (quick U turns) and feels much better.
Have done further, much more aggressive, testing and it does indeed appear to be fixed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. I will definitely have TSB performed, however, I have doubts. What you all described was left-right movement during turns. Mine appears to be up-down during acceleration/breaking. Besides, I would guess rails are attached to the floor. Well, that big plastic base is not moving. Just the cushion and the top thin plastic thingy that hangs over that base.

Any takers for metal vibration sound from the rear?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
vip9: How about third-row shoulder belts not pulled snugly into their storage areas? (Their metal parts can rattle.) Another possibility is a loose jack.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
frostyra,

3rd row belts are tuckled in tight with those little hooks which came with them.

Loose jack is a good idea - did not think of it. Sound seems to come from rear-outside-bottom, but it may be that jack is hitting the inner side. Will check on that.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
frostyra said:
vip9: How about third-row shoulder belts not pulled snugly into their storage areas? (Their metal parts can rattle.) Another possibility is a loose jack.
I noticed when taking delivery of my X three weeks ago, the second row harness and belts were all attached and taut, as were the belts extended to down to the 3rd row folded seats.
I guess the dealer wanted to make sure we enjoyed a quiet ride, which we did.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Vip's few signs of aging

I had the seat rail issue fixed at the dealer. If you haven't done so yet, I can get you the details of what was done.

I also have that noise under the car when coming out of potholes. Has that been resolved? If so, what'd they do. I've had it in a few times and they constantly say that the problem can't be duplicated.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Vip's few signs of aging

soesed said:
I had the seat rail issue fixed at the dealer. If you haven't done so yet, I can get you the details of what was done.

I also have that noise under the car when coming out of potholes. Has that been resolved? If so, what'd they do. I've had it in a few times and they constantly say that the problem can't be duplicated.
Hi.

Soesed, thanx for your message.

The seats were fixed a few weeks ago - had to wait about a week for rails. So far rock-solid.

As far as metal vibrations are concerned - they gave me the same "standard" answer = cannot be duplicated. :mad:

I will have to find time one Saturday to actually go there and have a "date" with a tech. Service advisor excluded himself from a "listening tour"

Will definitely keep you all posted.

·
Registered
928 Posts
vip9 said:
Any takers for metal vibration sound from the rear?
I hear this too, also rarely usually when going over the roads with lots of bumps and cracks... it makes the sound of a 'loose muffler'!?
My guess though it's the metal plate next to the muffler that vibrates sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's a good thought.

I just took a look - My plate next to the muffler is not loose. I tried shaking the muffler/exhaust ... assembly. I really had to work to move it, but I was able to move it about an inch in either direction and it didn't make contact/any noise at all.

It definately sounds like metal to metal. It's easily reproducible coming out of a hole in the rode and generally can be reproduced going over a high, short speed bump.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts