Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I put down 500$ to hold a silver 2002 MDX from a local Acura dealer, it's due in some time in August. I have a few questions.
Should I wait for the 2003 due out sometime in Oct.?
I've been reviewing all of the TSB's for the MDX, can I assume that these "issues" have been addressed & corrected for the 2002 model? If not, should I bring these "issues" to the dealers attention prior to accepting delievery?(which 2002 issues still exist from the 2001 model line?)
What features will the 2003 version have that the 2002 dose not have?
Is it acceptable to purchase some of the upgrades from sources other than the dealer and have the dealer install my purchased parts (wheel well flares, rear wind deflector, side steps etc.) It seems that many of you in this forum did just that and saved some $.
Will undercoating the MDX void warrenty? I'm from the Northeast (upstate NY) and I'm concerned about salt/corrosion. Isn't there a 5 year rust thru warrenty? Is it applicable to the underside of the car? Also, the undercoating provides sound deadening. Would this be a waste of time/$ ?

Thats about it for now. I'm sorry I didn't do a full search of this forum for the answers I seek but I'll do so next time!

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Fewer dealers are asking for deposits these days, I hope they are not going over MSRP or forcing options on you.

Others, especially from the 'right coast' can better determine undercoat needs.
But I do know it can sometimes create more problems than it can prevent if not properly applied.

Personally, I set a cutoff month of May. If I was not able to get a car by May I would wait for a 2003.
That's your choice, but don't expect a 2003 before October at the very earliest.
Yes, earlier problems of the 2001 were corrected, but some other problems crept up in '02 which appear to be relatively low in occurrence. These should be the latest entries in the TSB or noted problems area.
There is some promise of more power in 2003 but that is neither confimed or defined.
Other than that, you will read of some quibbles we have with the MDX with regards to quality of the plastic in the interior (and using them too much) and such things as that. Overall, we are kind of picky people anyway, that's why we picked the MDX over the competition.
It's an excellent vehicle built by a company with an excellent reputation and I don't think you could go wrong which ever model year you choose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done the research, test drove Infinity QX4, Lexus rx300, Envoy as well as MDX. Moving out of a GMC Suburban to the MDX. Why?
Well, the SUV will be my wifes vechicle. For years we were happy Suburban owners but with my kids getting older, we don't need that much room. That and the gas mileage. My first impressions of the MDX were positive. Seating for 7, seats that fold flat! Great looking, sporty. It rides like a car. Quite for the most part with minimal road noise intrusion. Comfortable front seats with nice leg room in second row seats and exiting from the rear seat was alot easier vs the QX4.
Some critisisims, to much plastic inside, sound system even with touring package (test vechicle) not that great (Bose? Is there quality getting worse with time?) Bass is too muddy/boomy. Sort of hard to read led display in sunlight. Cost, especially for the add-on accessories.
I guess I'm being anal about some of this stuff but it has not disuaded me from making this purchase. The MDX answers to our needs. It's that simple.
As compared to the QX4, the MDX feels more quality. I've never owned a Acura, but it's time for a change. My main concerns are Quality & Service. I've had too many bad experiences with service in the past. I'm hoping Acura will give you the level of service that say a Lexus dealership would offer. The Lexus I drove was very nice but it didn't have the addition cargo space that the MDX offers. Yeah, it road better (emo) than the MDX, but it wasn't that much of a difference. The GMC Envoy, it road like a small Suburban.
I'm also wondering for a vechicle of this stature/cost, why isn't Xenon headlamps used? Also, are the beams adjustible to loading conditions like the QX4/Lexus?
So, I'm sort of venturing into new territory with Acura, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a pleasurable experience.
Thanks for your reply, this forum is the BEST!

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
cvol,

I think some features will be improved on the 2003 model, but can't promise you that. :eek:

If I am you, I will go for the 2002 model if you can receive the 'X in or before August. You probably won't see a 2003 model until late October or early November. I could feel there are improvements for 2003 model because of the Pilot they have for Honda. (i.e. Xenon headlight)

It is your choice. In anyway, you will be enjoying the 'X once you receive it. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding the body side moulding, is this after market or is it dealer installed? Is it part of a "protection package"? Thanks~!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Either way. You can order it and the dealer will install it, or go to hondacuraworld.com and buy it and decide whether to install yourself or not. At least it will be cheaper as an accessory. .
I don't have it myself. I think most do not have it on this site. Maybe one out of 3.
Do you plan to do towing? Are you ordering Navigation?
Read up on here, lots of info on both.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have body side moulding (BSM) (from tim) and recommend you get it. It's about 1/2 the cost of the dealer if you order from Tim & takes 10 minutes to put on. I did it & if I can - anyone can.

DaleB - interesting comment that you think only 1/3 of the forum members have BSM - I would bet it's a much higher ratio than that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, wouldn't want to get this wide of a vehicle without the BSM!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts